05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

So much for my SHR Grille Inserts...

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/08, 03:31 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Crap Marcello! Again!?! What a pain in the butt. There's a lot of stuff I miss about Florida, but not giong through the board up, evacuate, etc. Good luck and take care, stay safe and hope for the best.
It's ridiculous lately.

2004 we got hit by 3 after not having any for like 20 years, and that was rough by #3 because living on a small generator and stuff loses it's appeal after about 3 weeks.

FF to 2008, and earlier this year we had wildfires burning every other open lot. After two years + of below average rains, everything was brown and burning. Now, in two days we've gotten over 20 inches of rain, and even the sandy soil we have here can't take that kind of deluge in such a short time. This is after they said the storm was supposed to be on the west coast, not the east...

I'm beginning to think this isn't such a great place anymore to live...
Old 8/20/08, 04:15 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
It's ridiculous lately.

2004 we got hit by 3 after not having any for like 20 years, and that was rough by #3 because living on a small generator and stuff loses it's appeal after about 3 weeks.

FF to 2008, and earlier this year we had wildfires burning every other open lot. After two years + of below average rains, everything was brown and burning. Now, in two days we've gotten over 20 inches of rain, and even the sandy soil we have here can't take that kind of deluge in such a short time. This is after they said the storm was supposed to be on the west coast, not the east...

I'm beginning to think this isn't such a great place anymore to live...
The 2004 storms were part of the reason I moved out in 05. I got out at the right time before property values tanked. It's a lot of work to pick up and move a shop like yours, enjoy the sun. Like they say, the grass always seems greener on the always side, but really it's just a different shade of green. Stay dry, hope the storm leaves the shop in tact.
Old 8/20/08, 04:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't understand how you folks that live in Hurricane and Tornado country deal with it year in and year out.

Not worth it to me to live in any of those states that have these issues.
Old 8/20/08, 04:24 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll take hurricanes and tornados over fires and earthquakes.
Old 8/20/08, 04:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big earthquakes are far and few between. Fires are bad normally in real dry seasons and tend to be down south more than up here in the north and the terrain has a lot to do with how bad the fires get. Many areas cannot be reached wiht normal fire trucks, although this year we had it bad everywhere mainly do to low rains this year and lots of lightning strikes. Tornado's and Hurricanes happen yearly and multiple times a years, screw that.

Also if my house happens to get damaged in a earthquake which is very rare, at least it is in the same place it was before the earthquake not 5 miles down the road with all my belongings scattered over miles.

I do not think you folks understand earthquakes which is why you fear them so much. We have minor tremors just about daily but hardly anyone ever feels them and most go unreported. The last Major quake was 1989 when was the last bad hurricane or tornado?

Screw that I will take a earthquake right now over any Tornado or Hurricane

Last edited by 06GT4RAD; 8/20/08 at 04:56 PM.
Old 8/21/08, 05:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Marcello, try and stay dry! I hope your shop is ok.

My point for this post was not to complain about the inserts (I love them!) but rather to point out that maybe just snapping them in isn't the best way of installing them, since road debris, car washes, or ??? could un-snap them and adios grille insert.

Lesson learned! I want another one. Drivers side, how much to replace? Will you sell me just one?

Once I get a complete set again I'm gluing the crap out of them so that they will never fall off again!

06GT4RAD, I hear ya! That 5.2 earthquake we had a couple of weeks ago was nothing... a couple of broken windows here and there, and a brief power outage. First one since the 2003 San Simeon earthquake, and even that one was a non-event as well. I'd rather deal with earthquakes than hurricanes, tornadoes, dust bowls, floods, space alien invasions, etc that you seem to get in Eastern states.
Old 8/21/08, 09:59 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Ehh, hurricanes you can prepare for. Tornadoes, earthquakes - there isn't much warning. And given the relatively low odds of being hit by the hurricanes hard, I can take them if it is the only thing I have to worry about to have 8 (yes eight!) road course tracks within an 8 hour radius of home Not to mention the beach, fishing, etc.. all within minutes of home, and no restrictive laws on gun ownership or cars like in some other coastal states.

That said, this is getting old. After about 20+ years of relatively mild hurricane issues, we've been getting hit lately like there's no tomorrow (and the way it's going there might not be!) The fires were just insult to injury, and I'm curious (not really) about what's next...

Anyway, no sweat on the insert, just call us tomorrow when we are open again, and we'll get you taken care of. We didn't flood, but the roads are still under water, and with schools closed tomorrow I expect it might be a day with only a couple of our employees there. Given that UPS and FedEx haven't been on route for 2-3 days now, it's going to be a lot of catching up tomorrow to get into the weekend.
Old 8/22/08, 10:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
The 2004 storms were part of the reason I moved out in 05. I got out at the right time before property values tanked. It's a lot of work to pick up and move a shop like yours, enjoy the sun. Like they say, the grass always seems greener on the always side, but really it's just a different shade of green. Stay dry, hope the storm leaves the shop in tact.
You should have moved to Tampa - we're famous for dodging bullets
Old 8/22/08, 11:36 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by MTAS
You should have moved to Tampa - we're famous for dodging bullets
Yeah, so I've noticed... seems like every time they say it's going to hit Tampa I think we need to prepare for the worst...
Old 11/2/12, 02:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Is the stock lower grille made of ABS plastic as well?
The reason I ask is that ABS can be welded using acetone or ABS cement. I did this on my Ducati's cracked front fender which was ABS plastic. Some acetone and it was welded back together and then reinforced with ABS cement. It's not an adhesive, it welds the ABS together.

How do we remove the stock lower grille so that we can weld the ABS parts together? I can't figure out how the lower grille attaches to the fascia.
Old 11/5/12, 05:26 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Wow, this is bringing up an old post... the stock lower just snaps into the bumper with a tongue-in-groove design. So it unclips and pulls forward out of the bumper. Once out, you could plastic weld, rivet, glue, or otherwise bond pieces to your heart's content, and the fit is so tight that it would work well without much of any "filler" type glue.
Old 11/5/12, 05:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I tried my best but couldn't pull the stock lower out of the bumper fascia. Do I have to lift the tabs from the back? Or do I just yank really hard and pull forward?
Old 11/5/12, 05:35 PM
Legacy Tms Member

A screwdriver on the tab "teeth" on the backside helps it out, but once it starts to release, it normally comes out pretty easily. Worst case, remove the radiator deflector on the bottom, gain access to the tabs, and start on one side and work your way across. I've never had to pull a bumper completely off to swap these out for say the A47 brake duct grill.
Old 11/5/12, 05:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Do you know if the stock lower grille made out of ABS plastic like the SHR grille inserts?
Old 11/5/12, 05:45 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Our pieces are ASA, which is very similar to ABS, but with more UV protective properties to it.

The stock lower is ABS.
Old 11/6/12, 07:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I have had a SHR GT/CS lower grille installed for over 18 months with absolutely no issues. Great product, quality and fit.
Old 11/23/12, 04:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We had a good sized rain last year and my wife hit several puddles
of water. Needless to say they were both gone after that.

If you get them drill & bolt them suckers in or your gonna lose em.