05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Trailer Hitch time/ relocating/ multi purpose stang

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/13, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trailer Hitch time/ relocating/ multi purpose stang

so i had a 2 fold trip 1,500 miles each way to make from southern mo to traverse mi with a stop in detroit for my daughters wedding. planning my relocation i had to move a fishing boat to n. mi. on the trip and my stang is my only reliable vehicle so i ordered a hidden hitch.

the only real pain with the install was removing the muffler, installing the hitch, removing the muffler again to grind the hitch plate where the muffler was rattling on it on the pass side. its not as hidden on the v6 bumper as it wold be on the gt but not too bad. i was gonna remove it but i might just leave it on for a while. the car towed great even at 85 mph at times, couldnt even tell the boat was back there. i didnt get the light kit. it was $65 so i just wired the tail lights to the boat battery for night driving and got away with it.

so after i used the stang for a tow truck, i then used the stang as a u haul trailer and loaded it full of stuff, the 47"tv fit in the trunk with the seats down, put it on a trailer and towed it back to northern mich. then i made a trip back down on a bus(s), which btw really sucked bad, and drove the old truck towing a old project boat i have back up again. i`m staying with my sister, looking for work and a place to live if anyone is up here in traverse with any help.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Hitch time/ relocating/ multi purpose stang-dscf3287.jpg   Trailer Hitch time/ relocating/ multi purpose stang-2013-07-31-19.35.25.jpg   Trailer Hitch time/ relocating/ multi purpose stang-2013-07-31-18.06.42.jpg  
Old 8/18/13, 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Yeah, I figure a Mustang would tow a small trailer well. I've looked at maybe someday adding a hitch to ours to pull a small teardrop camper.

Not picking on you by any means, but just an observation .... you were very "lucky" .... no brake lights on the trailer, lights wired to battery ..... the ticket(s) alone .... if caught are well north of $100 time you add court costs and fines ..... and I've seen a few trailers towed off the interstate by a wrecker (not for free) in the wee hours because people took deliberate steps to skirt the law (and it could be argued, "safety") for a few $$$ and then when stopped, had not the means to make the lights right / safer (lots of reflectorized tape sometimes helped them in their pleas to be allowed to take it off at the next exit and sleep till daybreak without a tow truck with the deal being if caught past that, tow truck would be used).

Glad them antlers didn't poke holes ....
Old 8/18/13, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

ya, i thought about the light kit, but then wasnt sure about the seq taillights, and i didnt plan it soon enough to have time to do it right. it had side lights and taillights and people could see the brake lights on the car still, as the boat is pretty small. if i leave it on, and use it for the little fishing boat next year, i`ll get the kit and have trailer lights. this was just a temp way to get the boat where i needed to go. the cars tow great, you could tow something alot larger then my little boat with no probs, but the 1 1/4" receiver has a tongue weight of i think 1500 lbs. that i probably exceeded as i had it filled to the brim under that cover with fishing gear. the frames on the mustangs are not really steel like old days, more like sheet metal so that would be a draw back to going with a 2" receiver.

Last edited by amustangrocks; 8/18/13 at 06:40 PM.
Old 8/18/13, 06:53 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Man a trailer hitch on a Mustang just ain't right!!!

Hope you find a job. Good Luck
Old 8/18/13, 11:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Well, a Class I hitch is rated 200 lbs tongue weight / 2000 lbs trailer weight, doubt many would want to tow any more with a short WB car like a Mustang. Small utility / cargo / 4 wheeler / snowmobile / skidoo / or a teardrop camper (4 ft x 8 ft floor typically, many home made, intended to sleep in and live outside of while camping ....) would be fine behind a Mustang .... V8 OR V6.

If an auto, a transmission cooler would be good and maybe a set of "Air Lift" bags in the rear coils if regularly towing much though with short rear overhang and stiff suspension, I doubt ALs would be needed.

I have a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis with a Class II, it tows nicely and it has a 8.8 rear and 4.6 with 2.76 axle, I just limit OD to steady cruise or down slopes if gentle, drop to 3rd for grades.

I think the Mustang would be better suited to light towing than either of my Thunderbirds with their independent rear suspension and wheel bearing setups. For sure their solid rear axle can handle it and they have great brakes, and the short rear overhang is a plus as well ..... just keep in mind short wheelbase and avoid fast directional changes.
Old 8/19/13, 06:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dly
Man a trailer hitch on a Mustang just ain't right!!!

Hope you find a job. Good Luck
ya, i know its not right. i got some funny looks, but people still said "nice car" when i made any stops. desperate times, desperate measures. thank you for the job hope. been seeing lots of jobs around the area, plenty of those, not sure about any quality jobs though. alot more here than where i was. branson was a bummer area to try to earn a living. i gave it 10 years but it was a bad mistake going there.