05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

The Dark Knight II MARK 2 - mods/upgrades - hood,

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/05, 07:16 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Treadhead@July 18, 2005, 6:12 PM
Dave- Your car is absolutely beautiful! I love that hood too. Be sure and post pics when the ducktail and springs are done.

Red Raider- Unless something changed in the last year those covers are illegal for street use. There was a news story a couple years ago about Arlington PD pulling over everybody and their brother driving with them on.
Thanks Jimmy! And YEAH - addressing Rich's observations - that is exactly why I won't go further and tint out the turn signals and third brake light and all that - I am already riding the edge as it is, especially down here in FL - I used to have front and back black outs on my 88 and did get hassled once by a cop who pulled me over and gave me guff about them. The one thing about this body style and having a BLACK car is that with the front headlight covers on, with the foglights so big and prominant, if you glance at the car and don't know the specifics of the 05, you might think the foglights are the headlights as the headlights sections literally disapear.... with all the black. Also why I installed the NOkya bulbs to compensate for the darker tint of the covers. Best thing about the covers front and back is that they come off in about 8 seconds flat. Just unclip and they are off.

As for the LUND lettering on the headlight covers Rich.... it is NOT like the tails where you can peel off the GTO label... these are actually like painted on to the covers - trust me I tried to get them off but didn't want to mess up the covers..... they are ON there....

And I have wanted the Redline struts for the hood since I first saw them - but I asked MO from RK Sport about them when I was going to order the hood and he said that using them with a fiberglass hood is dicey (or soemthing like that). So I dropped that idea. If someone DOES it though and makes it work I will reconsider.

Someone earlier had asked about water and debris with this hood - I have ONLY had this hood on for maybe four days - but what I can say is that the vents seem to maintain the angle of the hood so water doesn't seem, to have an easy channel to follow in to the interior of the hood - I'll have to see what happens when driving in regular rain though - then again, Mach 1s with their shakers drive around in the rain so....

As for debris, the metal grill work seems dense and sturdy enough to keep any troublesome debris out of the air channels.....
Old 7/18/05, 07:29 PM
Cobra Member

1st class job!!! looks awesome!!!! :worship:
Old 7/18/05, 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That car is hot! The language filters will not let me express how much I dig your ride.
Old 7/18/05, 07:57 PM
Cobra Member

i watched the video that Stirling captured, unfortunatly there is no sound and no zoom so it loses you guys.
Old 7/18/05, 08:04 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by kevinv-6@July 18, 2005, 8:00 PM
i watched the video that Stirling captured, unfortunatly there is no sound and no zoom so it loses you guys.
:bang: :bang: :bang:

Oh well - we'll see what Ed and Tina got.....
Old 7/18/05, 08:07 PM
Cobra Member

oh yeah i completly forgot about them filming!!
dooode Cher is still so stoked she smoked me she was even bragging to her work today!!!!
still gotta give big props to Ed and Tina for helping us out!!
and now i cant wait to see Bullitt run again
Old 7/18/05, 08:44 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by kevinv-6@July 18, 2005, 8:10 PM
oh yeah i completly forgot about them filming!!
dooode Cher is still so stoked she smoked me she was even bragging to her work today!!!!
still gotta give big props to Ed and Tina for helping us out!!
and now i cant wait to see Bullitt run again

Dude - there is a NASCAR related Ft Laud Mustang CLub event in Nov and Las Olas Riverfront - all day event - sounds sweet! Might take the day off from work - also the day before is the Innovation drive in Homestead - wanna go drive an 06??...
Old 7/18/05, 10:56 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Treadhead@July 18, 2005, 6:12 PM
Dave- Your car is absolutely beautiful! I love that hood too. Be sure and post pics when the ducktail and springs are done.

Red Raider- Unless something changed in the last year those covers are illegal for street use. There was a news story a couple years ago about Arlington PD pulling over everybody and their brother driving with them on.
Glad to know that, dunno how cops around here would take it, but I'll def on use them for the day time look....awwww, black shimmering in the hot, gleaming Texas sun....how beautiful!
Old 7/18/05, 11:28 PM
FR500 Member

Your car looks wonderful and with street tires in the heat, the track times
Old 7/18/05, 11:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

The ride came out real nice Dave...I can only hope my '05 will be as nice keep it up man
Old 7/19/05, 12:01 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally posted by Burke0011@July 18, 2005, 7:19 PM
Thanks Jimmy! And YEAH - addressing Rich's observations - that is exactly why I won't go further and tint out the turn signals and third brake light and all that - I am already riding the edge as it is, especially down here in FL - I used to have front and back black outs on my 88 and did get hassled once by a cop who pulled me over and gave me guff about them. The one thing about this body style and having a BLACK car is that with the front headlight covers on, with the foglights so big and prominant, if you glance at the car and don't know the specifics of the 05, you might think the foglights are the headlights as the headlights sections literally disapear.... with all the black. Also why I installed the NOkya bulbs to compensate for the darker tint of the covers. Best thing about the covers front and back is that they come off in about 8 seconds flat. Just unclip and they are off.

As for the LUND lettering on the headlight covers Rich.... it is NOT like the tails where you can peel off the GTO label... these are actually like painted on to the covers - trust me I tried to get them off but didn't want to mess up the covers..... they are ON there....

And I have wanted the Redline struts for the hood since I first saw them - but I asked MO from RK Sport about them when I was going to order the hood and he said that using them with a fiberglass hood is dicey (or soemthing like that). So I dropped that idea. If someone DOES it though and makes it work I will reconsider.

Someone earlier had asked about water and debris with this hood - I have ONLY had this hood on for maybe four days - but what I can say is that the vents seem to maintain the angle of the hood so water doesn't seem, to have an easy channel to follow in to the interior of the hood - I'll have to see what happens when driving in regular rain though - then again, Mach 1s with their shakers drive around in the rain so....

As for debris, the metal grill work seems dense and sturdy enough to keep any troublesome debris out of the air channels.....

Bummer...I have black out lenses on my headlights on my 98, but those had decals on it and the logos werent painted on, that stinks about it being dicey with the fiberglass, I was wondering that myself, I hope someone finds out soon....but as for being all blacked out and being against the law I figured heck might as well make it all or nothing, since out here its illegal to do anything to your lights. still looks really good though
Old 7/19/05, 07:32 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Awesome job Dave, it looks great!!

Old 7/19/05, 10:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Dave your car is great! You are doing what I want to do with mine ... when I get it. I loved my 99 black Stang and want to have another black one with the lights blacked out.

You are killing me!!

Keep it up!!
Old 7/19/05, 10:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Quick question about the covers for those of you in the know....

If you have the lights sprayed on with one of those professional tint companys are those illegal as well? They advertise that it does not diminish the brightness of the lights at all.

... but that is advertisement.

Just curious about that.
Old 7/19/05, 11:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Qestion regarding Powerslot Rotors-

How hard were they to install? I have been considering these for a while. Also, where did you order them from and how much? thanks man.
Old 7/19/05, 02:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

They should contact you for the new Knight Rider movie they are making.
I think your car would make the perfect update for KITT.
Old 7/19/05, 04:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Burke0011@July 18, 2005, 9:47 PM
Dude - there is a NASCAR related Ft Laud Mustang CLub event in Nov and Las Olas Riverfront - all day event - sounds sweet! Might take the day off from work - also the day before is the Innovation drive in Homestead - wanna go drive an 06??...
what are you trying to get me to buy another Mustang? well Austin will be driving soon :scratch:
Old 7/19/05, 04:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MilStang@July 19, 2005, 10:41 AM
Quick question about the covers for those of you in the know....

If you have the lights sprayed on with one of those professional tint companys are those illegal as well? They advertise that it does not diminish the brightness of the lights at all.

... but that is advertisement.

Just curious about that.
Not too sure about this one. I've never seen or heard of this but, I don't know how you can tint something and not have it affect the brightness. If someone knows how that works please post it. Like always it will be the officers discretion to write a citation.
Old 7/19/05, 06:42 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by 169stang@July 18, 2005, 11:06 AM
I, personally, am not really into asthetics so much. I just want to thank you for having your car at the show and filling my wife's head with all kinds of ideas on asthetics for the car. Your car does look awesome! I didn't notice the dream hood with it being up. I wish I had. I've been wanting to look one over up close. I'll have to catch you around town. I probably walked by you a dozen times and didn't know it. I had mine parked and cooling off on the other side of the mobile dyno while we looked at cars. You definately had the best looking 05 there. Not that I don't like Kevin's. I just like the combinations and the color better. My wife said she would have picked black if we won that raffle for the 05. The show wasn't that big due to 3 reasons: 1. 1st year 2. not enough advertisement 3. It was a reschedule due to the 1st one being rained out. It'll be pretty good next year. The air felt like 100 degrees, but I think your brother is on the mark with the track temp being 120+. Sorry I missed catching up with you guys.

Yeah yeah you can blame me Dave for influencing the wife - yeah sorry we missed each other. We will definitely catch up around town - or at least at the next car show- now that my brother is with the Ft Laud Mustang club and I think I am joining, I was getting the line on a lot of shows and upcoming cool stuff - I will keep you in the loop.

And Ian - aaaaactually I do have an old roomie from college who lives in Nawlins..... been there once already (though I didn't drive). You know like a year from now, we need to plan with Brad - pick a place that might be convenient for the most amount of folks and have the first annual National Source Gathering - can you imagine after looking at all these sweet cars on the web for so long and then being able to line them up in person? Can you imagine the line of beautiful 05s we would have!?!?! I dare say that would be a monumental gathering if we could pull it off!
Old 7/19/05, 09:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Like what you have done Dave!

Good 1/4 mile times; right where I wanna be... My best outta 2 tries is 13.96`

Quick Reply: The Dark Knight II MARK 2 - mods/upgrades - hood,