05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/11, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05fordgt, yeah post up a copy of the wiring diagram and specifically what needs to be spliced/soldered. I just couldn't see how the new harness could possibly work as-is.

A question for everyone, do these cars (05-09) have different steering wheel controls from the factory? Mine only has cruise control. No radio controls, so the stock wheel harness only has a single row pin connector compared to the dual row connectors the Boss wheel has. Something definitely needed to be spliced as this wasn't a simple plug-n-play install on my vehicle.
Old 11/23/11, 06:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mp2103
05fordgt, yeah post up a copy of the wiring diagram and specifically what needs to be spliced/soldered. I just couldn't see how the new harness could possibly work as-is.

A question for everyone, do these cars (05-09) have different steering wheel controls from the factory? Mine only has cruise control. No radio controls, so the stock wheel harness only has a single row pin connector compared to the dual row connectors the Boss wheel has. Something definitely needed to be spliced as this wasn't a simple plug-n-play install on my vehicle.
Hey Mike, I definitely will. I'll probably start a new thread with some pictures either on Friday or early next week. I found the directions on what wires need to be connected to what colors for the cruise to work. I have it in my desk somewhere. It wasn't that hard at all. I bought a new harness for our year cars, so I didn't have to destroy the old wheel (I can resell it now as its perfect). But the plug is totally different even if it only has cruise. I'll find those instructions and do a install thread soon.
Old 11/25/11, 06:33 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
i remember when that wheel was 189.99 now its 314.99 :\
Old 11/26/11, 01:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Scruffy281
Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT. The Ford harness required is two Motorcraft WPT440s, plus an aftermarket unit to control the radio itself. I'm using a Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface.

I will have pics and such when I get it all in. Hopefully this weekend.

edit: Ordered mine from www.tousleyfordparts.com for about $230.
Three questions for you on this:
1) The Motorcraft WPT440 harnesses ... do those connect to the radio controls on the wheel? Any modification required?

2) Can you confirm CR3Z-3600-AA is the correct part number for the Boss wheel?

3) The Metra adapter... I look forward to seeing your pix and info.

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Mike, I definitely will. I'll probably start a new thread with some pictures either on Friday or early next week. I found the directions on what wires need to be connected to what colors for the cruise to work. I have it in my desk somewhere. It wasn't that hard at all. I bought a new harness for our year cars, so I didn't have to destroy the old wheel (I can resell it now as its perfect). But the plug is totally different even if it only has cruise. I'll find those instructions and do a install thread soon.
I am eager to see your information as well! You said you bought a new harness so you dont need to cut the harness off your stock wheel.. What is the part number for it?
Old 11/26/11, 12:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by ov3n
1) The Motorcraft WPT440 harnesses ... do those connect to the radio controls on the wheel? Any modification required?

I am eager to see your information as well! You said you bought a new harness so you dont need to cut the harness off your stock wheel.. What is the part number for it?
Hey Nick, let me get with my parts guys here at work to get the number for you. I'll try to get some pictures of the wheel on Tuesday morning if I can and then post up a thread on the install.

And I went with the GT500 wheel as I like having the combo of suede and leather vs the all suede feel on the Boss wheel. Either one is a killer choice and MUCH MUCH better than what we have in our 2005-2009 cars!!

Last edited by 05fordgt; 11/26/11 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11/26/11, 05:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great write up Redpony. You really went from one extreme to the other getting rid of the non iup plastic wheel to the Boss, nice work.
Old 11/26/11, 11:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Nick, let me get with my parts guys here at work to get the number for you. I'll try to get some pictures of the wheel on Tuesday morning if I can and then post up a thread on the install.

And I went with the GT500 wheel as I like having the combo of suede and leather vs the all suede feel on the Boss wheel. Either one is a killer choice and MUCH MUCH better than what we have in our 2005-2009 cars!!
Cool, thanks man!

The Boss wheel actually looks like it's quite a bit less expensive than the GT500 wheel.. That's weird!
Old 11/28/11, 06:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Cool, thanks man!

The Boss wheel actually looks like it's quite a bit less expensive than the GT500 wheel.. That's weird!
It is, and I believe its because the Boss wheel doesn't have the additional deduntant audio and SYNC controls. I love the Alcantara but not on the entire wheel. Feels weird after I take my hands off the wheel. The leather/alcantara combo is perfect for me.
Old 11/28/11, 09:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel10
i remember when that wheel was 189.99 now its 314.99 :\
WWW.TOUSLEYFORDPARTS.COM has the best price on it.

1) They connect to the wheel controls to the clockspring, then the spring to the headunit/adapter.

2) That is correct.

3) I will have it soon.
Old 11/29/11, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Scruffy281
1) They connect to the wheel controls to the clockspring, then the spring to the headunit/adapter.

So the Clockspring will pass through both the cruise and radio connections?
Old 12/3/11, 01:09 PM

Scruffy281 - Any news on your Radio Wiring?

I just finished the "Base Install" (Boss 302 Wheel into S197).
I also had to connect the new Harness to the old Plug:

New Harness -- Old Connector
Gray -- White
Brown -- Blue
Black -- Green (Ground)
Red -- Red (Power)

Cruise Control works fine.

The next Step is to make the Audio Controls work (with my Kenwood DNX9240bt Headunit and a PAC SWI-JACK Interface).

I got a WPT-440 Wiring Harness and it's possible to plug it into the bottom connector of the clocksping:

Nothing has been plugged into this connector before, so the question is: Where does the connection terminate?

If of course anyone did this before, that would help a lot - else I'll find out tomorrow (it's 9pm local time and pitch black outside where I am now).
Old 12/3/11, 01:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by raph
Scruffy281 - Any news on your Radio Wiring?

I just finished the "Base Install" (Boss 302 Wheel into S197).
I also had to connect the new Harness to the old Plug:

New Harness -- Old Connector
Gray -- White
Brown -- Blue
Black -- Green (Ground)
Red -- Red (Power)

Cruise Control works fine.

The next Step is to make the Audio Controls work (with my Kenwood DNX9240bt Headunit and a PAC SWI-JACK Interface).

I got a WPT-440 Wiring Harness and it's possible to plug it into the bottom connector of the clocksping:

Nothing has been plugged into this connector before, so the question is: Where does the connection terminate?

If of course anyone did this before, that would help a lot - else I'll find out tomorrow (it's 9pm local time and pitch black outside where I am now).
Great work on listing the colors for the wire connections from old plug to new harness!!!
Old 12/5/11, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Here's some helpful wiring info:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...ost__p__877908

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...st__p__1051489
Old 12/16/11, 04:33 AM

Hello, I just did it but i would like to have more info from the wiring info! please
Old 12/16/11, 04:57 AM

I managed everything I wanted. Cruise Control and Audio is working fine.

Posted a write-up in German but don't have the time to translate right now...

To sum up: To get the steering wheel to work with a PAC SWI Jack, you need to ground the Green cable in the steering wheel and connect the purple cable in the steering wheel to a pin on a WPT-440, then plug it into the bottom socket of the clockspring.
At the left side of the clockspring, there's another socket for a WPT-440. Extend a cable from the same pin that you plugged in above to the Steering Wheel Interface (White at SWI-JACK) and follow instructions for your interface (for 2012 Mustang: Cut appropriate wires, solder in a 100ohm resistor and program)

Let me know if anything is unclear.

Last edited by raph; 12/16/11 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12/16/11, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the info.

I may be receiving a boss wheel as a christmas present. It may have been ordered from Tousley ford for $231.

Jeff, did you happen to get the part number for that plug/harness? Or was that the WPT-440 that others have been mentioning?
Old 12/16/11, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the info.

I may be receiving a boss wheel as a christmas present. It may have been ordered from Tousley ford for $231.

Jeff, did you happen to get the part number for that plug/harness? Or was that the WPT-440 that others have been mentioning?
You may be looking forward.

The WPT-440 (x2) is the secondary connector on the clockspring, hence used for Audio Controls only. I have not been able to find a harness to connect the cruise control (which would obviously be much preferred over cutting the old wheel)...

Jeff?
Old 12/16/11, 03:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by raph
I have not been able to find a harness to connect the cruise control (which would obviously be much preferred over cutting the old wheel)...

Jeff?
Yeah, Jeff said he had a part number for that harness... That he'd post 'next tuesday' like two or three tuesdays ago... Come on, Jeff!
Old 12/16/11, 04:05 PM

To be honest, I don't think it exists.

I looked through here a dozen times, and it's not in here

http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...torcatalog.pdf

unless there is a more comprehensive catalog somewhere?

I took a picture of the old Plug:

2005 Steering Wheel connector:

and the new 2012 Steering Wheel connector:
Old 12/16/11, 08:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

It has to exist, he says he ordered it. LOL

The 2012 looks like WPT-834 (Tin) - 4U2Z-14S411-MA

Quick Reply: Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!