05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Installing PIAA fogs in 07-09 GT/CS lower grill?

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/20, 02:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Installing PIAA fogs in 07-09 GT/CS lower grill?

Last year I replaced the front and rear bumpers on my 07 Torch Red GT with GT/CS bumpers. Later I purchased the lower grill insert from Marcello at Silverhorse Racing as he had made a special run. Recently Shelby America made a run of their fog lamp bezels so I purchased a set of those as well. I'm wanting to install PIAA 530 fogs in the bezels but have not found any threads showing how to mount these fogs after searching the many Mustang forums to which I subscribe. If anyone has done this mod and has photos or a writeup it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 5/16/20, 03:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Well, this was an interesting thing to come across, and caused me to do some lookin' around. Check it out, for those who don't know...

https://www.carrollshelbyracing.com/...ONLY%29.html#/

So... guess what I did.

Now, as to mounting the PIAA's, or any other ones, perhaps Rick's setup will help:

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...6/#post6637338

But if I remember correctly, there *used* to be some sort of bracket you'd put on the back side of the bezel, sorta like a cup, that'd be the backing for whatever the lamp was that you stuck in it. What Rick has done is figured out a way to just mount the things and let the bezel be the bezel alone.

All I know is that' I'm just getting some and then I'll figure the mounting out later. And that you gotta cut your current bumper to make them work. I'm going to try to do that, but still leave it so I can swap in the old GT/CS bezels in there if I wanted to. We'll see.

Edit: Well.. look at this why don't ya?
https://www.carrollshelbyracing.com/...ONLY%29.html#/

And then this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gie...ature=youtu.be

So... there it all is. How handy.

Last edited by houtex; 5/16/20 at 03:48 PM.
Old 5/16/20, 03:52 PM
GT Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
I made my own bezels and brackets out of 1/8 inch aluminum. I used Lights from Starkey Products. Looking at pictures of the PIAA 530 lights I think it will be much easier to make a bracket. I would think that a simple L bracket off of the lower inside bumper bolt should work pretty good. Get some 1/8 inch flat aluminum bar and cut to the length needed and bend a 90 degree angle at the bottom. Drill a hole and bolt it to the PIAA bracket. These pictures will show the bolt that I used but being that you need to mount them to the outsid I would use the outer studs on the bumper brackets. You will need to get two M8 X 1.25 nuts for the studs.

Still working on this ABS plastic from a 3D printer.

Last edited by JimB.; 5/16/20 at 04:02 PM.
Old 5/16/20, 04:00 PM
GT Member

Carrol Shelby Racing sells brackets for this as they now offer a complete kit. A lot of money for two brackets and three SS screws. Not sure what they mount to. But the owner is a good guy and most likely tell you where they mount. Also
https://www.carrollshelbyracing.com/...Bracket.html#/
Old 5/17/20, 12:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hi Jim,
I saw your write up but decided on the Shelby bezels as I don't have a 3D printer. I also could not find any dimensions on the Starkey site for those fog lamps. I didn't want to purchase something and find out that it did not fit the Shelby bezels. Thank you for the information.
Old 5/17/20, 01:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hi houtex,
I'll have you know that I spent an entire afternoon reading your Change Chain thread and only got to the end of the 3/29/2020 post. It was a post by Jim B. in Yanni's Vector taillight thread that stated Shelby was making the bezels again. I have had a lot of fun in the past navigating through the Shelby America web site and not finding things so I used the URL he provided to order the bezels. Someone mentioned that SA was recommending the PIAA 530s with this bezel. In my dance through the SA website I didn't find either the bezel with lamps page or the bracket page. We had metal brakes in our electronics lab at work that I could have used to make those brackets in a heartbeat. Now that I'm retired I'll have to use my bench vise. The only thing that bothers me about that SA bezel and lamp kit is that they are using PIAA 510 SMR lamps. According to the PIAA web site, those lights are 3 15/16" in diameter while the bezel I received has an inside diameter of 3 13/16". I guess SA uses the "if it doesn't fit use a bigger hammer" method of assembly. Looks like I'll have to give them a call next week to get "in a moment... the rest of the story....". Thanks for the information houtex.

Last edited by Centurion96; 5/17/20 at 01:41 AM.
Old 5/17/20, 06:47 AM
GT Member

Hello Centurion,
I was not bashing your choices for this project. Just trying to show you how I hung the lights. I think that your choice on the 530 verses the 510 was a good one. I think that the 510 is way to big at just under 4 inches. Maybe it is a mistake on there web page. In January I spoke with Justin from Carrol Shelby Racing ( Not Shelby America ) he told me that they were working with the PIAA LP530. He is the owner of Carrol Shelby Racing and got back to me very quickly. The bracket shown in the link that Houtex posted is the bracket used in the original kit from Shelby America. It looks pretty cavemanish to me. You would think that Shelby America could have come up with something much nicer than that. Like I said just hang something from the bumper bolt and you should be good to go. I would email Carrol Shelby Racing and ask how there bracket works. It should be pretty easy to copy that. Here is a link to there contact form. It was under the more... button on there web page. Good luck.
The biggest problem that I had was getting the lights at the correct angle so that they would actualyl be useful.
https://www.carrollshelbyracing.com/contact.html#/

Last edited by JimB.; 5/17/20 at 06:55 AM.
Old 5/17/20, 03:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Centurion96
Hi houtex,
I'll have you know that I spent an entire afternoon reading your Change Chain thread and only got to the end of the 3/29/2020 post.
I'm so sorry for that. I'll make it up to you somehow.

It was a post by Jim B. in Yanni's Vector taillight thread that stated Shelby was making the bezels again.
Yeah, I found that out afterwards as well. I figured I'd just leave it anyway.
Old 5/18/20, 11:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hi Jim,
I know you were not bashing, I wanted a Torch Red California Special vert. back in 2006 when I ordered my 2007 but for some "to me unknown" reason Ford would not make one in that color. Torch Red was actually my second choice as I'm a U of F and FTU alum but could not stand the school bus yellow color that Ford called Grabber Orange. I would have gone for the Competition Orange. Well since my wife was an Ohio State alum and I had spent 17 years as a volunteer fire fighter, Torch Red was a natural second choice. A few years later I saw a TR GT with the GT/CS front and rear bumper skins and knew that was what I wanted. A couple of years ago I had to replace my cloth top and thought that would be an ideal time to upgrade the bumpers. Unfortunately, after I placed my order through Ford, I was told the aftermarket manufacturer was going to need several more orders to make a run. Seven months later my bumpers came in. Meanwhile I stopped in at Silverhorse Racing and talked with Marcello and found out he was making another run on his lower grille inserts for the GT/CS so I put my name on his list. I already had several of SHR items including the GT lower inserts so I knew the quality of his products was excellent. Of course by this time neither Shelby nor Agent47 were making brake ducts any more for the S197.

My confusion with the bezels stems from not knowing that there are multiple companies making Shelby products. In addition to Shelby America and Carrol Shelby Inc. I found out recently that Drake Industries makes several of the early Shelby wheels like the CS-66 and CS-67. I would go for either of these in 18X8.5 in either chrome or polished but they only come in black in that size. The American Racing "Shelby" VN427 wheels are just a wee bit out of my price range and they would be my fourth choice behind the 2007 GT500 wheels. With the popularity of the kit car Shelby Cobras manufacturers know they have a captive audience so they charge all that the market will bear.

Got a 3 1/2" hole saw yesterday so I'll either be out in the garage drilling holes in my bumper or trying to finish houtex's "Change Chain" thread as it is raining here today in "Sunny Florida".

Old 5/18/20, 11:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Just found a piece of 1/8" x 2" x 24" of aluminum stock in my garage that I can fashion some brackets out of.
Old 5/18/20, 12:16 PM
GT Member

Awesome. You are well on your way. You can do this and it will look great. Make sure to save the fake grill inserts from the bottom corners. As there are pretty expensive if you want actual Ford ones. Use plenty of tape around the area where you will be drilling and go slow. Good luck and post some pictures when you are done. If you have any other questions just ask and I will do my best to help you out.
Old 5/28/20, 03:57 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
Wow im glad I stumbled upon this thread. I bought lower fogs for the CS bumper I'm going to put on my car and was wondering how would I go about getting them installed. Looks like I too will have to fashion up some kind of bracket for the fogs cause there's no way I'm going to pay $75 usd for some metal and some screws. Talk about highway robbery.