05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/05, 01:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GATORBAIT9696@December 3, 2005, 5:40 AM
I will be taking mine in soon for her first check up, I am interested if they can be turned on from the SJB (ins disc). A little off topic but KC can the '06 explorer nav system fit in the Mustang? Thanks
Bump - for the SJB DRL and the nav question.
Old 12/31/05, 06:44 AM
Bullitt Member

bump- Any luck with DRL's? Taking her in next month.
Old 1/30/06, 03:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Bump. taking her in Wed?
Old 1/30/06, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Canada it used to be the law that there just had to be some form of DRLs. Carmakers began to use the parking lights as DRLs. Now, Im pretty sure with all new cars it is a law that the headlights act as DRLs. Also, for Canadians, driving without DRLs is illegal, as all cars manufacted after 1990 or something like that must have them.

Personally I think the mustangs, along with all cars in the states should have them. It is inexpensive, saves people on insurance, and makes it safer in all weather conditions. Specially when its low visibilty and people don't think they should turn on thier headlights. Its too bad that there are no automatic headlights, those would be a nice feature.
Old 1/31/06, 09:05 PM
V6 Member

I live in San Diego and had a problem where my lights wouldn't shut off even after removing the key. Took it in and was informed that my box was bad and had to be replaced. At that time they were on national back order, finally got one and when my car was ready I had Daytime running lights. Don't know if I got a Canadian box or what but there is an on/off feature for the DRL's. The DRL's are actually dimmer than the normal lights and turn off when the E-brake is engaged.
Old 1/31/06, 09:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Usually people are trying to DISABLE the DRLs...what gives?
Old 1/31/06, 09:17 PM
V6 Member

I kind of like them, they are somewhat unique in the States
Old 2/1/06, 03:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 06GT@February 1, 2006, 12:13 AM
Usually people are trying to DISABLE the DRLs...what gives?

ins discount
Old 2/1/06, 05:12 AM
V6 Member

Just went to Web Electric out of curiousity, in San Diego it is a ticketable offense to run your turn signals lights on in the daytime (what they refer to as DRL's) or least that was what a cop told me when he pulled me over when I had mine on in my 90 5.0
Old 2/1/06, 01:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I just added the Webelectric DRL module to my '05 vert. Very satisfied with the results

Install was not bad. Everything could be hooked up right at the underhood junction box. The worst part was locating the correct wires in the tightly packed harnesses, and getting the quick splices on the ones requiring them. Just takes a bit of extra effort, but install overall was quite easy.

Around here (Boston) we have far more than our share of careless and/or agressive drivers. The DRL's give me a touch more piece of mind, and I think they look pretty cool too

[attachmentid=44294]
Old 2/2/06, 06:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danalor @ February 1, 2006, 7:15 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Just went to Web Electric out of curiousity, in San Diego it is a ticketable offense to run your turn signals lights on in the daytime (what they refer to as DRL's) or least that was what a cop told me when he pulled me over when I had mine on in my 90 5.0
[/b][/quote]

I think that cop must be on something. If that were true, GM vehicles would be getting tickets left and right. GM has used the turn signal/parking light as the DRL for ages. My dads Buick has em. Vettes have em. Camaros have em. Etc. Maybe he thought you were driving with just your parking lights on, which in some states is against the law. Do an online search of California/San Diego legislation. If nothing else, it would kill a few hours. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/2/06, 06:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2k5GTC @ February 2, 2006, 8:13 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think that cop must be on something. If that were true, GM vehicles would be getting tickets left and right. GM has used the turn signal/parking light as the DRL for ages. My dads Buick has em. Vettes have em. Camaros have em. Etc. Maybe he thought you were driving with just your parking lights on, which in some states is against the law. Do an online search of California/San Diego legislation. If nothing else, it would kill a few hours. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Federal law supercedes local law, and the feds specifically allow the use of the turn signals this way (and have since 1995). That officer is misinformed.
Old 4/22/06, 04:31 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05stangkc @ November 16, 2005, 5:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The Daytime Running Lights Feature should Be present in All 05/06 Mustangs. As Far as I can Tell it is either ENABLED or DISABLED from the Farctory. Next time My Car is in For Service I will Have Service attempt this. It is Progammed via the SJB or Smart Junction Box. I fully expect most Dealers to say it can't be done. Just Like the Mycolor Retrofit. I will Post when and If it's succesful. Meanwhile if TIBERIOUS is out there He may beat me to the Test.

kc

BTW Thanks to Adrenalin for his Canadian Vin Which helped me find the Info!
[/b][/quote]

kc,

Where you (or the Service guys) able to activate the DRL function from the SJB and was the procedure defined in the service manuals?

Or does it require a new DRL module as in some of the other cars.
Old 4/23/06, 06:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

I switched my Canadian DRL's to webelectronic's system .It makes my car more unique than the others I see . First you have to disable the factory DRL's by using a US vin number to get the proper code. This can be done by "borrowing"one from someone on the forums or from the inventory of aUS dealer ( Ford dealer search). After that the webelectronics is a simple installation (great instructions in the kit). Remember it is against the law not to have DRL's in Canada so I am not advocating eliminating them , but changing how they are provided. Many Chrysler and GM models use amber lights of some sort rather than the half strength headlight kind.
Old 4/27/06, 10:56 AM
V6 Member

anyone know if you install the webelectric drl's can you turn them off if you choose not to have them on.

when you are speeding the cop sees your car first screaming down the hwy.
Old 4/27/06, 10:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the WebElectric DRL's, I don't believe they can be turned off. I like them gives my car just that extra bit of uniqueness (is that a word) from the other GT's in town.
Old 4/28/06, 04:55 AM
Former Vendor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lmmmmm @ April 27, 2006, 12:59 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
anyone know if you install the webelectric drl's can you turn them off if you choose not to have them on.

when you are speeding the cop sees your car first screaming down the hwy.
[/b][/quote]

I don't condone speeding, but you can turn off the DRLs anytime by inserting an ON/OFF switch in line with the yellow power wire. If you want to turn off the DRLs, turn the switch off, otherwise, leave the switch on.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Lawrence