05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Headers, axlebacks, x-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/06, 01:02 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm putting this topic in this category because I know what performance gains I will get, but I need to know if a setup like this will be illegal with the new noise laws here in California. I know I can get away with axlebacks alone with no problem. I am going to be getting the Bassani's and some JBA long-tube headers. Also a Bassini x-pipe. Is this whole setup legal in CA for emissions? Would I have to have certain things removed when I go for a test? This is a daily driver and I'm not sure if I will 100% do the headers and x-pipe, but for sure on the axlebacks. I'm just curious and intrigued at what the sound would be like.

Thanks.....................Richard
Old 2/27/06, 01:13 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seaclam @ February 27, 2006, 12:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm putting this topic in this category because I know what performance gains I will get, but I need to know if a setup like this will be illegal with the new noise laws here in California. I know I can get away with axlebacks alone with no problem. I am going to be getting the Bassani's and some JBA long-tube headers. Also a Bassini x-pipe. Is this whole setup legal in CA for emissions? Would I have to have certain things removed when I go for a test? This is a daily driver and I'm not sure if I will 100% do the headers and x-pipe, but for sure on the axlebacks. I'm just curious and intrigued at what the sound would be like.

Thanks.....................Richard
[/b][/quote]

Longtubes are illegal in California, no cat's are illegal in california, and no muflers are illegal in california. High flow cat's won't even pass emission's I think. Why don't you just go with the axleback's and a catted bassani x-pipe. If you didn't pass emissions you could just put the stock cat's back on. Also keep in mind that we don't even have to get smogged until 2011!
Old 3/1/06, 09:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have shorty JBA headers, bassani catted xpipe, and no mufflers. My dad followed me home from the repair shop yesterday and called me and said "how do you not get pulled over....I can't hear my radio when I am driving next to you...I would pull you over in a heart beat
. (He's an ex-cop).

I did run with out the cats for a while....but the car alarms I set off, combined with the old ladies falling done from heart attacks, and the fact that I was going deaf; made me put the hi flow cats on.

Long tubes will give you a slight more performance gain....not worth the $800 for LT's compared to $300 for shortys....but that's another arguement. IMO, do headers for sounds....and the shorty's will give you a great sound...combined with an O/R or catted xpipe.

In CA, ANY modification to your exhaust is deemed illegal..and is up to the officers descretion. So keep that in mind.