05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Body shop question?

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/06, 11:49 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted before that some moron bumped into me in the parking lot. Anyway, I need to get my front bumper painted. The guy that I took it to is stating he needs to not only paint the bumper but paint some of my fenders to "fade in" the paint. I told him I just want my bumper painted.

Anyway, whats your thoughts about this? Seems like it would make sense if my paint is faded but the car is brand spanking new. I dont want any more paint then I have to.

I am thinking of taking bumper off and just giving it to him to paint. Opinions???
Old 2/9/06, 12:25 PM
GT Member

Your painter is right, most of the time you want to fade in the paint, this will make his job a lot easier. If the new paint is off just a little you won't notice it as much faded in as you would with just one piece being painted. But... in saying that with as fresh as the paint is on a new car you don't have to worry to much about paint fade and a good paint supplier could mix up paint that should match dead on. Then you would only have to paint the bumper.

Jason
Old 2/9/06, 03:29 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My opinion - Your painter is wrong. Urethane bumper covers will absorb paint differently than sheetmetal, therefore you can spray the bumper and the fender at the same time and still not have a perfect match. Just have him take the bumper off the car and paint it.

What part of your bumper (location on the cover) and how much of it is damaged?
Old 2/9/06, 03:59 PM
GT Member

Your painter is right IMO. The clear is really the issue, not the color.
Old 2/10/06, 10:17 AM
GT Member

Pic here ->http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....=post&id=43374

Mixed answers. I am still leaning towards just spraying the bumper. I just dont like the idea of spraying the fenders to..
Old 2/10/06, 04:07 PM
I lust for a M24

You're on the right track. There is no need whatsoever to blend your fenders. They're going to do nothing more than a small repair to the front of the cover. They'll take it off the car first, do the repair, and the repair will only extend out about 6 inches from the damage. They won't even shoot color over the entire cover. They'll spot the base color over the repaired section, then blend within the rest of the cover. They shouldn't even spray around the sides of the cover except to blend. When they're done they'll reclear the whole thing. Your estimate should look like this.

Overhaul front bumper (this is time to remove/install, and take the whole thing apart, grills, etc. and even allows them extra time to remove the impact absorber, etc)
Repair (labor hours - judgement item)
Refinish front cover
Add for clear

Maybe:
Flex
Tint for match
Hazardous Waste

That's it. If he's looking at that damage and telling you he needs to paint the fenders to get it to match then you need a new painter. This should cost you no more than $550.00.
Old 2/11/06, 01:31 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05GT-O.C.D. @ February 10, 2006, 5:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That's it. If he's looking at that damage and telling you he needs to paint the fenders to get it to match then you need a new painter. This should cost you no more than $550.00.
[/b][/quote]

Heh, that is the exact quote. Actually 100 bucks less since it is a friend of a friend.
Old 2/11/06, 02:26 PM
I lust for a M24

Yup, I looked up the refinish and labor times for you. Good luck.