05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

confused about quality of stock speakers and aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/06, 09:38 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
confused about quality of stock speakers and aftermarket

I thought I had car stereo figured out. I do not.....I have been competing in SPL competitions for the past 4 years and have done very well I mught say, but now that I have the mustang, I want to be able to hear the words to the songs I have been playing. I did not get the shaker just standard 4 speaker setup. first thing I did I installed my Alpine 9855 HU, factory sounded pretty good, couple of weeks went by and I installed set of Boston Acoustic's in the fron and in the back,,, same setting and everyting on HU does not sound as good as the stock stuff did..... I am thinking I may need to put an amp on the bostons but I just can't fathom the idea of the stock speakers sounding better than 700 dollars worth of quality built aftermarket speakers. either way what is your take on this situation?

thanks
Old 11/3/06, 07:05 PM

I'd check your speaker specs. Your alpine is only pushing 18W RMS, and I know my Boston SL80 components recommend 60W RMS. Usually the higher quality speakers won't sound as good as a mid/entry level speaker if you aren't giving them the power they were designed for. You might also check your wire phasing to make sure some of your speakers aren't wired backwards from the others.
Old 11/3/06, 07:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Higher quality speakers need more amps they are designed that way. Not sure why if I guess it would be more durable better damped componets.
Old 11/4/06, 10:54 AM

The stock speakers are lightweight... cheap. They can make volume with little power to keep the whole setup cheap. Aftermarket speakers generally have heavier magnets and cones and require more input to drive them. Try adding a decent 4-channel amp and you should notice an incredible difference. Good luck.
Old 11/6/06, 06:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

What would be a good replacement speeker for the doors and rear deck? I have the shaker 500 system. I just bought a bunch of Dynamat and thought while I was in there I would replace the speakers.
Old 11/6/06, 07:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mco05gt
What would be a good replacement speaker for the doors and rear deck? I have the shaker 500 system. I just bought a bunch of Dynamat and thought while I was in there I would replace the speakers.
Your question will get you a varied answer depending on other people's preferences. It depends on what you want. I personally installed Infinity. (see my sig). Seen a lot of people have installed, MB Quart, JL Audio, Infinity, Boston Acoustic, Pioneer and Rockford Fosgate. (sorry if I missed a brand)
A good set of 6x8 for the front and rear, and some people don't replace the rears if they are installing a sub.
Old 11/6/06, 07:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for the input. I know it will get a lot of different responses and think thats what I had hoped for? I looked at your fronts and was wondering if they came with the adapter? Don't they normally have a 5x8? Also I was not going to replace the amps so should I look for any wattage size?
Thanks again
Old 11/6/06, 05:29 PM
V6 Member

The key to good loud & clear sound is a highly efficient (spl @ 1 watt of at least 92 db, higher is better) vc and magnet with a stiff cone and good tweeter. The Mustang speakers are 6x8's. Infinity's work well with low power because they are among the highest in spl at 94 db. Boston Acoustics are aound 91 db and Rockford Fosgates about 87 db. For each 3 db of volume you need to double the power, so hypothetically, the Infinity's will peak at 106 db @ 18w, while the BA's will be at 103 db and the RF's, 99 db at your peak power - assumes you can use all 18w, which you really can't. A speaker's power range doesn't tellmuch of the story, other than the more power it can take if the 1 watt spl's are the same , the louder the speaker will play.
Old 11/21/06, 06:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mc_mstng
The stock speakers are lightweight... cheap. They can make volume with little power to keep the whole setup cheap. Aftermarket speakers generally have heavier magnets and cones and require more input to drive them. Try adding a decent 4-channel amp and you should notice an incredible difference. Good luck.

What he said.

Old 11/22/06, 01:36 PM
V6 Member

I'm in the same boat as you. First everything was stock and added a Kenwood amp pushing a 12'' kicker. Then I added all 4 pioneer 6x8 4ways. Sounded ok but I thought it would sound allot better with a Alpine 9857 HU. It sounded worse then that factory stereo. Allot less crancablility. I guess I will have to add a amp for all the 6x8. Allot more of a hassle then I would of guessed. I would of just kept the stock system until it gave out. But I guess if your going to do something. Might aswell do it right the first time.
Old 11/22/06, 07:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Your question will get you a varied answer depending on other people's preferences. It depends on what you want. I personally installed Infinity. (see my sig). Seen a lot of people have installed, MB Quart, JL Audio, Infinity, Boston Acoustic, Pioneer and Rockford Fosgate. (sorry if I missed a brand)
A good set of 6x8 for the front and rear, and some people don't replace the rears if they are installing a sub.

This is what I have also.
Old 11/23/06, 10:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well here is a good one for you guys, after buying some Infinity speakers for all 4 corners yesterday I decide that it is time to put them in. Well after a few min. in the back seat iI have the rears in and want to hear the difference so I start my car and would you believe no radio. No power, no lights on the h/u no nothing. tried checking fuses and all are good. Put the stock speakers back in and still nothing. I checked and have power to the radio itself but nothing. Any ideas? Any one have a stock shaker 500 they want to sell?
Old 11/24/06, 02:42 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mco05gt
Well here is a good one for you guys, after buying some Infinity speakers for all 4 corners yesterday I decide that it is time to put them in. Well after a few min. in the back seat iI have the rears in and want to hear the difference so I start my car and would you believe no radio. No power, no lights on the h/u no nothing. tried checking fuses and all are good. Put the stock speakers back in and still nothing. I checked and have power to the radio itself but nothing. Any ideas? Any one have a stock shaker 500 they want to sell?
Sent PM
Old 12/3/06, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I think an amplifier for the highs/mids will fix your problem. Had the same issue when I put my MB Quarts in.