05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Component crossovers - where to mount them?

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/05, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A question for those who have installed component speakers in thier doors.

Where did you mount the crossovers?

Where did you mount your tweeters?

Just trying to get some info...I figured that some of you already have answeres to these questions, so why re-invent the wheel.

I would appreciate any info you can give. I will be replacing my coaxials with some Infinity components next week.
Old 12/23/05, 09:21 AM
GT Member

Mount the tweaters in the bottom of the A pillar so that the sound crosses as it hits the windwhield, this will bring the sound stage up in the vehicle and make the sound more full. As for the crossovers, if you aren't going to do something fancy with the door panels to display them then I would just throw some double sided tape on the back of them and stick them in the bottom of the door out of the way of the window.

Jason
Old 12/23/05, 10:18 AM

Thanks...

Is there enough room to flush mount the tweeters on the A pillars or do they have top be surface mounted?

Any chance that the crossovers will get wet in the bottom of the doors?
Old 12/23/05, 12:15 PM
GT Member

Yeah there is plenty of room to flush mount the tweets in the A pillar. Just use a hole saw and cut a hole at the base of the A pillar, then use a little grille cloth and cover the tweater with it, push the tweater into place from behind, the cloth will give it a clean stock appearance, then glue them into place with a little hot glue. Takes about 5 minutes to do. As for the crossovers, I've put them in the bottom of doors for as long as I've been installing stereos in my cars and have never had any issues with water. Well once with my Jeep but that's a whole other story.

Jason
Old 12/23/05, 12:45 PM

Cool...

Any tips on removing the A pillars?

I may mount the crossovers in the car, and use the factory wires for the woofer in the door, and just run a new wire from the crossover to the tweeter. This way, i won't have to snake extra wires into the doors.
Old 12/31/05, 04:04 AM
Bullitt Member

I mounted my crossovers behind the radio. I removed the radio and installed a monitor so their was a ton of room. If you can't fit them there I would mount them underneath the dash on the drivers side. If you gut the shaker amps there is plenty of room.

I mounted my tweeters in the triangles on the doors. I gutted the power mirror switch. I mounted one flush where the power mirror switch was and the passenger side surface mount. I had to make the drivers side hole bigger with a dremmel. Tomorrow I am going to cut the holes bigger on both sides and mount the tweeters inside the triangles and cover with a black cloth similar to the older mustangs.

I need to download some pics from the digital camera and I can show you what I'm talking about if your interested.

Jon