05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Stock hood scoop replacement needed..

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/08, 04:16 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock hood scoop replacement needed..

The stock hood scoop has never properly fit.....I want to replace the stock scoop with an after market variety, but am concerned about the many existing holes....any suggestions as to what might work??
Old 8/20/08, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

There are lots of aftermarket scoops that are large enough to cover the factory holes in the hood...there are no aftermarket scoops that will utilize the factory holes unfortunately. Its a matter of preference as to which design you really like. The only problem I see with a lot of these scoops is that they are secured entirely by 2 sided tape. The stuff holds really well but personally I like a little insurance that the scoop won't come off at 70mph.
That being said I had the SLP "429 BOSS" hood scoop on my car before my conversion and was pleased with it. It had two "hard" mounts at the front requiring two new holes to be drilled in my hood to secure it along with the 3M tape. See attached photos.
The other one I like a lot is the Roush scoop.
Attached Thumbnails Stock hood scoop replacement needed..-8-23-07-001copyaa.jpg   Stock hood scoop replacement needed..-8-23-07-002copy.jpg  
Old 8/22/08, 01:51 PM
GT Member

GTMark...thanks...I agree on the Roush scoop, but they tell me it won't fit w/out exposing the already drilled holes...The SLP Boss 429 looks BIG.....does it cover the windshielsd washers??
Old 8/22/08, 03:41 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Blitz
GTMark...thanks...I agree on the Roush scoop, but they tell me it won't fit w/out exposing the already drilled holes...The SLP Boss 429 looks BIG.....does it cover the windshielsd washers??
I don't see how this is possible, the Roush scoop is larger than the stock one. It sits back farther on the hood (about 1.5 inches from the edge) and it's wider as well..
Old 8/22/08, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

The only reason that I can think of that the Roush scoop wouldn't cover the factory holes is that maybe is sits further forward on the hood I thought it would cover those with no problem....did you ask someone from Roush??

As for the SLP scoop, no it does not cover the washer nozzles. Heres another pic so you get a better idea of it's placement. I had removed the washer nozzles and put them on the new hood I had gotten for the car. But as you can see, they weren't covered at all.
Attached Thumbnails Stock hood scoop replacement needed..-6-17-2008-009.jpg  
Old 8/24/08, 12:13 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
check with Roush, his should work, and those look the best, theyre not too small, and not too big
Old 8/24/08, 01:37 PM
GT Member

Yes, talked with Roush....they said that someone early on purchased the scoop, and it didn't cover the holes.....sooo, trying to find someone who had a factory scoop and installed a Roush. Maybe it was someone who didn't follow the Roush template, don't know..??
Old 8/26/08, 03:49 PM

I seem to recall in the Roush installation instructions they explicitly stated that their scoop won't cover the stock holes.
Old 8/26/08, 04:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
what are you going o do with the old one?? I would be interested in it if the price is right
Old 8/26/08, 04:30 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
The stock hood scoop has never properly fit.....I want to replace the stock scoop with an after market variety, but am concerned about the many existing holes....any suggestions as to what might work??
How About Removing the Stock Scoop and Putting Double Stick around the Perimeter and Reinstalling. Or get Some Welting and Make a Gasket. With the Complex Curvature of the Hood a Truly Perfect Fit Is Hard to Achieve less Some Sort of Gasket.

Kc
Old 8/26/08, 05:50 PM
GT Member

Just for information purposes, I have a brand new Roush Scoop with mounting hardware and template I would be willing to trade toward your stock scoop, I never installed it but I did start the painting process, primer, matte black paint.
Old 8/27/08, 08:49 PM
GT Member

I have a cervini BOSS 9 hood and scoop, but you can get the scoop separate if you want. Should cover the holes no problem if that's the route you choose to take. Here's a few pics:

Old 8/28/08, 10:33 AM
GT Member

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions......Ford has agreed to take care of the mis-fit. I have avoided a long and detailed explanation on the scoop not fitting until now. Initially took the problem to the Pasadena Ford dealer, they (an outside body shop)installed 2 replacement scoops. Paint jobs were fine, but in both cases there was a large bulge on the side, right front, of the scoop. To complicate things the dealer is (has now) closed. Luckily my excellent service advisor Ron has been hired at another dealer (Wondries, Alhambra) so things will transfer to there. One solution was the Roush scoop, but I have clarrified it wont fit w/out holes showing due to the recessed front grill piece. I had difficulty dealing with the Ford Customer Care Solutions Team-got off on the wrong foot-but have now escalated the issue higher up the chain at Ford and so far things seem to be going in the right direction. Wondries Ford does a lot of custom work and has an in-house body shop that seems to be on top of things. A third scoop has been ordered, and will be thoroughly "tested"before being painted. Hopefully it will fit properly.
Old 8/29/08, 05:25 PM
GT Member

Good luck Blitz! Hope it turns out ok for you.
Old 8/31/08, 09:39 PM
GT Member

Well, I have now scraped up my right fender and bumber on a brick column....stupid, but true. Was watching the left and screwed up on the right.....$1400.00 plus plus damage and here I'm complaining bout the hood scoop......

Soooo.......As I refuse to spend the bucks to replace an entire fender and paint the bumper, My Stang, as beautiful as it was a week ago with its many mods, has been downgraded to a "beeter". The good news is no longer do I need to anxt, hand wash it, or give a *h*t about what in reality is a daily driver....next time I will be smart, buy some SUV or 4 door Honda as a daily, albeit boring car, and have my "hobby" car as something truly collectible.

Bye bye Stang....at least as a car dear and near!