05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Spoilerless Truck Lid

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/14, 02:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoilerless Truck Lid

Hey guys, I desperately want a spoilerless trunk. There's a couple ways to do this from what I've seen

1) buy little plugs for the holes. It's a cheap fix but also a cheap look. My cars black so it would blend in ok, but not good.

2) swap decklids with someone. How does this work with the key hole? Is there an easy way to switch the locking/opening mechanism? Don't want my car to die and need to get in the trunk for some reason

3) have the holes filled on my current one and have it repainted. Definitely the best option, but the most expensive as well.

Let me know what you guys know.

The car is an 05-09 by the way. I posted it in the general section because I figured others can gain from it, and I want it to have the maximum attention possible.
Old 6/16/14, 12:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Bump
Old 6/16/14, 01:36 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep the spoiler
Old 6/16/14, 01:46 PM
V6 Member

I had stripes painted on my 06 and had the holes filled and painted at the same time. It looked great without the spoiler.
Old 6/16/14, 02:34 PM

I was just thinking about this too. I'll keep looking for an answer. Kinda wish I knew more about mustangs before jumping into one. I love the car and am enjoying learning about it!

Cheers,

G
Old 6/17/14, 09:23 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen very few spoiler delete Mustangs. After a web search it seems that the '07 GT had a factory spoiler delete option. You might check with Ford or search on-line. I think the nipple plugs would deteriorate depending on climate, and probably wouldn't hold paint. Good Luck.

Last edited by rocket7888; 6/17/14 at 09:32 AM.
Old 6/22/14, 01:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Bump
Old 6/22/14, 06:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
You probably should stop bumping. You've got your answers: Fill the holes and paint, find a trunk that didn't have holes and/or paint, or keep/swap the spoiler, and/or paint the swapped spoiler, or just plug the holes with something... and/or paint.

There are no other methods. Bumping isn't doing anything, and you might incur the wrath of the Mod Bear, resulting in a locked thread.
Old 6/22/14, 07:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
You probably should stop bumping. You've got your answers: Fill the holes and paint, find a trunk that didn't have holes and/or paint, or keep/swap the spoiler, and/or paint the swapped spoiler, or just plug the holes with something... and/or paint.

There are no other methods. Bumping isn't doing anything, and you might incur the wrath of the Mod Bear, resulting in a locked thread.
I know what the options are. My question is about swapping the lids and what's involved in switching the locking mechanisms if it can be done. I don't really like any of the other options that I originally listed in the first post.

I haven't found any of the information I've been asking about, and I don't want the thread to get lost in the mix. I don't think I've been bumping the thread an unreasonable amount... It's only been twice in a few days.
Old 6/22/14, 10:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Ah. Well, ask that, instead of 'bump'. And yeah, there's rules about bumpage per week, just tryin' to keep ya from bein' troubled is all.

Now then. I can help! I think... I hope so anyway.

Swapping the trunk lids is simple. Both cars:

1) remove the cover for center light and trunk locking mechanism.

2) Disconnect all electrical from the trunk lid so that the harness is now unattached to the trunk lid itself, and hangin' out by the right side hinge.

3) Remove the lock cylinder. There may be other things(tm) that need removal to get that particular part out. THAT is all you need to keep with your vehicle, for it matches your door lock and ignition lock. Put it somewhere in the trunk or elsewhere you won't lose it. It is advisable to also remove the latch as well, and keep the latch/lock as a set, as well as having the latch off for installation purposes.

4) The trunk lid can now be removed from the hinges.

5) Installation is the reverse of removal, with these caveats: Remove (or don't put back on yet) the latch. Keep the latch/lock off the car so the trunk will not lock on you. When you put the trunk lid on the hinges, you will want to test fit, adjust, test fit some more, repeat repeat repeat until you get it all lined up. Once you're satisfied the alignment's good, you can then attach the latch/lock combo and do some final testing with the key and the remote, testing that both methods work and the trunk operates as normal.

6) You'll want to figure out how to get the medallion off and remounted if you're going GT to V6 or such, unless you don't mind the medallion not matching your car's pedigree. I personally wouldn't mind a pony instead of the GT, and I have a medallion around here... somewhere... But this entails getting the double sided tape cut from the back of the medallion (fishing line I hear is the thing, then goo gone to get the remainder off), either prying it carefully with a non-marring device or pushing it out from the inside on those two posts, however you do that... and then reapply the swapped medallion with more double sided tape. Be sure to clean the area with alcohol to ensure good adhesion.

7) Now is a good time to replace the center stop light bulb before you put the cover back on. Oh, and if the cover's being a pill, take out the two clips that hold it on, and bend the teeth inwards to get it to catch the plastic better. Those clips *suck*. I hate them. I'd rather use a screw instead for a cover like that.. bulbs burn out, ya know, Ford... You might also need to attempt to move the clip a little side to side to it can maybe grip onto 'virgin' plastic, instead of the ruts that eventually get worn in to the cover's tabs. It's really not a great design, that cover/clip system.

That's it. If you wish to see how the trunk lock cylinder is taken out, you can go right here and have a look at the shop manual for your '06:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=466&viewfil...k Cylinder.pdf

Although you might want to maybe, possibly, also move your latch (which has the electrical actuator in it) with the lock cylinder, 'cause you don't know the condition of the donor's. Here's that info:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=466&viewfil... Lid Latch.pdf

Now, as mentioned above, you don't know the conditions of the donor's working bits. You already get to keep your electrical harness. But your stop lamp, latch, and all that from the donor might have issues, so if you're a little concerned, everything in the center bit could be considered 'keeping'. It's a little bit extra work, and might make you look paranoid to the donor if it's a full swap, but your stuff works now. Does his/hers?

Just a lil' food for thought. Heh.

Good luck to ya, and hope that helps ya out!

Last edited by houtex; 6/22/14 at 10:29 PM.
Old 6/23/14, 05:23 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Moving to '05-09 Exterior Modifications,' but will leave a link for a few hours . . .
Old 6/25/14, 08:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Ah. Well, ask that, instead of 'bump'. And yeah, there's rules about bumpage per week, just tryin' to keep ya from bein' troubled is all.

Now then. I can help! I think... I hope so anyway.

Swapping the trunk lids is simple. Both cars:

1) remove the cover for center light and trunk locking mechanism.

2) Disconnect all electrical from the trunk lid so that the harness is now unattached to the trunk lid itself, and hangin' out by the right side hinge.

3) Remove the lock cylinder. There may be other things(tm) that need removal to get that particular part out. THAT is all you need to keep with your vehicle, for it matches your door lock and ignition lock. Put it somewhere in the trunk or elsewhere you won't lose it. It is advisable to also remove the latch as well, and keep the latch/lock as a set, as well as having the latch off for installation purposes.

4) The trunk lid can now be removed from the hinges.

5) Installation is the reverse of removal, with these caveats: Remove (or don't put back on yet) the latch. Keep the latch/lock off the car so the trunk will not lock on you. When you put the trunk lid on the hinges, you will want to test fit, adjust, test fit some more, repeat repeat repeat until you get it all lined up. Once you're satisfied the alignment's good, you can then attach the latch/lock combo and do some final testing with the key and the remote, testing that both methods work and the trunk operates as normal.

6) You'll want to figure out how to get the medallion off and remounted if you're going GT to V6 or such, unless you don't mind the medallion not matching your car's pedigree. I personally wouldn't mind a pony instead of the GT, and I have a medallion around here... somewhere... But this entails getting the double sided tape cut from the back of the medallion (fishing line I hear is the thing, then goo gone to get the remainder off), either prying it carefully with a non-marring device or pushing it out from the inside on those two posts, however you do that... and then reapply the swapped medallion with more double sided tape. Be sure to clean the area with alcohol to ensure good adhesion.

7) Now is a good time to replace the center stop light bulb before you put the cover back on. Oh, and if the cover's being a pill, take out the two clips that hold it on, and bend the teeth inwards to get it to catch the plastic better. Those clips *suck*. I hate them. I'd rather use a screw instead for a cover like that.. bulbs burn out, ya know, Ford... You might also need to attempt to move the clip a little side to side to it can maybe grip onto 'virgin' plastic, instead of the ruts that eventually get worn in to the cover's tabs. It's really not a great design, that cover/clip system.

That's it. If you wish to see how the trunk lock cylinder is taken out, you can go right here and have a look at the shop manual for your '06:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=466&viewfil...k Cylinder.pdf

Although you might want to maybe, possibly, also move your latch (which has the electrical actuator in it) with the lock cylinder, 'cause you don't know the condition of the donor's. Here's that info:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=466&viewfil... Lid Latch.pdf

Now, as mentioned above, you don't know the conditions of the donor's working bits. You already get to keep your electrical harness. But your stop lamp, latch, and all that from the donor might have issues, so if you're a little concerned, everything in the center bit could be considered 'keeping'. It's a little bit extra work, and might make you look paranoid to the donor if it's a full swap, but your stuff works now. Does his/hers?

Just a lil' food for thought. Heh.

Good luck to ya, and hope that helps ya out!
Houtex you're the man. Sorry if I was rude before. You can never really tell the attitude of someone over the internet. I really appreciate it, and sorry for the less than kind words before. You have defined what a forum is about with alllllll of that helpful information. I will start looking now that I know all that. Thanks again!