05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Got some HID's on the 05

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/07, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinb120
They are controlled by one of the stock headlight bulbs. So if DRL's simply turn on the stock headlight low beam bulb when started then it should work the same way. Its just the computer telling the lights to be on.
I thought that there is lower output for DRLs, i.e., lower light level tha low beams?
Old 6/19/07, 08:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If it does, then you are probably going to have problems.
Old 6/19/07, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

HIDs with DRLs

Did a search on this and found out that this is a problem. DRLs work on high beams with lower wattage. So with bi-zenon, the bulbs will flicker when in DRL mode and this will cause the bulbs to burn out. Apparently, one option is to disable the DRLs by pulling the fuse but not sure if there would be legal/insurance issues?

Interested in knowing of anyone with DRLs who converted to HIDs and their experience.
Old 6/19/07, 10:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by First Stang
Did a search on this and found out that this is a problem. DRLs work on high beams with lower wattage. So with bi-zenon, the bulbs will flicker when in DRL mode and this will cause the bulbs to burn out. Apparently, one option is to disable the DRLs by pulling the fuse but not sure if there would be legal/insurance issues?

Interested in knowing of anyone with DRLs who converted to HIDs and their experience.
Just install some interposing relays or intercept the DRL and power the bumper lights like GM does.
Old 6/19/07, 05:12 PM
V6 Member

Hmmmmmm

Originally Posted by gmichaelj1
Well, I ordered the Bi-4300s - $175 with shipping - going on your positive impressions Kevin.
I'm always nervous about ordering from "no-names" for both quality and legitimacy reasons. I ordered last Thursday and haven't heard "boo" on it being shipped. Maybe I'm just overly nervous.
Old 6/19/07, 07:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

I ordered from the ebay guy and got them from China in 4 business days(over a weekend). Did they give you a confirmation email or something? I would say give it a couple more days and then call em. You figure Thur it most likely never even went out until Monday. Other people got theirs from them directly so you should be fine.
Old 6/19/07, 07:57 PM
V6 Member

I ordered from the ebay guy and got them from China in 4 business days(over a weekend). Did they give you a confirmation email or something? I would say give it a couple more days and then call em. You figure Thur it most likely never even went out until Monday. Other people got theirs from them directly so you should be fine.
I'm sure you're right.
I did get a Paypal confirmation (the money is gone)
Its just that Walmart, Amazon, LandsEnd, etc. always give me an "it got shipped" within a few days.

I'm really looking forward to doing this. I hated that it wasn't an option when I ordered.
Old 6/22/07, 08:08 PM
V6 Member

Angry had to dispute it with paypal

unfortunately www.vvme.com hasn't sent my lights. Tried e-mailing twice and phoning once but no response.

So Paypal has a thing where you complain and the complaint goes away in 20 days unless you "ramp it up"

I'm hoping they'll just send the lights.

When I called, the message said they wouldn't talk to me - have to use e-mail - let's hope the hardware is better than the customer service.
Old 6/22/07, 09:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Odd that you can just get them from the China dood faster
Old 6/23/07, 05:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by gmichaelj1
unfortunately www.vvme.com hasn't sent my lights. Tried e-mailing twice and phoning once but no response.

So Paypal has a thing where you complain and the complaint goes away in 20 days unless you "ramp it up"

I'm hoping they'll just send the lights.

When I called, the message said they wouldn't talk to me - have to use e-mail - let's hope the hardware is better than the customer service.
Mike I think it will all work out. I ordered two sets of lights from VVME and it all worked out very well. Others I know who have used VVME also have had good experiences. I know with one of my orders it was very very fast while the other took twice the time. But both times worked out fine.

Hang in there I'm sure you will see the lights soon.
Old 6/23/07, 07:36 AM
V6 Member

So is this the kit y'all are going with from vvme? http://www.vvme.com/product/detail-20022.html

It says its completely plug and play...is that true? I dont want to cut into any wiring harness incase I need to take the stang in for warranty work.

*edit* Oh yea, so whats the difference b/w the 05 and 07 housing then? How does this kit compare to the Saleen solution? TIA
Old 6/23/07, 08:04 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 66COUP
So is this the kit y'all are going with from vvme? http://www.vvme.com/product/detail-20022.html

It says its completely plug and play...is that true? I dont want to cut into any wiring harness incase I need to take the stang in for warranty work.

*edit* Oh yea, so whats the difference b/w the 05 and 07 housing then? How does this kit compare to the Saleen solution? TIA
Looks right to me although I haven't ordered one yet for my 07 GT I have them installed in my 01 4Runner and 06 Civic. And so far the 2 kits I had were total plug and play, no wire cutting at all. It was also an easy install, took the most time figuring out where to mount the ballast/igniters
Old 6/23/07, 09:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 66COUP

07's had the bulb reflector removed. Its pretty much the same idea as the Saleens, havent noticed any burning through my reflector yet though... It is plug and play per se. The only thing that does not plug directly in is the hi-low controller does not fit the bulb plug properly. You can cut off the kit's plug and use quick taps into the passenger bulb wires instead of splicing. In that long post last page I listed what colors connect to what. I had a brain fart and cut my bulb connector off. its only a matter of splicing 3 wires together again, so it would only take me 5 minutes to return it to stock.
Old 6/24/07, 06:57 PM
V6 Member

Well, wouldn't you know the lights came after all. I'll install them sometime this week. Before I do, I will try to take some pictures of the car's illumination of street scenes with stock headlights. Then go back and do "after" shots.

Anyone else who has ordered this product: Have you ever smelled anything like this? It had sort of a chemical and fish smell to it. I'd hate to be working anywhere near the production area - can't be healthy.
Old 6/25/07, 08:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

They smell a little funky out of the box. Not sure if its the rubber or parts of the balasts. I have had other electronic components that smell like that.
Old 6/27/07, 06:30 PM
V6 Member

correct wiring

They smell a little funky out of the box. Not sure if its the rubber or parts of the balasts. I have had other electronic components that smell like that.

Hey kevin, I PM'd you this question, but for anyone else who has the vvme system, what is the correct wiring? I tried looking at another thread with pictures but apparently have incorrectly wired it. High beams are low and Low beams are high. And the darn thing whines when its on.

Any ideas?

Edit: Well, fooled around with it and now the GT (or GD!?) fogs don't work, unless the ignition is on. Was this true before ? Or is it wired wrong???

Thanks
Old 6/27/07, 09:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

The balasts make noise when they are on, all HID's do that(you can only hear them with the engine off-most OEM hids will not light with the engine off). I may of gotten the colors backwards in my description. I'll check em out. I hooked them up quite a few ways so its no biggie of you try everything(if the color wires are different then mine)...

dis be dem:

black/blue
green/white
red/yellow

Using the passenger headlight. I was convinced the white was ground so I was afraid to hook it up at first. I don't think the OEM fogs come on with the ignition off on any car.
Old 6/28/07, 05:22 AM
V6 Member

Thanks Kevin. I haven't downloaded the pictures (just 4) from my camera to my computer yet,

but for those following this thread, the lights are better.

Nevertheless, I cannot recommend vvme as a source:
the customer service is non-existent, (reason enough)
the instructions are poor;
the hardware is incomplete; and most d***ing,
the hardware is marginal quality.

7-21-07 I have rethought this (about buying from vvme) and although I still wasn't happy with customer experience, considering the price ($175 T-total) and the fact that they have performed well since I installed them, I think they are worth considering.
Old 6/29/07, 01:36 PM
V6 Member

Here are pics showing halogen vs. HIDs (I think this sorta clears up any halogen vs. HID questions)
Attached Thumbnails Got some HID's on the 05-low-halogens-distance.jpg   Got some HID's on the 05-low-hids-distance.jpg   Got some HID's on the 05-low-halogens-targets.jpg   Got some HID's on the 05-low-hids-targets.jpg  
Old 6/29/07, 01:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Heh, same problem I had with pics. The hids will light up reflective signs over 1/4 mile away. The ebay guy from China was very fast sending them. The only problem I had was the connector didn't fit, after I figured out the wiring(because the instruction's colors are wrong) its been fine.

Quick Reply: Got some HID's on the 05