05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Cleaning prior to stripes ??

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/07, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning prior to stripes ??

Wanting some thoughts on doing a bit more detail prior to installing vynil stripes.

Bought my car new back in August. At that time I washed, clay barred, polished, cleaned, then NXT wax. Have washed every week since then and ended the wash with quick detailer. Put on one more coat of wax about a month ago.

Think it would be a good thing to strip it, clay bar, and polish prior to installing the stripes?? If so, would you also wax it, then use alcohol on the area where the stripes will be applied, or just wait until after the stripes are on to add the wax?

Wanting to do the prep today and add the stripes tomorrow. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!! I'll get pics as I go.
Old 5/5/07, 01:55 PM

Guess I was in a bigger hurry to start the work than wait for a response, lol.

Went to the car wash, sprayed it off, and dried it. Grabbed my Meg's Cleaner Wax, and got to work. Was only going to do the hood, roof, trunk, and bumpers. But said what the heck and tackled the sides too.

Forgot how little manual labor I do sitting behind a desk. (Note to self: 'Manual Labor' is NOT the president of Mexico.) That kicked my butt! Gonna rest my 'wax on' arm a bit and then start in on the Meg's Polish. Would like to get the side stripes on and do the layout and marking for the rally stripes today.

Hopefully I'll be up early tomorrow and be well rested to take my time and patiently apply the rally stripes. Then put a good coat of NXT on the car to really get the contrast to show between the new Black stripes and White car.
Old 5/5/07, 02:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will need all the time you can devote here, this may or may not a be a cake walk for you. It all depends on the quality and vinyl you have there.
Old 5/5/07, 02:33 PM
V6 Member

DO NOT WAX the car! The stripes will not stay. Clay bar and polish the car, then use isoprophyl alcohol to wipe the area down before applying your stripes. Wait a month before waxing and use a non-whitening wax (nanowax works great) or you will have wax build up at the edges of your stripe. Good luck with the install
Old 5/5/07, 05:37 PM

They vynil is 3M from Baltimore Street Mods.

Stangfx....
Why the month wait before waxing?? Appreciate the info, just would like to know why, so I know how concerned to be with any overspray from the wax. And as far as the non-whitening wax...my car is white, think that will hide it?

Is there any specific product for maintaining the vynil stipes?

Well, just finished polishing, darn wind started blowing and was drying faster than I could get it off. Made it a tuff job!

Thanks guys for the comments!!
Old 5/5/07, 10:52 PM
GT Member

cleaning stripes

last year at Mustang Week in Myrtle beach one of the guys from baltimore street mods told me they use fantastic 4 with citrus, or any other similar cleaner.