05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

6.5" Components in front doors?

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/06, 10:04 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.5" Components in front doors?

This may be an incredibly stupid question, so feel free to tell me that.

I have a set of Alpine Type-S's (SPS-171A) which are 6.5" components. What options do I have for installing these in the front doors (currently a Shaker 500 w/ an Alpine HU)?

I know there are adapters to fit 5.25" components into the 6x8" space. I'm assuming that the 6.5" won't fit? I suppose I could just mount the tweeter in the 6x8" opening, and the 6.5" where the 8" woofer is, but I think that would probably sound even worse.

Thoughts?

joe
Old 9/27/06, 06:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by JoeInAZ
This may be an incredibly stupid question, so feel free to tell me that.

I have a set of Alpine Type-S's (SPS-171A) which are 6.5" components. What options do I have for installing these in the front doors (currently a Shaker 500 w/ an Alpine HU)?

I know there are adapters to fit 5.25" components into the 6x8" space. I'm assuming that the 6.5" won't fit? I suppose I could just mount the tweeter in the 6x8" opening, and the 6.5" where the 8" woofer is, but I think that would probably sound even worse.

Thoughts?

joe
I have 5,25" components inmine and I don't see too much oom left, so I doubt without some major modifications that they would fit.
Old 9/27/06, 07:27 AM
Cobra Member

You could put the 6.5 in the door, and then put the tweet in the A-Pillar.
Old 9/27/06, 08:45 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Infinity
You could put the 6.5 in the door, and then put the tweet in the A-Pillar.
I thought about that. Do any manufacturers make moulded tweeter housing's for tha A-pillar? If I have to fab-it, it's not going to happen.

If I can't re-use these speakers, then I'll look at purchasing the Boston Acoustics SL-80's which I've seen recommended on here. I've had some Boston Acoustic speakers in a Ford Explorer and I loved them.

joe
Old 9/27/06, 09:21 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

I'm a total newbie at this, but a friend recommended these to me. What do i need to know about the door speakers to know if these will fit?

Focal 165 K2P
http://www.focal-fr.com/car/en/k2power/index.htm
http://www.focal-fr.com/car/download...e%20165K2P.pdf

Help a sister out yo
Old 9/27/06, 07:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JoeInAZ
I thought about that. Do any manufacturers make moulded tweeter housing's for tha A-pillar? If I have to fab-it, it's not going to happen.

If I can't re-use these speakers, then I'll look at purchasing the Boston Acoustics SL-80's which I've seen recommended on here. I've had some Boston Acoustic speakers in a Ford Explorer and I loved them.

joe
You don't need any "housings".

Kristina,
you'll simply need some CAREFULLY made adapter plates if you plan on putting the whole component set in the 6x8 space. Otherwise, you could get the pre-made Metra plates, and put the tweet in the A-pillar like I've done.

My mid stage is a temporary DEI Neo 6x8, and those are the matching tweets. The mids will be swapped for a pair of Dayton RS52 domes on each side, along with my Kicker RMB 8's going in the doors (only modification needed is new mounting holes). The RMB's will get 225 rms each, while the mids/tweets will see 150 rms each. The prmanent subs are yet to be determined as I just haven't messed with the trunk much. I may leave the Exact 12 there.
Old 9/27/06, 09:22 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Infinity
You don't need any "housings".

Kristina,
you'll simply need some CAREFULLY made adapter plates if you plan on putting the whole component set in the 6x8 space. Otherwise, you could get the pre-made Metra plates, and put the tweet in the A-pillar like I've done.
So you just cut a hole in the a-pillar and mounted them there. I guess that works. What kind of imaging do you have? Are you bouncing them off of the windshield? I'm not an audiophile, nor have I installed many systems, so please forgive these questions.

joe
Old 9/28/06, 07:05 AM
Cobra Member

Yes, I'm using the windshield to disperse the tweeters. It works very well. The cups allow for the angle to be changed a bit, so I played with them and got the sound I wanted.