05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

So much for my SHR Grille Inserts...

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/08, 09:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Unhappy So much for my SHR Grille Inserts...

One of my SHR grille inserts has fallen out is probably laying on the side of the road somewhere.

I noticed a few weeks ago that they both appeared "pushed in" for some reason so I snapped them back in their correct place. Well, I guess that the "snap in" installation wasn't as durable as I first thought... I should have glued mine in I suppose.

Guess I will ditch the other one to make it uniform again. Back to the large, gaping hole in my front end!!!

A word to the wise - glue your SHR inserts or you may not have them any more!
Old 8/12/08, 11:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the heads up. i wonder if there is better alternative to gluing it? i would like to be able to remove it if i need to. duct tape or something... gotta go and examine it closely this weekend and figure something out.
Old 8/13/08, 06:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
You should PM Marcello.... maybe he'll have some good advice.
Old 8/13/08, 09:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
You should PM Marcello.... maybe he'll have some good advice.
DEFINATELY!!!! Call or Write or PM or E-Mail him ASAP.
Old 8/13/08, 10:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3M tape should do the trick I'd think.

-danny
Old 8/13/08, 12:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by pegasusphototx
3M tape should do the trick I'd think.

-danny
That would do it, but you won't be able to get them out too easily. I'm thinking GE silicon clear adhesive.
Old 8/13/08, 12:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
how about some pictures
Old 8/13/08, 01:38 PM
Bullitt Member

maybe

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/p...9_front200.jpg
Old 8/13/08, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

hmm... i think i will try that. got some velcro strips lying around from a previous project. thanks.
Old 8/13/08, 04:15 PM
Legacy Tms Member

We were just a phone call away if you needed some help on that...

While I've had my set in from day one, I haven't had or seen any problems in the field that we're aware of with bad fit. Since we make the part to Ford's prints, it's hard to say we're missing the boat somewhere on the design side of it and the wedge angle is enough to keep the part in place at even legal + driving speeds, so long as it does not get hit by large debris. They are designed to be removable, and in the instructions it does say for a permanent installation to glue or rivet them into place. Alternatively 3M VHB thin tape could work, but there isn't much room for it - like was stated in the original thread about these, we recommend ABS-compatible glues for a permanent bond, which will make the entire front lower grill into one piece basically.

The only call we have had (and there are a lot of sets of these floating around now) was someone who lost one side, and thought that it might have been hit by something that he saw get thrown up from another vehicle, basically taking the hit and doing it's job as a sacrificial part compared to the condensor or an intercooler... and that one we shipped him a replacement at N/C because that's just how we work around here.

If you need a replacement, call us up next Monday - we'll be out of the office tomorrow and Friday for an event, but we can take care of you then if you still want a matching pair.

(edit) BTW - on the velcro, I don't think there is enough room for that to work. You're talking about adding around .100" to any given side, and there just isn't that kind of play between our part and the factory grill. That, and it won't be as strong as the VHB tape I spoke about above, which only comes in at around .010" thick in the "thin" variety.

Last edited by SilverHorse-----Racing; 8/13/08 at 04:17 PM.
Old 8/13/08, 05:28 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess is road debris. I had a car in front of me kick up a piece of semi truck retread and it took the entire OE lower grill out. I pulled over along side of I75 in Sarasota during rush hour and it was hanging in by just a couple of clips on the left side.
Old 8/14/08, 08:38 PM

When I installed my SHR inserts a few months ago I ran a black Ty-Rap through the upper opening of the two inserts connecting them to the center post of the bumper (which is also black). I figured if something hits one it may come loose but it can't fall out and get lost. The Ty-Rap is hard to see unless you're looking for it. The SHR inserts look great and I've had no problems so far!
Old 8/15/08, 11:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Again, SHR is standing behind their products...I am always proud when the question comes up on the honeycomb or billet medallion just how impressed I am with everything they produce...

All is good!
Old 8/18/08, 09:48 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Mach
Again, SHR is standing behind their products...I am always proud when the question comes up on the honeycomb or billet medallion just how impressed I am with everything they produce...

All is good!
Thanks, too bad being copied is supposedly the sincerest form of flattery... some crappy competitor just released another "designer" piece that is eerily like the Basic Rear Medallion we have had on the market for almost two years. I'm guessing the cost savings are from not sending the part to finishing (no anodizing, no options, etc), and maybe skimping on a couple other details, but what goes around comes around...

Man I hate them. Wait until they see how we respond
Old 8/18/08, 09:56 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Oh, and to not end on a bad rant mode...

I think that we will finally put in writing what we've done as far as standing behind our products for everyone since day one. We already took care of anyone that we knew had any issues, but I think we're going to make it part of our written stuff shortly. I was always a believer in the "Tommy Boy" school of labeling things, but it's funny that there is a certain truth to a lot of what is siad in that movie.
Old 8/20/08, 07:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Marcello, I think these people would copy you if you farted lol. I've never seen products copied as much as yours are. It's very pathetic on their part, but it says a lot about the products that you make.
Old 8/20/08, 08:57 AM
Cobra Member

Marcello any chance of those newly designed chrome door handles??

Yeah yeah I know but it doesnt hurt to keep asking
Old 8/20/08, 02:27 PM
Legacy Tms Member

No, unfortunately I don't think we're going to do them - I do have the prototype, but it took so long to fixture / machine it that I just don't think it can be affordably done. The arcs and stuff in the part make for too many operations, and multiply x 2 because it has to have a mirror image. Even with the new machining center it still seems like a stretch. I'd say we could tool up for a custom extrusion die from the aluminum mill, but the minimum order of a couple thousand pounds of stock means we'd have to make a lot of these to payback the die charge / material order, and that doesn't appear to be in the cards given demand for the current handles.

BTW, we're closed now, had to evac the shop due to floodwaters rising, and it took all my F350 had to get out, as the road leading in is now under about 1.5 ft. of water and rising... hopefully it lets up so we don't have any flood damage inside the shop, but I'm not too hopeful of that given the fact that Fay has now stalled....
Old 8/20/08, 02:33 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Crap Marcello! Again!?! What a pain in the butt. There's a lot of stuff I miss about Florida, but not giong through the board up, evacuate, etc. Good luck and take care, stay safe and hope for the best.
Old 8/20/08, 02:58 PM
Cobra Member

Sorry to hear that about the door handles. and even more sorry to hear that your having to evacuate. Good Luck and stay safe.

Quick Reply: So much for my SHR Grille Inserts...