05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Glass Roof vs Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/05, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[attachmentid=35481]Ok, been lovin' the new car since Friday. I now REALLY love the color. Didn't think Perf White would be so great when I ordered it, but I wanted white w/blue stripes after seeing several on this site (namely Peter1966's).

Now my thinking is so-so on the stripes, still love them, but maybe not. (I'm still doing the blue/white leather interior.) So I start to think today, the paint job and the CDC glass roof is about the same price, Hummmmmmm. Maybe I'll get the glass roof instead of stripes. Any thoughts????????
Old 10/3/05, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's a pix of the glass roof
Old 10/3/05, 06:43 PM
Cobra Member

Maybe do black stripes over the glass using limo tint on the glass itself? Sounds goofy, but it might be pretty cool. Photoshop monkeys, do your thing.
Old 10/3/05, 06:47 PM
GT Member

I would need to know more about the roof - does it add a lot of weight, body roll, etc and how durable is it - it would suck if your nice blue/white interior got wet b/c the roof did not seal/fit right.

but those concerns aside, i do think the glass roof looks sweet...
Old 10/3/05, 07:12 PM
GT Member

I think blue stripes on white is awsome looking. I wouldn't trust the top for another year or so. Needs more time in the field. IMO
Old 10/4/05, 01:46 PM
GT Member

The first post seems to imply that we know some kind of pricing for the glassback roof, but all I find on the CDC webpage is TBD. I am also on their mailing list, and have never received information about the glassback being available. I have certainly wanted that roof (also on my performance white) for about as long as I've had the car. I have the same concerns about body roll, durability, etc. that everyone has had, and I wonder if perhaps that's why it hasn't been released yet.

So does anyone have any information on this roof that I don't know about?

As for the stripes vs. glassback, wouldn't stripes still look good even with the glassback roof? You'd still have your stripes on the front, rear, hood and decklid, and I personally think that those are the places where you're most likely to have them seen anyways. Of course, you might wait until you have the glassback to have the stripes done, or perhaps do them in vinyl, because it would be a pity to paint the roof and then replace it with the glass one later, but it would look strange to not have a glass roof and have it unstriped like the rest of the car.
Old 10/4/05, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dan, my retailer has yet to confirm the availablity of the CDC glass roof. They did the original red car, and it's now doing the show circuit. I just lft him a msg, I'll let you know what I find out. I think he said it was going to be around 2K.......
Old 10/4/05, 06:56 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank You nole_trainer!!!...but my stripes are vinyl from 3M and don't cost you 2K!!!
Old 10/4/05, 07:12 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
currently there is no pricing info from CDC on the glassback roof. Simply put, it is not available yet. Anyway, I am sure it will cost you a lot more than the price of painting stripes. After all, you will get the price for the roof, and then need to get a rough estimate on how much to have it installed.
Old 10/4/05, 09:48 PM
Bullitt Member

From what CDC has told me...the roof will have to be sealed in like a windshield. there are no supports in the roof area that it covers, so its just cutting the skin off and sealing the new roof in.I should hopefully have more info next week.I do know they will be available very soon. but may only be sold through dealers that can install them.....
Old 10/5/05, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

I talked to my installer yesterday afternoon, he is expecting the roof any day now. We will see. He has yet to receive any official pricing, but he said he would give it to me for cost if I would be the first one. Don't know about being the test ginnie pig!! They are going to be "certified" by CDC to install, and they already have a great working relationship with CDC.

Peter, amen brother - I might go vinyl afterall. I still love your car, and loving mine finally!!!!!
Old 10/7/05, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

wow.......you gotta post a lot of pics with the glass roof installed....I thought that was a great item to install
Old 10/7/05, 03:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Agreed Dave,

I am still on the fence on whether or not I want to install the glass roof in my car when I get it next summer. I really love the look of the coupe but sometimes miss my vert. It would give me somewhat of a crossover with the glass roof. I was told by CDC that it actually improves the stiffness of the car as they just cut out the sheet metal and the roof is more solid in between the frame.