05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Can Someone Explain The Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/06, 12:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can someone explain the difference between chrome and polished wheels? They don't look that much different in pictures that I see on the internet. Which has the most upkeep and what are the downsides to each finish?

Maybe anyone who has chrome or polished could post pictures for me?

Thanks~
Old 2/5/06, 01:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chrome looks more like a mirror while polished is just a shiny metal look. In the right lighting they'll look very similar, but under dynamic lighting the chrome will appear to reflect the surrounding colors.
Old 2/5/06, 01:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry no pics, but here's a verbal description:

Chrome: Mirror like finish, relatively easy to maintain and keep clean. Impossible to do spot repairs if you nick it on a curb or with a lug wrench - either live with it or get the whole wheel replated [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Polished: Close to mirror, but not quite (although it is possible to mimic chrome - I have a Ford Racing oil cap that's polished aluminum and it's AMAZING). If they're not clear coated, can be more involved to maintain. I had polished/non coated wheels on my 96GT. At least 3X/year I'd break out the drill and buffing wheel with polishing compound and hit them all. Made a huge difference. Spot repairs are possible if the gouge/nick isn't too deep. I went with polished wheels because I knew there'd come a day when I'd nick a curb. Sho 'nuff, leaving the bank drive through one day I nicked the right rear. Made me sick to my stomach, but it wasn't too bad. If it was a chrome wheel, I would have needed the tire to be removed and the whole wheel replated, or live with it and risk it peeling/chipping and rusting.

Spin the Wheel Of Destiny and take your pick [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/5/06, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Enfynet @ February 5, 2006, 3:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Chrome looks more like a mirror while polished is just a shiny metal look. In the right lighting they'll look very similar, but under dynamic lighting the chrome will appear to reflect the surrounding colors.
[/b][/quote]

I have chromed wheels now. Had polised (un coated) on my previous vehicle. Chrome is extremly easy to clean. the polished are always needing a good buffing.

[attachmentid=44544]
Old 2/5/06, 07:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrome is okay, but like they say if it gets damaged, its there for good. If you live in an area where its salty or salt is used on the roads to deal with icing the chrome plating is vulnerable to corrosion, especially if it has been nicked. Personally, chrome on aluminum wheels distracts from the quality of the texture and finish of aluminum, be it machined or polished. Even when not chromed, most aluminum wheels today have a clear coating over them to protect them, however it too can get nicked and the corrosion process starts out underneath just like chrome, bit its easier to fix than chrome.
Old 2/5/06, 07:48 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MTAS @ February 5, 2006, 3:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Sorry no pics, but here's a verbal description:

Chrome: Mirror like finish, relatively easy to maintain and keep clean. Impossible to do spot repairs if you nick it on a curb or with a lug wrench - either live with it or get the whole wheel replated [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Polished: Close to mirror, but not quite (although it is possible to mimic chrome - I have a Ford Racing oil cap that's polished aluminum and it's AMAZING). If they're not clear coated, can be more involved to maintain. I had polished/non coated wheels on my 96GT. At least 3X/year I'd break out the drill and buffing wheel with polishing compound and hit them all. Made a huge difference. Spot repairs are possible if the gouge/nick isn't too deep. I went with polished wheels because I knew there'd come a day when I'd nick a curb. Sho 'nuff, leaving the bank drive through one day I nicked the right rear. Made me sick to my stomach, but it wasn't too bad. If it was a chrome wheel, I would have needed the tire to be removed and the whole wheel replated, or live with it and risk it peeling/chipping and rusting.

Spin the Wheel Of Destiny and take your pick [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I NEVER GO THROUGH A BANK DRIVE THROUGH !!!! They have high curbs to help protect the equipment from those ^%$#$%#^ SUV drivers who don't give a darn about anyone else. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img]