05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Saleen Quarter Windows

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/07, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saleen Quarter Windows

I just received Saleen Quarter Windows in the mail. I thought they were going to be easy to put on, maybe with 3M tape but I was wrong. There is a whole process to put them on with taping and painting and gluing and they say a professional should do it. I am surely no professional but my main concern is will these windows ruin the original window? Are they permanent? should I return them? Ugh, what should I do? They do look great on the car!

Thanks
Rob Omen
Old 10/15/07, 02:02 PM
Den
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob,
I just checked out the instructions on Saleens website. There really is no painting involved. They basically want you to glue the panels on with some sort of urathane glue. The primer they are refiring to is something that you put on the window and it will chemically etch the window to make the glue they are recommending bond to it. This is some sort of professional bonding stuff. The paint thinner is simply to clean the wax and other oils off the bonding surfaces. I can tell you now if you use Saleens bonding technique it will be permanent. Even if you were able to chisle off the panel, the glass under it would be ruined from the primer.

If I were in your shoes I would try sticking 3m double sided tape in the places that Saleen says to put the glue. I'll bet Saleen has to do it with the glue because they are selling the product to the public and it needs to meet some kind of bonding requirements by the government. I'll bet you will be fine with double sided tape. I saw the tape at office max the other day. I'll bet walmart would even have it. Stick with 3M though (no pun intended). If this doesn't work, at least you can still pull it back off you car and return it without ruining your car. Just use your best judgement if you think it will hold or not.

Den
Old 10/15/07, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob, I used the double sided 3-m tape for my Roush quarter window louvers and they are holding just fine. I used alcohol to prep the glass and paint. Make sure you dont touch the sticky surface during installation, (the oils from your fingers and stuff may help it to not stick as well),

good luck.