05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Made in the USA

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/08, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
It's still an American muscle car.. Now it's just a broader sense of it. It's a North American muscle car.
I can see it now, "Made in America" stamped on some part with a miniscule "North" shoved in there.
Old 1/6/08, 03:23 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think what you are seeing there is similar to the "ADM" charged on the GT's when they first made it to market, the Shelby's now, and whatever comes tomorrow - they know there is a certain segment that has to "have it now" and will pay the price, even though they know that eventually the free market of competition will catch up with them and they will have to lower their prices or exit that market.

One of our founding ideas I "borrowed" from an old saying - basically we want you to remember us for our quality and service, and not the pain you felt having to pay for the product. It's always nice to hear from customers that everything is going well and things are fairly priced, rather than hearing "oh their stuff is great, but who can afford it?" We want people to recommend us to their friends, and you can't do that when the price is just not in check with what you're buying.

I unfortunately agree with you on the header issue, and our car doesn't have any right now - although it will shortly - but there was no way I was going to pay (or offer for sale and ask our customers to pay) for what should be a 500.00 MAX item - heck, they aren't that much different than the ones on my 73, and they were ~ 350.00 with the ceramic coating.

On the "Made in North America" thing... there was a company (non-auto related) who at one time was 100% US made. Well, through the years, and changing of hands, it got to the point where the only part "Made in the USA" was a polished casting piece on the top. Guess where they stuck the "Made in USA" flag.... It was a sad state of affairs to see it, but legally they were within their rights to do it.

To anyone that asks (and signs their life away on a liability / confidentiality waiver) we're happy to let you come in our shop and see everything is made right here - heck, I remember when we were building the tool for the honeycomb panel we were taking pictures and posting them in the thread to keep everyone informed as we were making progress. Kind of hard to do if the plant is halfway around the world

Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
If everyone priced their items and had the quality control that you do, Marcello, I don't think there'd have to be any discussion here. Unfortunately, you've got places charging in upwards of $1500 for some headers. And while I can see $500-$1000, $1500 for headers for these cars is insane. And there are many products like that. Car parts, and other products in general. If the American companies would take a momentary loss and lower their prices, they'd make out better in the long run.
Old 1/6/08, 03:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

NAFTA sucks, period. As far as I can tell, every mod I've made is USA Made. Save the tires. They're from Japan, BUT, I burn the hellck out of them, and tread on them daily.
Old 1/6/08, 03:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
I think what you are seeing there is similar to the "ADM" charged on the GT's when they first made it to market, the Shelby's now, and whatever comes tomorrow - they know there is a certain segment that has to "have it now" and will pay the price, even though they know that eventually the free market of competition will catch up with them and they will have to lower their prices or exit that market.

One of our founding ideas I "borrowed" from an old saying - basically we want you to remember us for our quality and service, and not the pain you felt having to pay for the product. It's always nice to hear from customers that everything is going well and things are fairly priced, rather than hearing "oh their stuff is great, but who can afford it?" We want people to recommend us to their friends, and you can't do that when the price is just not in check with what you're buying.

I unfortunately agree with you on the header issue, and our car doesn't have any right now - although it will shortly - but there was no way I was going to pay (or offer for sale and ask our customers to pay) for what should be a 500.00 MAX item - heck, they aren't that much different than the ones on my 73, and they were ~ 350.00 with the ceramic coating.

On the "Made in North America" thing... there was a company (non-auto related) who at one time was 100% US made. Well, through the years, and changing of hands, it got to the point where the only part "Made in the USA" was a polished casting piece on the top. Guess where they stuck the "Made in USA" flag.... It was a sad state of affairs to see it, but legally they were within their rights to do it.

To anyone that asks (and signs their life away on a liability / confidentiality waiver) we're happy to let you come in our shop and see everything is made right here - heck, I remember when we were building the tool for the honeycomb panel we were taking pictures and posting them in the thread to keep everyone informed as we were making progress. Kind of hard to do if the plant is halfway around the world

Marcello...Keep doing what you guys have been doing and you will survive this thing. I have always bought American and built things for America for over 30 years. It truely is a global economy. However there is alot of greed going around over here. If we did not buy their stuff then they (off shore) would not be so strong. But the truth is they are kicking our butts. Keep up the good products at a fair price and you guys will survive!!!
Scott
Old 1/6/08, 03:41 PM
GT Member

I'm glad to see everyone is behaving here, Its nice to see people expressing their opinions on such a touchy subject with respect to everyone else.

I was thinking of only get comments from the consumer end of the discussion but I appreciate Marcello's view from his position of supplier. Its obvious to me he's concerned about the customer, a rare bird. Hey Marcello, do I get a discount on my first order? just pulling your joint LOL.

I wonder if we'll get any input from a supplier of Chinese only made products?

Thanks for the intelligent responses, especially since the playoffs are on and most of you have better things to do.
Old 1/6/08, 04:01 PM
Legacy Tms Member

LOL - I could tell you who to ask for their opinion on import-only product lines, but that wouldn't be very nice Anyway, a lot of us already know who they are...

Seriously - the way to beat the import products is to make it better here and competitively priced. It can be done, we're proof of the concept. Then the market gets to shake it out and decide who wins. So far we're doing great, and all of it because of our customers believing in us and our ideals as a company. Of course, when you look at some of the competition in the "billet" market (and to a lesser degree the designs of similar injected products we compete against), it's easy to see why we're able to be where we are with it.

There is a market for their (offshore) products, both automotive related, and non-auto related. Most "commodity" items are of this nature, because they have been built for eons and there is no thought process involved in making things like a coffee pot anymore. Try to build an F22 Raptor, and suddenly the people you trust to make your "mission critical" components dwindles considerably.

Same goes for cars - yeah, there's a lot of regular stuff that can be made anywhere, and so it goes to low bidder and is okay for the intended use (air freshener anyone?) - but if you're racing down the back straight at Sebring at 175MPH and need to nudge the brakes before downshifiting into sunset bend (T17), isn't it good to know that the brakes you are using didn't come from a sweatshop where "that grainy stuff there" was mixed with some eopxy to make "carbon kevlar" brake pads?

A stretch - maybe... but not by much! (And yes, I do like Tommy Boy!)

"You can get a good look at a T-Bone by shoving your head up a .... But wouldn't you rather just take the Butcher's word for it?"
Old 1/6/08, 04:15 PM
Legacy Tms Member

BTW - on the discount... with all the talk of pricing and stuff, it's hard not to enter this discussion without mentioning it, so here's a little tidbit on it.

We don't normally "discount" products too much around here. Putting products on sale doesn't normally change their volume much, which is what you're trying to change by offering a "sale". We've found many of our products people are not too price-sensitive on so long as it is within reason - which brings me to another old saying, basically be fair with your pricing, and be proud to ask for it. It's why when someone argues with us about 5.00 on a shifter bezel or something, I can smile and say they are happy to shop elsewhere... we spend normally 10.00 more PER PART on our billet pieces than our competitors do just in finishing costs (yes I know what they spend, because I've helped their suppliers in many cases make them) and yet we normally are lower priced than they are for their unfinished stuff. So when somebody says they found a great deal on this or that, go for it - it might be a lower price, but it's not a better deal when you look at the long-term ownership of the product.

Anyway, the highest cost for any product is the marketing now more than anything else... believe it or not. That's why it is hard when someone knocks off your product, because all the money spent marketing, developing, etc.. goes out the window, and there is no recouping it when the copycat shows up. I know it's not really part of the discussion, but knock-offs, while cheaper, and sometimes of equal quality, really hurt a lot of businesses in the long-run. It is much easier to reverse-engineer something and offer it at a discount to dealers than it is to take it from napkin sketch to finished product in front of 1,000's of potential customers where they can see the benefit of it, only to buy the knock-off. Yeah, it's a sore point with us, but one we try and combat by making our products all that much more unique and difficult to make, thereby slowing down the copy-cats, and the ones that do get through it is obvious that they copied because of the DNA of the design.

Can you ever stop that - no. But you can make everyone aware of it, and then let them decide what they want to buy, and who they want to buy it from. It is the beauty, and the curse of a free market economy.
Old 1/6/08, 04:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i buy american whenever i can....

but if american parts are gonna be about the same quality as chinese and by far more expensive, ill buy foreign any day...

i will spend more for american parts, more often than not
Old 1/6/08, 07:24 PM

Who ever makes exactly what I want for my car, where ever they may be, is what I'm going to buy. If some Chinese company will make the hood I want for half the price of a US hood and has the same quality, I'll buy it every day of the week. I'm very fortunate to have the car I have, and I won't sacrifice quality on it, however whoever makes the most quality piece, with the best price will get my business, regardless of US made or otherwise. Jeff I talked with you a few times about some of the things you guys were doing with your parts and suggested that you might try some other things and where I've seen you guys have been successful with selling some of your hoods, it's still not what I want and will never be on my car. Now if you'd make the exact hood I want and you were competitively priced with the other company making the exact "officially licensed" hood that I want, I'd be more than happy to buy from you. Some companies have just been more willing to give the consumer what they want and the consumer is going to buy exactly what they want regardless of where it's made.
Old 1/6/08, 07:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
See Jeff, I told you I'd want some popcorn...... and you just thought I was being sarcastic.

Old 1/7/08, 07:23 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2006GT500
Who ever makes exactly what I want for my car, where ever they may be, is what I'm going to buy. If some Chinese company will make the hood I want for half the price of a US hood and has the same quality, I'll buy it every day of the week. I'm very fortunate to have the car I have, and I won't sacrifice quality on it, however whoever makes the most quality piece, with the best price will get my business, regardless of US made or otherwise. Jeff I talked with you a few times about some of the things you guys were doing with your parts and suggested that you might try some other things and where I've seen you guys have been successful with selling some of your hoods, it's still not what I want and will never be on my car. Now if you'd make the exact hood I want and you were competitively priced with the other company making the exact "officially licensed" hood that I want, I'd be more than happy to buy from you. Some companies have just been more willing to give the consumer what they want and the consumer is going to buy exactly what they want regardless of where it's made.
Like Silverhorse stated, its quite common for other companies to copy and rip off a product that you as a supplier have spent a lot of effort and time into developing and marketing. We won't do this to someone else just because the demand is there, both hoods we sell were actually the first ones available in those styles to the market and could be seen at SEMA.

Being a small company using American products and labor to build the hoods we don't have the luxury of producing small runs of hoods when the market just isn't there regardless of how bad one or a few customers want them, its just not cost effective. Thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours go into the development of the molds and plugs to produce the product. Even if the demand is there, a small company can't release too many products at once until development costs are recouped from previous offerings, its just bad business.

On the other hand if a supplier doesn't make what people want it doesn't matter how good or fair priced it is, it won't sell, so there is a fine line to walk.

You say that if an offshore hood was the same quality and half the price you would buy it and I understand that logic but I personally haven't seen that product being sold here in the states, its hard to explain to a layman the differences in quality and production methods of a fiberglass hood but trust me when I say you get what you pay for.

I'd just like to say thanks for everyones opinions, its be enlightening to say the least.

jeff
Old 1/7/08, 08:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RCFGT500

Being a small company using American products and labor to build the hoods we don't have the luxury of producing small runs of hoods when the market just isn't there regardless of how bad one or a few customers want them, its just not cost effective. Thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours go into the development of the molds and plugs to produce the product. Even if the demand is there, a small company can't release too many products at once until development costs are recouped from previous offerings, its just bad business.

jeff
I find this paragraph interesting as I really like your '67 and '68 style hoods with the exception of the extractors. I do feel however that you did cater to a small crowd as these hoods will only work on either the GT500 or a GT500 clone. Both of which are a smaller contingant than the number of owners of stock GT's and 6 cylinder Mustangs. If Ford's numbers are correct and you consider that maybe half again as many people convert their cars to the GT500 front end then your potential customer base is something less than 20K a year whereas the stock Mustang base would have a potential of 150K each year. Given that a small percentage of any base would opt for an aftermarket hood you would be way ahead catering to the stock customer rather than the GT500 & GT500 clone market.

This is the first chance I've had to ask these questions but they have been nagging at me since RCFG first offered the retro Shelby hoods.

BB
Semper Fi
Old 1/7/08, 08:43 AM
Legacy Tms Member

So I'm guessing there is more to this story than the original question posed...
Old 1/7/08, 08:51 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Centurion96
I find this paragraph interesting as I really like your '67 and '68 style hoods with the exception of the extractors. I do feel however that you did cater to a small crowd as these hoods will only work on either the GT500 or a GT500 clone. Both of which are a smaller contingant than the number of owners of stock GT's and 6 cylinder Mustangs. If Ford's numbers are correct and you consider that maybe half again as many people convert their cars to the GT500 front end then your potential customer base is something less than 20K a year whereas the stock Mustang base would have a potential of 150K each year. Given that a small percentage of any base would opt for an aftermarket hood you would be way ahead catering to the stock customer rather than the GT500 & GT500 clone market.

This is the first chance I've had to ask these questions but they have been nagging at me since RCFG first offered the retro Shelby hoods.
BB
Semper Fi
Good question and heres the short answer. We went with the GT500 market because it was new and not yet saturated by the larger hood suppliers, being smaller and US based we can put out a product much faster than the bigger suppliers who need to go through the offshore process to developer and then supply the hoods.

We also anticipated Shelby's release of the KR and knew people would be looking for a less expensive alternative.

We also knew the aftermarket poweradders for the GT500 were going to need the extra hood clearance our hood provides.

Now the good news, the #67 is available without heat extractors for the GT/V6 and the #68 will soon be available for the GT and V6 mustang.

Now for the heat extractors, ours actually work and aren't just for show, the 45% angle of the louvered style hoods don't move the heat from the engine compartment, that simple.

Hope this answers your question.

We are not sponsors of this sight and I don't want to turn this into an ad for our products, its not fair to Silverhorse and other sponsors, if you have any questions about the hoods please PM me.

jeff
Old 1/7/08, 09:08 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
So I'm guessing there is more to this story than the original question posed...
Silverhorse, no ulterior motives here. Like I said early on I'm genuinely interested how the guys here feel about buying non-US made products for their cars and how it relates to me and any other supplier of US made products they may be interested in.

I bought my 05 Mustang before I became involved in developing products for the Mustang, actually the purchase of my Mustang was the reason for my involvement because I didn't like any of the hoods available at the time I was looking to buy one.

jeff
Old 1/7/08, 09:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Quote - "Like Silverhorse stated, its quite common for other companies to copy and rip off a product that you as a supplier have spent a lot of effort and time into developing and marketing"

Response - I think I know what company you are referring to, and if I'm right I want to clearify something. I personally sent them my stock GT500 hood for research and development. They made a hood that many of us on here requested. They didn't rip anything off. I've been without a hood now for months........until today (it's here). Anyway, for my trouble I received one of their new hoods. Yes the hood was made in China, but they were willing to work with me and they made the exact hood I wanted.

I do want to say this Jeff. I appreciate your company and the fact that your product is made in America and you use American labor.....I really do. The simple fact is (as Will said) If I want a product for my car and the quality and price are right, I'm going to buy it, regardless of where it's made. If it comes down to two products, one U.S. made, and one made elsewhere, and price and quality are the same, I'm buying American every time!.
Old 1/7/08, 09:17 AM
GT Member

just as America is dependant on foreign countries for oil, we will also be dependant on foreign countries for the other products we use, being dependant for products makes us a slave to these countries, we are selling our selfs out, and creating a doom that we are sure to experience, other countries will own us by the fact that we will not be a self sufficient country, dependence is not a good thing, they swore that they would take over this country without firing a shot, and to me this sounds like the way to do it, nafta was the down fall to American workers, JMHO
Old 1/7/08, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

You started this thread about Made in the US. After reading your thread, I thought that we can have a discussion regarding "Global Market" but now, it seem like you are trying to take shots at companies that are making their products in oversea.
So if you are buying product overseas meaning you are helping that countries ecomony. 48% of our Mustang so why are we not bashing ford for not making their products here. Ford motor company employed thousands and thousands of employees and when they go overseas, it has a big affect to many people as compare to companies on this site, is miniscule.
I feel like this thread that you started is not about "Made in the USA" but you are bashing your competitor for making their products overseas..

If your passionate about products made in the USA, then is the computer that you are using and the keyboard that you are typing on, are they made here?
Back in the 80's, I remember watching the news of union people using the sledge hammer destroying Hondas and Toytotas. Funny now that both of those company are making there products here and American comp going overseas.
I support companies that cater to my needs. If you have the products I want, it doesnt matter to me where it made. Thats just business.
Old 1/7/08, 10:22 AM
GT Member

I'm not bashing anybody, I picked hoods because its a major investment for the buyer, its a product a lot of people here are interested in and its something I know about.

There must be 20 different hood manufactures out there and not all of them build their hoods offshore or Mexico, so I'm not trying to point a finger at any one supplier.

Just looking for people's opinions and as you can see they vary up and down the scale, good stuff.

jeff
Old 1/7/08, 08:35 PM

Jeff I'm not trying to bash you or attack you so please don't take it that way. I would like to say though that hoods similar to yours were made prior to you making them. The fact that yours were GT500 specific is a plus for those of us with GT500s or those that have added the GT500 front end to their cars however, I have yet to see anyone "rip off" your design or anything similar to what you guys have made. Your hoods are unique and some people like them and sing your praises, however their not for everyone. A lot of people were upset about the fact that the 2008 KR hood was not being made and contacted a supplier and they got lucky. If you guys made the same hood I'm sure people would have jumped all over it too. If you guys made the SS hood that I want I'd buy it. So far Shelby is the only one building it and I don't feel like paying $1000 + shipping for a hood. Cervini's makes some of the most quality aftermarket stuff around and their hoods are quite a bit cheaper than most on the market. Hell there's a guy making Carbon Fiber GT500 hoods that are the same price as yours and others fiberglass hoods. I understand that there are other factors involved in pricing an item, but how much does it really cost to make a quality fiberglass hood. If Cervini's can do hoods for $479 I don't see why others can't.