05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!

Old 10/31/11, 07:43 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!

So the steering wheel from the Boss 302 is pretty sweet... I sat in a Boss at the dealership and loved the feel of the Alcantara wrapped steering wheel, but I never thought I could get one for my 2005 GT which had the el cheapo plastic one.

I looked around for different options but was put off by how much it would cost me to swap to a leather wheel... GT500 leather wheel is over $400, and all the Grant products (which I heard aren't that great of quality?) were as much if not more. Personally I like the look of the OEM stuff too.

Then I stumbled across the Boss 302 steering wheel for sale from AmericanMuscle.com for only $189!! I did some research because I wasn't sure if '10 and up wheels would swap onto an '05-'09 and didn't really come up with any definitive answers... but I thought I'd go ahead with it and see if I cant figure it out myself.

After waiting a few weeks for it to come back in stock, it finally shipped and I got it for $189 despite reading rumors that Ford likes to jack up the prices on these kind of things as they become more popular and also as the vehicle it's originally for gets older (maybe why the '07 GT500 wheel is so much more expensive?)

I'm happy to say it installed without a hitch on my '05, and d*&% is it nice! The Alcantara suede feels much cooler and softer than even the nicest leather wheels I've had my hands on. Not to mention how sweet it looks!

There is no SYNC button on the wheel, but since my car doesn't have SYNC that's a non-issue. For those with '10 and up cars, I read that you can swap a button for SYNC on there... not sure though. The audio controls on the wheel don't work for the moment (again, an '05 thing), but I'm going to see about trying to hook them up. Cruise control DOES work, and that's all I really cared about.

I'm in the process of writing an installation guide for this so I'll post back here with pictures and a write-up later this week. Possibly even a guide for hooking up the audio controls later, if that works out.
Old 10/31/11, 08:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sweet! How hard was it to transfer the airbag?
Old 10/31/11, 09:54 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pics???
Old 10/31/11, 10:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yes pics please. I have been trying to pic up a GT500 wheel but funds have been tight, but would love to get it in alcantara, been thinking of getting mine redone with red stitching if i cant find a replacement.
Old 11/5/11, 12:52 AM
V6 Member

Boss 302 Steering Wheel Install

Well here is the install with pics I promised... turned out awesome.

Here is how it went down...

Note: The process is largely the same for any S197 steering wheel removal/install.

Tools needed: Flat head screwdriver, very small flat head screwdriver, 8mm socket, and 24mm or 15/16ths socket, torque wrench.

Out of the box:

Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!-1outofbox.jpg

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and (optionally) pull fuse #17 from the smart junction box in the passenger foot well.

2. Using a flat head screwdriver, pry off the two plastic caps (one on either side) located on the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock steering wheel spokes.

Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!-2plug.jpg

3. Once off, remove the two 8mm bolts holding the air bag into the wheel.

Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!-3noplug.jpg

4. Gently pull the air bag assembly out of the center of the wheel. ALWAYS HANDLE AN AIRBAG CAREFULLY. DO NOT SHOCK OR DROP IT.

Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!-4bag.jpg

5. With the air bag out of the wheel, disconnect the two electrical connectors. Squeeze in on the side tabs of the connectors and pull them straight back and out. Set the air bag FACE UP on the floor or seat where it will not get kicked etc.

Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!-5bagwires.jpg

6. Using the very small flat head screwdriver, depress the little tab on top of the cruise control electrical connector.

Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!-6harness.jpg

7. Pull the connector out its socket.

Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!-7harnessr.jpg

8. Using the 24mm or 15/16ths socket, remove the center bolt holding the wheel to the column.

Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!-8bolt.jpg

9. Feeding the wires through the opening, pull the old wheel off the steering column shaft. No wheel puller is needed. Install the new wheel by sliding over the steering column shaft. It may not seem completely seated/secure, but the bold will pull it on completely. Torque the bolt to 41 lb/ft.

Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!-8newheel.jpg

10. Finished install. After the bolt is torqued, re-install the airbag, connectors, and plugs in reverse order. Enjoy the cool feel of the Alcantara wrapped Boss wheel!

Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!-9finished.jpg
Old 11/5/11, 04:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks nice....

I want the Grant wheel...:

Old 11/5/11, 07:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

That looks great, Andrew, thanks for the writeup and pics!
Old 11/7/11, 03:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I have mine sitting next to my computer. I'm waiting on two harnesses so I can use the wheel controls with my Pioneer deck.

My GT500 is too thin and not padded enough for my taste. Hopefully the Boss wheel is better.
Old 11/7/11, 07:22 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Scruffy281
I have mine sitting next to my computer. I'm waiting on two harnesses so I can use the wheel controls with my Pioneer deck.

My GT500 is too thin and not padded enough for my taste. Hopefully the Boss wheel is better.

I think you'll like the Boss wheel then. It seems pretty soft and padded to me. Or at least the Alcantara gives the illusion of being padded haha.
Old 11/7/11, 08:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Scruffy281
What Pioneer deck? Which harnesses? I've got a F90BT in my 2009, if I can get it the wheel to control it, may just be worth the $300 (all the places I checked said $300, American Muscle shows $189 but out of stock).
Old 11/8/11, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
What Pioneer deck? Which harnesses? I've got a F90BT in my 2009, if I can get it the wheel to control it, may just be worth the $300 (all the places I checked said $300, American Muscle shows $189 but out of stock).
Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT. The Ford harness required is two Motorcraft WPT440s, plus an aftermarket unit to control the radio itself. I'm using a Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface.

I will have pics and such when I get it all in. Hopefully this weekend.

edit: Ordered mine from www.tousleyfordparts.com for about $230.

Last edited by Scruffy281; 11/8/11 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11/11/11, 08:57 AM

My question is if the airbag will work as good as with the original 05-09 steering wheel

Do you have to do any electronic work in the car for the airbag to works fine?

Last edited by thebomber; 11/11/11 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11/11/11, 10:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by thebomber
My question is if the airbag will work as good as with the original 05-09 steering wheel

Do you have to do any electronic work in the car for the airbag to works fine?
The airbag will work exactly the same as in the 05-09. The opening, mounting tabs, and bolts are identical and interchangeable. The connectors that plug into the back of the airbag are identical as well. It is a direct "plug-n-play" affair for the airbag.
Old 11/11/11, 01:47 PM

Good job, and great write up. Wheel looks awesome on there.
Old 11/11/11, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

That is so droolworthy. I would love that wheel with red stitching. I really could care less for all the buttons other than cruise cause that is all my '05 has. Great write up, awesome look. Job well done!
Old 11/13/11, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I thought I would never find one better than the GT500 in my car now but man, that is a sweet wheel, Might be upgrading, I just need cruise function as well, did you have to change any pinouts in the harness?
Old 11/13/11, 01:05 PM

FYI, I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but the Boss steering wheel swap did not work in my '08 GT. Completely different wiring harnesses. I purchased mine through Tousley for ~$236. I even took the time to try and swap my existing harness over to the Boss wheel figuring at least the cruise control would connect, but the connections simply don't allow it. Installing the wheel without connecting the main harness allowed the use of the airbag, but no cruise control or horn. That's a big no-no for me. So my brand new Boss steering wheel will be going on Craig's list soon. Just trying to avoid anyone else making the $$ mistake I did. Great install write-up though I used it and it helped tremendously.

Thanks
Old 11/20/11, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Why not just get hold of the wiring diagram and re-route them?
Old 11/21/11, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mp2103
FYI, I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but the Boss steering wheel swap did not work in my '08 GT. Completely different wiring harnesses. I purchased mine through Tousley for ~$236. I even took the time to try and swap my existing harness over to the Boss wheel figuring at least the cruise control would connect, but the connections simply don't allow it. Installing the wheel without connecting the main harness allowed the use of the airbag, but no cruise control or horn. That's a big no-no for me. So my brand new Boss steering wheel will be going on Craig's list soon. Just trying to avoid anyone else making the $$ mistake I did. Great install write-up though I used it and it helped tremendously.

Thanks
You need to cut the harness in the Boss wheel and solder in your original wheel harness.
Old 11/22/11, 05:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did this mod on my 2006 GT but I installed a 2011 GT500 suede and leather wheel. Its the best appearance mod I did yet!!! It can be done, but you must use the plug from the current wheel, and solder that onto the harness of the new wheel after removing the plug. 4 wires is all it takes and cruise control WILL work!! I'll see if I have a copy of what wires go to where for easier swap.

Last edited by 05fordgt; 11/22/11 at 05:07 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boss 302 Steering Wheel Into '05 GT!