05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Tail Light Mod

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/05, 06:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@March 9, 2005, 8:00 PM
Just got the parts, to avoid me having to run to the auto store w/ my taillamps in the trunk... do I need different bulbs or will the regular ones in the taillamps work? I'm guessing I need to get new bulbs? I'm confused because I thought I read that this plug was for single filament bulbs, while 2 are required - 1 for taillamps, 1 for brakes? TIA
Your stock bulbs will work - no need to buy new ones. Ford already puts dual-filament bulbs in there, but only uses one of the filaments. Be sure and post back once you're done!
Old 3/9/05, 06:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im gonna try this as well. jsut got the parts from pepboys online
Old 3/9/05, 08:16 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gotcha MTAS, I just re-read HOTLAP's original post. He said they use dual fil bulbs in a sing fil socket, I had it backwards. That doesn't make sence either though... if they're single filament sockets... how does the single filament socket work the dual filament bulb?
Oh well, I guess it's one of life's mysteries. I assume the major/minor are brake/tail lamp functions, maybe the socket's actually dual filament Anyway, enough of this, sorry to bore you. Just glad it'll work. Soon as I get my car I'll git-r-done and post some pics.
Old 3/12/05, 03:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

i just did the mod myself. took all of 30 minutes. came out great. i really like how this looks and would think everyone would want to do it. not sure why that isnt done at the factory from ford...
Old 5/28/05, 09:21 AM

Did adding more load to the turn signal flasher affect it at all?
Old 5/29/05, 09:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Actually, you don't even need to get a new socket, you just have to add a wire to the original socket. On the back of the stock socket, there is a little gasket where the two wires run into it, pop that off, and look inside. You'll see a hole down in there next to the other two wires where a third wire can go into. If you punch a third hole in the gasket, and run a wire with a long, terminal blade connector, just slide it in there, then attatch that wire to one of the other two bulb's brake/turn signal wire, and viola, no new connector needed, just a wire with a long thin terminal blade, and some electric tape.

I'm thinking radio shack would have a connector for it.
Old 5/30/05, 05:50 PM

I took the tail light assembly apart, saw the empty slot for the wire in the inner socket, attached a wire to a spade terminal and plugged it into the socket, attached that wire to the MAJOR wire on the socket next to it...and nothing. I have continuity from the new wire to the oexisting middle socket wire. The stop/turn signal sockets have a black ground, brown w/red sripe on the minor and red w/white stripe on the major. Those are the two outer sockets. The inner socket has a black ground and a blue w/green stripe on the minor. Then I added the wire from the MAJOR of the middle socket to the major of the inner socket. Stop light or turn signal on the inner would not work with other two outer sockets. :scratch:

Will go get a new spade terminal tomorrow and try again...intermittent readings through socket/spade terminal.
Old 5/31/05, 12:15 PM

Went to Pep Boys and purchased the 85885 sockets and they worked great. The male terminal I was using was too short as seen in the attached picture. It must have made contact because I got a reading at first but then it lost contact. The existing socket will work if your male terminals are LONG as Hatchman said. In the picture the bottom terminal is the one I took out of the old socket so you can see how long it has to be.
Old 9/20/05, 04:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by shave35@January 30, 2005, 9:58 AM
Thanks for the tip! I just went to ford and bought 2 ford sockets. Following your wire hook up method, did a bit of sodering for the connection and from the Major wire to the new socket and was done in under 45 minutes. Total cost in Canadian dollars was $25.00 for both sockets and then just used some wire I had sitting around. Thanks, as it really does make a difference when stopping. Really lites up alot briter now
Do you have a part number for the ford socket? I just called ford and they told me the way those sockets are available is for all three as a unit and it's 58 us$. I've looked around locally and can't find the 85885 sockets either so I'll have to get those over the internet if the ford route doesn't work out. It appears, based on the last couple posts in this thread, that the stock sockets can be made to work if you can get a spade connector long enough???