05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Finally got some fanblades and BFG kdw's on my '05

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/06, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got some fanblades and BFG kdw's on my '05

I've had my '05 Mustang GT since October 2004. I've enjoyed every minute with this car, but have always thought that the car needed some more aggressive tires and wheels.

I always wanted to replicate the pre-production Mustang from the '04 auto show circuit with the 18" fanblades and 255/45/18 BF Goodrich kdw tires.

I waited until my tires had enough treadwear to justify buying new tires. My car now has 24,000 miles on it, so I decided to buy a set of fanblades (a slightly used set off of Ebay) and the aforementioned tires.

I can't believe how much better the car looks, and handles. It is much more aggressive looking, and the width of the 255's is perfect. This thread is probably old news for those of you with 2006's and 18" wheels, but I though I'd share anyways.
Attached Thumbnails Finally got some fanblades and BFG kdw's on my '05-stang-1.jpg   Finally got some fanblades and BFG kdw's on my '05-stang-5.jpg   Finally got some fanblades and BFG kdw's on my '05-stang-9.jpg   Finally got some fanblades and BFG kdw's on my '05-stang-10.jpg   Finally got some fanblades and BFG kdw's on my '05-stang-8.jpg  

Finally got some fanblades and BFG kdw's on my '05-stang-6.jpg   Finally got some fanblades and BFG kdw's on my '05-stang-7.jpg   Finally got some fanblades and BFG kdw's on my '05-stang-4.jpg   Finally got some fanblades and BFG kdw's on my '05-stang.jpg  
Old 6/6/06, 08:22 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They're good looking wheels on a Redfire!!! I've been looking @ fan blades for mine too, but with just 8k miles on em I can't justify it.
Old 6/6/06, 08:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool. I still have the 17" upgrade thats avail on the V6 now.
Old 6/6/06, 09:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for posting, I'm digging those pics. I think there is a small handful of us on here who are after that pre-production look with the KDW's. I can't believe Ford didn't do this this size stock, or at least offer it as an option. I'm still about another year out before I justify getting new shoes, but your pics will help tide me over.

Also - if you're really after the pre-prod look, it seems mild lowering and spacers are also on the bill...
Old 6/6/06, 10:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
DOn't you have to reflash with the wheel size change for the speedo to be correct?
Old 6/6/06, 11:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Paris MkVI
DOn't you have to reflash with the wheel size change for the speedo to be correct?
No the size of tire he has is a direct replacement.
Instead of 235/55
He has 255/45.

The wheel height is the same. Since wider tires are proportionatly taller. So if you had 255/55...they would be too big. Then you would need to reflash the PCM.
Old 6/7/06, 03:08 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BuzzyStang05
Thanks for posting, I'm digging those pics. I think there is a small handful of us on here who are after that pre-production look with the KDW's. I can't believe Ford didn't do this this size stock, or at least offer it as an option. I'm still about another year out before I justify getting new shoes, but your pics will help tide me over.

Also - if you're really after the pre-prod look, it seems mild lowering and spacers are also on the bill...
Yeah, I'm one of that "small handful." And I agree that one has to lower the car and put on some spacers to truly duplicate the look (minus the chromed fanblades, of course).
Old 6/7/06, 08:47 AM

Love the look -- lean, clean, mean -- the Fanblades, I think, are great for the Mustang, evoking a bit of some '60's era Shelby wheels for a retro touch without looking so literal and dated (and common) as the Bullitts. Like the spoilerless look too as the Stang has such inately great lines and proportions that only suffers from tack-on adornments like the factory spoiler.
Old 6/7/06, 09:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Yeah, I'm one of that "small handful." And I agree that one has to lower the car and put on some spacers to truly duplicate the look (minus the chromed fanblades, of course).
I agree. I'm thinking of looking into some spacers, though I'm not planning on lowering the car; I don't want to change the ride quality.
Old 6/7/06, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Love the look -- lean, clean, mean -- the Fanblades, I think, are great for the Mustang, evoking a bit of some '60's era Shelby wheels for a retro touch without looking so literal and dated (and common) as the Bullitts. Like the spoilerless look too as the Stang has such inately great lines and proportions that only suffers from tack-on adornments like the factory spoiler.
Thanks rhumb. Similar to you, I have always liked the clean lines of this car without any scoops or spoilers. That's just my personal preference. The fanblades, imo, are the perfect compliment for this car, and were an eventual must have for me. Though I do like the 18" bullitts that Ford offers, just not as much as fanblades.
Old 6/7/06, 10:26 AM
Cobra Member

Looks great, time for some springs!

But the pics are horribly over exposed
Old 6/7/06, 03:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by CA Stang
I agree. I'm thinking of looking into some spacers, though I'm not planning on lowering the car; I don't want to change the ride quality.
I'm a tad worried about ride quality w/ springs, also, but I think the minimal drop of the H&R's won't do too much. Did you notice any changes in ride quality or road noise with the KDW's?

Until I get the tires on myself I won't know for sure, but I'm thinking 15-20mm on the spacers would do the trick. 25mm is more common on the market, but I think that would start to make it look a little ghetto with the tread starting to stick out of the top of the wheel well...
Old 6/7/06, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BuzzyStang05
I'm a tad worried about ride quality w/ springs, also, but I think the minimal drop of the H&R's won't do too much. Did you notice any changes in ride quality or road noise with the KDW's?

Until I get the tires on myself I won't know for sure, but I'm thinking 15-20mm on the spacers would do the trick. 25mm is more common on the market, but I think that would start to make it look a little ghetto with the tread starting to stick out of the top of the wheel well...
Not much of a difference in ride quality, but the kdws do give off a bit of a highway humming noise. Its not too bad overall though.
Old 6/7/06, 10:15 PM
FR500 Member

i fell in love with those back in 04
Old 6/8/06, 02:32 PM
GT Member

I have the 18 fans and I want to sell the tires and upgrade to the new KDW2s. I have about 2700 miles on them since I bought her in Oct 05.

Any takers?