05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Hood Pin Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/09, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the Shelby Performance Billet/SS pins. Had the car to about 135 down the I-15 into Barstow heading to Vegas a few months ago, and the hood was SOLID.

I love them. I did it as follows, using the PDF instructions and images as a sanity check:

1) Open hood and prop up with standard rod. Removed the radiator cover. Didn't remove the grill.

2) Loosen and remove radiator support bolts (2) on each side.

3) Install metal brackets underneath radiator support brackets and re-install bolts snug.

4) Install hood pins into the brackets just snug on both sides, adjusted to medium height, the same on both sides.

5) Put a dab of peanut butter on the tip of each pin.

6) Slowly close hood and let tips of pins touch the underside of hood to mark where to drill pilot holes with dabs of peanut butter (This peanut butter idea came from another forum member... can't remember who, but thanks whoever you are!)

7) Open hood and prop up with standard rod. FULLY COVER ENGINE BAY WITH A SHEET OR TARP TO KEEP METAL FILINGS OUT OF ENGINE BAY. Sharpen your favorite center punch, and indent starter spots where you want the drill bit to start. Drill pilot holes with new, small high-speed 1/8" metal drill bit. Blow away any debris.

8) Slowly close hood and check small holes for alignment with pins. If they're not spot on, this will help you decide which way to force the next bigger bit to go when you drill the next version of the hole.

9) Open hood and prop up with standard rod. Redrill holes next with new, slightly bigger bit. I used 5/16" high-speed metal drill bit. Blow away any debris.

10) Slowly close hood and check medium holes for alignment with pins. If they're not spot on, this will help you decide which way to force the next bigger bit to go when you drill the next version of the hole.

11) Open hood and prop up with standard rod. Redrill holes next with new full size bit. I used 9/16" high-speed metal drill bit. Blow away any debris.

12) Slowly close hood and check 9/16" holes for alignment with pins. I had to re-align my final hole opening by drilling from the top of the hood at another angle to accomodate for the hood closing in an arc. I propped the hood up off the pins and latch with a block of wood to do this.

13) Once the hood holes are good and you can close the hood with the pins installed, align lynch pin holes across car with each other.

14) Close the hood, slide the hard plastic bushing plate and billet plate over the hood pin, and slide the lynch pin into the hood pin hole. Decide how much more to lower or raise the main pin so that the lynch pin fits snug, open the hood and do so, and repeat until the hood pins are at just the right height to provide a snug lynch pin fit.

15) Tighten pins to brackets.

16) Close the hood, slide the hard plastic bushing plate and billet plate over the hood pin, and slide the lynch pin into the hood pin hole.

17) Drill holes (4) in hood to mount assembly. Use a small new high-speed metal drill bit just smaller than the screw body diameter inside the threads. Blow away any debris.

18) Attach billet plates using supplied screws. Snugly tighten. Do not over-tighten as it will cause hood damage!

19) Attach lanyards wherever you want.

20) Cut out holes on each side of radiator cover for the hood pins.

21) Re-install radiator cover.

22) Close everything up, insert lynch pins, blow away any debris, clean up.

23) Go take her for a drive, and get the speed up there... Don't be shy. Enjoy the rock solid hood!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
billitpinsinstall.pdf (120.8 KB, 293 views)
Old 9/29/09, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's what they look like:
Attached Thumbnails Hood Pin Opinions-mustang-015.jpg   Hood Pin Opinions-mustang-017.jpg