05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Is this a replacement or overlay grille?

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/07, 08:07 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nonstopred
question....if I get a gt bumper. Can I put this in there w/o using a stock gt grille? or do I need to get a full replacement billet like the cdc.
No. You wouldn't need the stock GT grille.
In fact, the GT & V6 grilles are so close in dimensions (not close enough to be a direct replacement though) you could probably use most any replacement billet grille in either bumper cover.
Old 6/19/07, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeh because i have a dilema. I hate the v6 bumper, and I want to get a chin spoiler. So I figured I'll get a takeoff gt bumper and a cdc classic chin. But I really like the grille i have (black billet) and want to use that other than paying 250 for a cdc or making my car look like a gt and paying like 180 for a gt grille/fogs
Old 6/19/07, 08:32 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I would go ahead and order the GT front fascia. Then, when it comes in, do a test fit with your current billet grille. Both bumper covers have the same tabs for mounting their respective grilles. The difference is which tabs have mounting holes. Take a look at you V6 bumper and you'll see there are some tabs w/o holes in them. Those are the ones that would be used on a GT bumper. I'm guessing Ford initially wanted to use the same size grille in both models.
Old 6/25/07, 05:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
A couple of us ordered them, so we'll see what's what in a few days. I guess Louie and I are the guinea pigs on this one.
Hey Kevin, did you get your grille yet? Mine is still on the way, probably in Dutch customs by now, but since I don't have a tracking number I don't know for sure.
Old 6/25/07, 07:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine was backordered, but shipped Friday for delivery on the 28th, so I only had to wait a few extra days... I better not get Ace Ventura, UPS man like I did with my mufflers.
Old 6/25/07, 07:58 AM
Cobra Member

Mine was backordered, but shipped Friday for delivery on the 28th, so I only had to wait a few extra days... I better not get Ace Ventura, UPS man like I did with my mufflers.
Mine shipped out on the 15th via USPS, hopefully it arrives this week. I hope Ace Ventura didn't move to the Dutch Customs, although I've never had a package arrive damaged or incomplete from the US. Fingers crossed!
Old 6/27/07, 10:12 AM
Cobra Member

My black billet grille just arrived in perfect condition and I must say it looks great!
I have a football game right now, so installation will have to wait till tomorrow (that's if I can wait one more day). Pics for sure tomorrow, in a separate thread!
Old 6/27/07, 09:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Awesome! My grille comes in tomorrow as does my JLT from Bama, and my Cervinis splitter is getting painted as well
Old 7/1/07, 07:27 AM
Cobra Member

Updates? Can the fogs be retained behind the grille?
Old 7/1/07, 09:13 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by HastaLaVista
Updates? Can the fogs be retained behind the grille?
We're gonna have to wait for someone else to try it, neither myself nor Kevin will install them.
Old 7/1/07, 12:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Louie, when you moved the brackets did you need any extra materials? I'm gonna put mine in today after work but would like to know if I need to pick anything up on the way home.
Old 7/1/07, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Louie
The full billet grille removes the factory fog lights giving your GT a sleek look. The unique bolt-in design requires no cutting or drilling. Grilles are CAD designed and hand TIG welded in a CNC milled fixture insuring aerospace quality tolerances. Carriage Works forms and machines all billet grilles from 6061 T6 solid aluminum, not extruded “E†channel like lesser quality brands.
http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...eIndexID=58656
So is this a direct bolt-in or not?? When I clicked on the pdf file that Moss sent you, it states in step 5 to mark & then drill into the bumper cover, yet the description on there web site states no drilling or cutting..

Also, I know that you will not be putting in the fogs, but does it look like they could fit behind the grille and does it come with the brackets for them anyways?

Thanks
Old 7/1/07, 05:04 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Louie, when you moved the brackets did you need any extra materials? I'm gonna put mine in today after work but would like to know if I need to pick anything up on the way home.
I only used some longer bolts and nuts to attach the upper brackets to the radiator core support. Holding the nut in place inside the core support through the existing hole was very tricky though. I'd say don't start drilling until you figure out everything you need to get the job done.

Originally Posted by 05Blackbeauty
So is this a direct bolt-in or not?? When I clicked on the pdf file that Moss sent you, it states in step 5 to mark & then drill into the bumper cover, yet the description on there web site states no drilling or cutting..

Also, I know that you will not be putting in the fogs, but does it look like they could fit behind the grille and does it come with the brackets for them anyways?

Thanks
1. Sort of "bolt on", you still need to drill 4 holes to attach the supplied brackets to the plastic bumper cover and the radiator core support.

2. There's plenty of space to attach the foglights, as this grille sits more flush with the outside of the grille shell, but you need extra parts to attach them to the grille. I couldn't say exactly what is needed, but I'm thinking some extra brackets must be made/bought.
Old 7/1/07, 07:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Eh, it was a piece o cake to put in. I just used some 1/2" thick plastic standoffs for the upper brackets. I definitely have to go back in there and spray some flat black spray paint on everything though. You drill(I just pushed a small awl through) into the bumper cover, but its covered by the stock grille if you put it back. I put one of the bracket speed nuts under the cover(you can do it from up top) to back it up a bit. Easy! Great looking grille, again I just need to spray the stuff back there black. Prolly use BBQ black paint, covers in very thin coats, ultra flat, and heat resistant. Even with 3k miles I had some scuffs from the edge of the stock grille, will hit it with a touch of compound at work tomorrow.

You could definitely spot weld some brackets to hold the fogs back there with a bit of work(it would take some serious care to make sure they stay straight as you are working against two angles), and simply repaint/powdercoat the grille. I'll post a couple pics in the Moss grille thread tomorrow. Me likey! I just need to get the lower grille this week and I can put a chin spoiler on and call it a day. I hate my license plate but I have no choice as you get busted in no time without it here. I got up to 90 with no flutter, I didn't want to push my luck as LEO's are out in force for the holiday week.
Old 7/1/07, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I got up to 90 with no flutter, I didn't want to push my luck as LEO's are out in force for the holiday week.
Especially being that it is the 1st & the new Fines are now in effect.
Old 7/2/07, 11:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've been pretty good about staying sub-80 these days. Just didn't want any surprises first time out on the highway. I was thinking about it, and it wouldn't be that hard to make some sheet steel plates for the outer 8" or so on each size, fasten them to the back of the grille and of course have them painted flat black. would cut down on the massive ammounts of air an open grille can take in. But that's for another day. If it gives me any issues at the track I'll look into it.