05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/11, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im trying to find in spain the cruise control harness in a Car scrapping and in internet...
Old 12/17/11, 06:11 AM

i cant find that fuc...... harness... ****
Old 12/17/11, 07:02 AM

I don't think you will... Order online in the States, or from a spanish importer.

For example Rockauto.com delivers to Spain
Old 12/17/11, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by raph
I don't think you will... Order online in the States, or from a spanish importer.

For example Rockauto.com delivers to Spain

Can you please show me wich one is it and the best place to buy it? and what about the horn? mine it doenst sound

Last edited by santi_bh88; 12/17/11 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12/18/11, 11:20 AM

no one??
Old 12/22/11, 03:18 AM

Red pony did you finally found how to get it work??
Old 12/29/11, 02:41 PM

Question I think the wiring "clock" harness connectors are different, no?

Originally Posted by redpony05
Well here is the install with pics I promised... turned out awesome.

Here is how it went down...

Note: The process is largely the same for any S197 steering wheel removal/install.

Tools needed: Flat head screwdriver, very small flat head screwdriver, 8mm socket, and 24mm or 15/16ths socket, torque wrench.

Out of the box:

Attachment 95728

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and (optionally) pull fuse #17 from the smart junction box in the passenger foot well.

2. Using a flat head screwdriver, pry off the two plastic caps (one on either side) located on the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock steering wheel spokes.

Attachment 95736

3. Once off, remove the two 8mm bolts holding the air bag into the wheel.

Attachment 95729

4. Gently pull the air bag assembly out of the center of the wheel. ALWAYS HANDLE AN AIRBAG CAREFULLY. DO NOT SHOCK OR DROP IT.

Attachment 95733

5. With the air bag out of the wheel, disconnect the two electrical connectors. Squeeze in on the side tabs of the connectors and pull them straight back and out. Set the air bag FACE UP on the floor or seat where it will not get kicked etc.

Attachment 95730

6. Using the very small flat head screwdriver, depress the little tab on top of the cruise control electrical connector.

Attachment 95731

7. Pull the connector out its socket.

Attachment 95734

8. Using the 24mm or 15/16ths socket, remove the center bolt holding the wheel to the column.

Attachment 95735

9. Feeding the wires through the opening, pull the old wheel off the steering column shaft. No wheel puller is needed. Install the new wheel by sliding over the steering column shaft. It may not seem completely seated/secure, but the bold will pull it on completely. Torque the bolt to 41 lb/ft.

Attachment 95737

10. Finished install. After the bolt is torqued, re-install the airbag, connectors, and plugs in reverse order. Enjoy the cool feel of the Alcantara wrapped Boss wheel!

Attachment 95732

I JUST PERFORMED THIS INSTALL "TO THE TEE" TODAY 12/29/11
AND YOU ARE RIGHT ON EXCEPT I FOUND THE PLUGS AND CONNECTORS TO BE DIFFERENT.
STOCK 2006 GT, w/ WHATEVER CONVENIENCE ELECTRONICS PACKAGE, HAS CRUISE CONTROL BUTTONS ON STOCK LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
as follows: ON/OFF on left SPOKE
and + / - on the right SPOKE.
2012 BOSS302 STEERING WHEEL HAS 4 cruise button on left spoke
and 4 (3 functioning) buttons for audio/radio
on the right spoke.

I'M SURE IT'S POSSIBLE TO FIGURE OUT THE GROUND AND THE "HOT" ACTIVATING 12V POWER ACUATED WIRES TO MATCHUP TO THE EXISTING WIRES/HARNESS THE COLORS ARE ALL DIFFERENT . THE HORN "L" CONNECTOR AND THE GROUND "FISH-EYE" ROUND HOLE CONNECTOR ALL HAVE DIFFERENT COLORS. ANY COLORED DIAGRAMS OUT THERE?
Old 12/29/11, 03:06 PM

I FOUND THE PLUGS AND CONNECTORS TO BE DIFFERENT.
STOCK 2006 GT, w/ WHATEVER CONVENIENCE ELECTRONICS PACKAGE, HAS CRUISE CONTROL BUTTONS ON STOCK LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
on the right spoke.

I'M SURE IT'S POSSIBLE TO FIGURE OUT THE GROUND AND THE "HOT" ACTIVATING 12V POWER ACUATED WIRES TO MATCHUP TO THE EXISTING WIRES/HARNESS THE COLORS ARE ALL DIFFERENT . THE HORN "L" CONNECTOR AND THE GROUND "FISH-EYE" ROUND HOLE CONNECTOR ALL HAVE DIFFERENT COLORS. ANY COLORED DIAGRAMS OUT THERE?
Old 12/29/11, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by mp2103
05fordgt, yeah post up a copy of the wiring diagram and specifically what needs to be spliced/soldered. I just couldn't see how the new harness could possibly work as-is.

A question for everyone, do these cars (05-09) have different steering wheel controls from the factory? Mine only has cruise control. No radio controls, so the stock wheel harness only has a single row pin connector compared to the dual row connectors the Boss wheel has. Something definitely needed to be spliced as this wasn't a simple plug-n-play install on my vehicle.
Originally Posted by redpony05
Well here is the install with pics I promised... turned out awesome.

Here is how it went down...

Note: The process is largely the same for any S197 steering wheel removal/install.

Tools needed: Flat head screwdriver, very small flat head screwdriver, 8mm socket, and 24mm or 15/16ths socket, torque wrench.

Out of the box:

Attachment 95728

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and (optionally) pull fuse #17 from the smart junction box in the passenger foot well.

2. Using a flat head screwdriver, pry off the two plastic caps (one on either side) located on the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock steering wheel spokes.

Attachment 95736

3. Once off, remove the two 8mm bolts holding the air bag into the wheel.

Attachment 95729

4. Gently pull the air bag assembly out of the center of the wheel. ALWAYS HANDLE AN AIRBAG CAREFULLY. DO NOT SHOCK OR DROP IT.

Attachment 95733

5. With the air bag out of the wheel, disconnect the two electrical connectors. Squeeze in on the side tabs of the connectors and pull them straight back and out. Set the air bag FACE UP on the floor or seat where it will not get kicked etc.

Attachment 95730

6. Using the very small flat head screwdriver, depress the little tab on top of the cruise control electrical connector.

Attachment 95731

7. Pull the connector out its socket.

Attachment 95734

8. Using the 24mm or 15/16ths socket, remove the center bolt holding the wheel to the column.

Attachment 95735

9. Feeding the wires through the opening, pull the old wheel off the steering column shaft. No wheel puller is needed. Install the new wheel by sliding over the steering column shaft. It may not seem completely seated/secure, but the bold will pull it on completely. Torque the bolt to 41 lb/ft.

Attachment 95737

10. Finished install. After the bolt is torqued, re-install the airbag, connectors, and plugs in reverse order. Enjoy the cool feel of the Alcantara wrapped Boss wheel!

Attachment 95732
[QUOTE=raph;6201365]To be honest, I don't think it exists.

I looked through here a dozen times, and it's not in here

http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...torcatalog.pdf

unless there is a more comprehensive catalog somewhere?

I took a picture of the old Plug:

2005 Steering Wheel connector:

and the new 2012 Steering Wheel connector:
I FOUND THE PLUGS AND CONNECTORS TO BE DIFFERENT.
on the right spoke.

Old 12/29/11, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by knightrider888
ANY COLORED DIAGRAMS OUT THERE?
Why are you "screaming" (writing in caps) and repeating yourself?

I already posted all the details required to get the cabling to work:

Cruise Control:
New Harness -- Old Connector
Gray -- White
Brown -- Blue
Black -- Green (Ground)
Red -- Red (Power)
------------------------------------
Steering Wheel Interface (SWI-JACK in my case):
You need to ground the Green cable in the steering wheel and connect the purple cable in the steering wheel to a pin on a WPT-440, then plug it into the bottom socket of the clockspring.
At the left side of the clockspring, there's another socket for a WPT-440. Extend a cable from the same pin that you plugged in above to the Steering Wheel Interface (White at SWI-JACK) and follow instructions for your interface (for 2012 Mustang: Cut appropriate wires, solder in a 100ohm resistor and program)
Old 12/31/11, 05:26 PM

raph,

Did this allow the horn to work too (your splice layout? I'm not concerned about having radio controls from my steering wheel.

Thanks!
Old 1/6/12, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by mp2103
raph,

Did this allow the horn to work too (your splice layout? I'm not concerned about having radio controls from my steering wheel.

Thanks!
The Horn is actually a separate connector and hence "plug and play".
Old 1/7/12, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by raph
The Horn is actually a separate connector and hence "plug and play".
Sorry raph i dont understand wich connector is it?
Old 1/22/12, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I just buy the boss wheel, is the horn going to work?
Old 1/22/12, 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Or do I have to splice something?
Old 1/22/12, 10:01 AM

Here's a picture of the inside of my Steering wheel. The Top-Connector (Red-Transparent Plastic, black cable) is the Horn (which I cut by accident). You can simply remove the red connector from your old steering wheel and connect it to the new one.
Old 1/31/12, 04:33 AM

i preffer to weld it...

Old 1/31/12, 09:10 AM

That's a good looking steering wheel, not too flashy or crazy looking. Very classy, good write up
Old 2/3/12, 06:43 AM

Im sure i missed it, but what wires need to be connected to what to get the factory radio connected once you have the correct wpt-440 harness?

I would like to get this to work on my shaker 500 deck.

other than that, THANK YOU FOR THE WRITE UP!!! i did this last night, and it went flawlessly. new wheel looks and feels amazing!
Old 2/4/12, 07:48 PM

Attempted to push the wires out of the connector (success!!)

The old connector has different sized pins at the end of the wire so they did not fit (boo)

Soldered the wires and shrink wrapped as listed above...

Horn works! Lights work! Cruise works!
Excellent mod!!

Quick Reply: Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!