05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

2005-2009 Mustang Raxiom OE-Style GPS Navigation w/ Back-Up Camera!

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/15, 12:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah this unit is the best option for those looking to do something like this. But even with my Infinity speakers and PIE-AUX adapter for my iPod, I still leave my radio off half the time.
Old 4/11/15, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a VERY high interest in this unit as well.....especially those 2 words and a letter....Plug N' Play!

Anxious for some replies and questions answered....like the USB question and the map update question.

Darn....just when I thought I was done spending money on the Mustang! LOL

Last edited by Sabre; 4/11/15 at 01:15 PM.
Old 4/11/15, 01:36 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Sabre...I am with you, but we have been forgotten by AM. Based on the interest here...there could be many units sold if AM were to answer questions. Of course, I could always pick up the phone and call, but they ARE part of our forums last time I checked.
Old 4/11/15, 03:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Guess I get to be the test mule for all of us!

Boomer, how much did that GT500 steering wheel set you back, and what was involved in replacing it? I want steering wheel audio controls, so this might be the ticket to adding them to the Pony at the same time as I do the Raxiom. Advice?
Old 4/11/15, 11:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Just PM'd AMAlex regarding this. Dan needs to step it up to Alex's level.
Old 4/11/15, 11:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I had pmed Dan some days ago but heard nothing yet. I'm sure he'll be back soon, though.
Old 4/13/15, 09:31 AM
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jim010
Can an existing camera be used with this?
Is there USB on this? Didn't see it in the description.

And by retaining steering wheel controls - S197 didn't have any for the radio. Does this mean it can be added? For example, if I were to put in a steering wheel from a 10-14 Mustang that had the Sync, phone, tuning and volume controls on the wheel?

Can the startup screen be changed?

Any 'in motion' options?
Missed that. I was thinking it would be in the front. thanks.
Still wondering about the other questions though.
Hey Everyone! Sorry about the delay here! Dan's a busy!

Jim - Gigantor- JWGroovin -

Sounds like you had your question answered regarding the USB - As per adding an existing camera anything is possible but an Audio/Stereo shop would need to splice into there in order to have this set up. From what I can see you could use an modified S Video Cable but having someone hack up the harnesses could potentially cause a warranty issue!

In regards to the wheel options and functionality I'm sorry to be bringing unpleasant news here but they were sync related functions on 10+ cars and between generations they had different harnesses used - I'm sure if money's no object they and something with a great wiring diagram could splice away to make this work but I don't want to send anyone on a wild goose chase! Raxiom had the unit created for 05-09's with Mach 500 and 1000 systems. The start-up screen cannot be changed on this as well and there are no "in motion" options (I.E You're driving faster and the volume increases for everyone else)

MadGT - jwgroovin -

Regarding the updates you would be pulling them direct from "NaviExtras" but the pricing can vary from map, country, red light/speed cameras etc.
antenna mounted outside

Jim - Let me know if you have any other questions and my apologies for the delay!

Alex

Originally Posted by MadGT
Yup, I have a convertible so the GPS antennae will be an interesting item to install.
Hey MadGT - You would need to get this pretty close up towards the top of your windshield on the inside (Think where you might have an offset EZ Pass or a parking permit sticker etc

Originally Posted by houtex
Just PM'd AMAlex regarding this. Dan needs to step it up to Alex's level.
Thanks houtex!

I had pmed Dan some days ago but heard nothing yet. I'm sure he'll be back soon, though.
Jim - Sorry about the delay on Dan's end - He's heading up the social side of things here, If you're to ever have any questions don't hesitate to shoot me PM or if you're to have need an answer immediately on something shoot us a call!

Alex

If anyone has any other questions at all please let me know!

Alex
Old 4/13/15, 10:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes...I have a couple of questions that relate to some that you've kind of already given answer to.....specifically:

USB...I see the cord located on the back of the unit. Is it intended to be used for things like an connecting an MP3 player or a solid state hard drive filled with music? Is it long enough to reach out and to the front somewhere...or possibly into the glove box area?

Map updates. How is this actually achieved? Through laptop plugged into the USB or some other way?

What is the recommendation for the GPS/Satellite puck? Outside, inside...how long is the cable for this....would it reach to the rear package tray below the rear glass? Right now I have a small portable Sirius XM radio that I use....I placed the puck in the channel of the support beam that runs beneath the center of the package tray...it works perfectly there, with no need to run wire outside the car.

Thank you for any/all of these questions that you can answer. Very interested in this, but my purchase depends on some of these answers.
Old 4/13/15, 12:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks, Alex! Sorry if I came off as a jerk. I'm sure Dan's a fine, and busy, fellow.

I have a question regarding the specifications and wiring pinouts. As in... where are they? Where is the manual, in case one were to, oh, I dunno... lose it? Or was curious and wanted to research things (this is me... in both cases.)

Thanks, man!
Old 4/14/15, 02:20 AM
Legacy Tms Member

OK, who's going to be the first one to do a step-by-step install and teach the rest of us?
Old 4/19/15, 12:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It will be me! I'll report back as soon as my Raxiom gets here. I can't wait! Hopefully this will be worth it.
Old 4/19/15, 02:57 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Alright, Alright, Alright.... And since you have a vert...I am even MORE interested...

Last edited by MadGT; 4/19/15 at 02:59 PM.
Old 4/20/15, 10:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
The start-up screen cannot be changed on this as well and there are no "in motion" options (I.E You're driving faster and the volume increases for everyone else)
It is not a deal breaker, but certainly a let down that we can't have a Ford or Mustang symbol on start up instead.

As for in motion, I meant unlocking it so my passenger can enter inputs into nav.
Old 4/20/15, 08:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by MadGT
Alright, Alright, Alright.... And since you have a vert...I am even MORE interested...

Well, hopefully being an early adopter won't bite me in the rear THIS time! The last time I got a NAV unit (OEM one in 2007 from KC @ Clevenger Ford) it didn't work out with my Shaker 1000 and I spent a year trying to get it to work. Gave up and returned to my stock head unit. I hate that thing. Very 1980's.

So here goes nothing! Box should be here Wed or Thurs. Maybe this weekend I can install? Fingers crossed!
Old 4/21/15, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I took the plunge and ordered it this morning! In stock and will ship today!
Old 4/21/15, 10:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Sabre
I took the plunge and ordered it this morning! In stock and will ship today!

Awesome! So we can compare installation notes!

I wonder what would be a good place to mount the GPS antenna? I am curious to see how that magnet mount works (I don't like magnet mounts, reminds me of my 1980's CB antenna).

Guess we will find out soon!
Old 4/22/15, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Awesome! So we can compare installation notes!

I wonder what would be a good place to mount the GPS antenna? I am curious to see how that magnet mount works (I don't like magnet mounts, reminds me of my 1980's CB antenna).

Guess we will find out soon!
From what I can see in the photos on AM, the GPS/sat radio antenna ( which I like to call the "puck" ) is very similar to the one I use now for a portable Sirius XM radio. The rep from AM told me that it's cord was plenty long enough to go to the trunk for mounting on the trunk lid. The "puck" for my radio worked well in that spot...on the trunk lid, at the front edge where the lid meets the bottom of the back window. I glued a piece of felt onto the bottom of the "puck" so that it would not scratch the paint of the trunk lid. However....on another post here in the forum some time ago, I read that you could put the "puck" in the u shaped channel of a support bar that runs under the middle of the package tray ( directly under the rear glass inside the car ) and that it would work just fine there and be completely out of sight. I relocated the "puck" from the trunk lid to the channel in the support bar....and low and behold... it worked perfectly there! So....I'm hoping that the "puck" that come with this Raxiom unit will work hidden away in the channel, inside under the rear glass, as well. If it doesn't I can always put it on the trunk lid...which while not quite as nice as being hidden away...I can live with.
Old 4/23/15, 07:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I don't want it on my trunk lid. And I don't have a package tray. Looks like I'm going to have a problem.

Last edited by mrkabc; 4/24/15 at 11:21 PM.
Old 4/23/15, 10:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I am thinking mine would go maybe somewhere on the cowl covers, or just above them on the windshield, out of the way of the wipers.

Unless it had to be flat to work. In which case... hm.

But it would NEVER go on the trunk. I'll buy a different antenna that'll do what I want than use that.
Old 4/24/15, 07:30 AM

I installed a NAV system a few years ago in my 2006 GT and installed the antenna to the bottom of the dash pad above the glove box using the double faced tape on the bottom of the antenna. I don't remember if I took the glove box out to do it. Has always worked well for me.

Last edited by mauleta; 4/24/15 at 07:39 AM.

Quick Reply: 2005-2009 Mustang Raxiom OE-Style GPS Navigation w/ Back-Up Camera!