05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Dead pedals - How did you attach yours?

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/06, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead pedals - How did you attach yours?

Just received my DP from AutoVation. Not an exact match to my GT500 pedals, but good looking piece nonetheless. How did you guys attach yours? I've read in the Ultimate Pedal Group Buy thread that it's just foam under there. How long were your screws? How’s it holding? It there metal under there some where?

I remember someone saying they used dry wall expandable inserts.

Pic's of the install after it happens.
Old 9/5/06, 07:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by AFChief
Just received my DP from AutoVation. Not an exact match to my GT500 pedals, but good looking piece nonetheless. How did you guys attach yours? I've read in the Ultimate Pedal Group Buy thread that it's just foam under there. How long were your screws? How’s it holding? It there metal under there some where?

I remember someone saying they used dry wall expandable inserts.

Pic's of the install after it happens.
The screws AutoVation sends with the dead pedal are a joke WAY too short. I replaced mine with same type of screws just about twice as long. She has been holding strong for months now. Check my SIG for pics.
Old 9/5/06, 07:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Steeda one uses the factory bolt that is on the side by your foot. Was a PIA to loosen up, but the pedal mounts great.
Old 9/5/06, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
The screws AutoVation sends with the dead pedal are a joke WAY too short. I replaced mine with same type of screws just about twice as long. She has been holding strong for months now. Check my SIG for pics.
You got that right. First thing I noticed.
Old 9/6/06, 12:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

hey AFChief, where did u get that 281 emblem? thats probably the only exterior mod that not many have around here. always gotta be different!
Old 9/6/06, 01:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

nvr mind, just found it on here. thanks for the idea though!
Old 9/7/06, 04:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Fryguy
The Steeda one uses the factory bolt that is on the side by your foot. Was a PIA to loosen up, but the pedal mounts great.
I just wish it was wider! I have mine mounted as far to the right as I could and its still not wide enough to be comfortable for long trips. Im sure its saving my carpet at least.
Old 9/7/06, 03:38 PM
Bullitt Member

The flanged driver's foot rest was mounted with screws into the foam under the carpet on the side. Well this looked to be simple enough, but the foam doesn't hold very well. I decided to cut an aluminum plate the same size as the foot rest and mount that under the carpet with some drywall anchors. I used the plastic drywall anchors with the large thread and applied silicone sealant as I carefully turned them in. I let the sealant dry overnight and then mounted my aluminum plate with some flat head screws. Now I had a solid backer to mount my foot rest. I laid the carpet back in place over the aluminum backer and positioned my foot rest. I went back to my stainless steel pop rivets to mount the foot rest and now all the replacement pedals were mounted the same, and I'm happy to report the foot rest is firmly set in place.

hags1
Old 9/7/06, 04:25 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hags1
The flanged driver's foot rest was mounted with screws into the foam under the carpet on the side. Well this looked to be simple enough, but the foam doesn't hold very well. I decided to cut an aluminum plate the same size as the foot rest and mount that under the carpet with some drywall anchors. I used the plastic drywall anchors with the large thread and applied silicone sealant as I carefully turned them in. I let the sealant dry overnight and then mounted my aluminum plate with some flat head screws. Now I had a solid backer to mount my foot rest. I laid the carpet back in place over the aluminum backer and positioned my foot rest. I went back to my stainless steel pop rivets to mount the foot rest and now all the replacement pedals were mounted the same, and I'm happy to report the foot rest is firmly set in place.

hags1
**** that sounds like a lot of work
Old 9/8/06, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

OK. Tackled the pedal this afternoon. First I purchased longer screws. #8 x 1 inch. Since the DP didn't really match the GT500 pedals I wanted to back the DP with something to look black through the holes. Also, since my interior is light graphite, I wanted something else under easier to clean and/or hide dirt since, by design, I will be stepping all over it. I had a cheap $1.99 floor mat in the garage so I used it. It had ridges on the top so I flipped it over and traced out the pedal design and cut it out. Next I got some Loctite general purpose sealant. It wasn't as thick as I wanted, but I didn't have anything else. Silicone sealant would have been perfect. Anyway, I placed the pedal and backing rubber sheet and drilled pilot holes. Then I peeled back the carpet and put a blob of the adhesive where the holes were. Next I set the carpet back into place and installed the pedal/backer.

I'm hoping the screws will go into the adhesive and take some with it as it screwed in to the foam in the floor. Screws snugged up, but I didn't put a lot of torque on them. Seem solid, we'll see. Here is the finished product:

Old 9/9/06, 09:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I used a few Tee Nuts (http://www.stellafane.com/atm/atm_pa...rts_teenut.jpg )

Just thread the screws through the carpet where required and slip a tee nut around the backside on the carpet onto each screw (easy from the side near the kick panel) with the prongs facing the carpet. Makes for a very secure mounting with no muss or fuss. (Note: Autovation actually supplies tee nuts with their heel guard. Why they don't toss them in with the dead pedal too is hard to understand)

You can find tee nuts at Lowes, Home Depot, etc (get stainless if you can)
Attached Thumbnails Dead pedals - How did you attach yours?-pedal2.jpg