05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Installing HID headlights and fogs right now...help please...

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/08, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Installing HID headlights and fogs right now...help please...

VVME...I understand how the headlight system should go together, but the foglights dont follow the same idea. There is no relay with them like the headlights, and with no relay comes no fuse wire to the battery. What do I do? Im sitting on the floor of my garage right now. lol

oh yes, Im also not fluent in Chinese.
Old 1/13/08, 08:49 PM

I read the other thread how to, but he had a V6 and only did the headlights. I have a GT and Im doing the headlights and foglights.

So looks like the foglight "original" extension plugs right into the socket, unlike the "need to be spliced" headlights. But it looks like it's going to draw its power directly from the car's lines...what's going to power the ballasts here? Do I need to tap into the headlight relay to get the function of the fuse relay on that, or will that be too much current going through the headlight relay fuse?
Old 1/14/08, 01:00 AM

Finished installing everything, finally. The first time I fired them up the passenger side lit up but not the driver side, figured it was bad ground, and the foglights didnt turn on either...1 out of 4 on, bad. So I disconnected everything, power wise, and re grounded it to the driver's side fender...reconncect lights and presto, both fired on, and holy crap reminds me of the HIDs on my '98 Cobra. but still the fogs dont turn on.

What the hell? I have the lights hooked up to the ballasts correctly, and the little plug goes into the foglight bulb plugs correctly, but they still dont turn on. I hear something click when I turn the fog light switch on, but they font fire up. Any ideas?
Old 1/14/08, 03:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

plug the connector in upside down. these kits are not built for our cars so they are reversed. trust me plug it in upside down it will fire up forsure. I dont mean the plug that goes into the ballast, but the other connector. It will fit just plug it in upside down and try it again. I had to do the same.
Old 1/14/08, 03:24 AM

I dont know how. See, I thought of that when I was sittin there and looked...but it seems to be directional. There is a groove on the underside and a tab on the top, of the car's plug, and the matching spots on the fog wires. It doesnt seem reversable, because if you flip it upside down, the plugs wont go in. Know what I mean? Have pics of yours?

Also...
Originally Posted by Clark Kent
trust me plug it in upside down it will fire up forsure.....I had to do the same.
check this out guys as im testing these lights and trying to get everything up and working the ballasts for the headlights blows and smoke starts coming out!!!!!!!!!!!!! **** VVME. I am going to tear them a new one
Is this what happened when you turned them upside down?
Old 1/14/08, 06:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

the ballast that blew had nothing to do with flipping the plugs. That ballast was on my headlights. I know the grooves seem like they will only match one way but if you flip it, it will still slide in. It is because the polarity is wonrg for our cars and by flipping the plug it corrects that. Well that is what you need to do in order to have that kit work on our fogs. I was just trying to help feel free to try it and have your lights work, but if your worried you can always do what you wish. good luck bro. O VVME sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 1/14/08, 07:40 AM

Dood, OMG! lol, I went out there to try this, sure it's not going to work, but giving you the benefit of the doubt I'll try it. So I open her up, take off the grille again, and look at the plug, no way in hell that's working, so I flip it ad try to put it in...nope, wont go in, so I figure maybe I can jimmy it in or something, nope...push super freaking hard...nothing. So I consider filing the litle tabs down, since Im gonna throw the **** kit away since it's worthless. Roll my eyes, look up and push it in blindly...it slides in. so I dont want to get my hopes up by doing both so I go hit the lights and BAMMO!!!!!! I flip the other one and BAMMO x 2. Turn the headlights on..... x 4

Holy crap that's alot of light. Need to take some more pics tonight, but even during the day these things are bright. Just like my last stangs HID setup.

Now let's see how long these last without burning out. This was way too much work for some **** lights. I wouldn't have ever thought to flip the dang things.

Thanks a million dude.
Old 1/14/08, 05:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

No problem bro. hahhahaha i know these lights are f***ed. I didnt have to file mines down though, but w/e works right lol. Plus i started filing me bulb fittings for ,my headlights when i realized it just need a bigger rubber washer to fit. Talk about plug and play hey lol. Which color temp did you get? Im running 8000k
Old 1/14/08, 10:43 PM

No problem bro. hahhahaha i know these lights are f***ed. I didnt have to file mines down though, but w/e works right lol. Plus i started filing me bulb fittings for ,my headlights when i realized it just need a bigger rubber washer to fit. Talk about plug and play hey lol. Which color temp did you get? Im running 8000k
6000k here, and it looks more blue the more I run it.
Old 1/15/08, 03:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

really you find yours getting more blue. Mines barely look blue to me. Maybe its just me. Ill take some pics maybe and we can compare
Old 1/15/08, 08:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw your thread. I went through that process of installing both a month ago and wrote this thread: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=74296

Glad to hear your kit is working. I had the plug going in the ballast upside down at first and that's why they wouldn't fire up at first. Reverse them but the plug tab would interfere with the ballast but after juggling with it, I realize it was the right way and tada ... it worked
Old 1/17/08, 04:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

he already got them working look a few posts up
Old 2/6/08, 03:26 PM

posted some pics in a new thread, just search my name for a list of created threads.