05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Body Kit

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/06 | 01:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've had the SS body kit on for a while now, but I keep having problems with the 3M tape not holding. I was reading through the instructions again and found this ....

[attachmentid=47139]

For those of you who have the SS body kit. Have you guys had any problems and did you install or omit these two screws. I rather not install them because of possible rust issue later on down the road, but if that helps keep the body kit on I may have too.
Old 4/17/06 | 05:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

had the same problem with mine, i added the screws and it helps ALOT but there are still places where the tape wants to still come off. its no where near as bad now with the screws on the pinch helping to hold some of the weight of the skirts [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/17/06 | 09:33 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

I don't have this kit, but have done a body kit in the past. Did the kit include an adhesion promoter of some sort? The stuff I got came in a box from the local body/paint supply shop, and it's little wetnap packets. Each one has a piece of gauze soaked in an adhesive, basically. You rub this on the body where the tape will be, carefull not to get it anywhere that will be seen afterwards. Let it dry for a bit (instructions on the packets) then install the part. Worked like a champ on the body kit I installed. The adhesion promoter I got is made by 3M. I don't have a part number or anything, and am pretty sure in the 2 moves since that it got tossed.

If you already have the body kit on, in order to do this, you would probably get the best results with new tape on the whole piece, which might be tough.

For anyone who hasn't installed the kit yet, this might be worth looking in to.

Oh yeah, one other thing. Not sure what is in this stuff, but I wore latex gloves while putting it on, and it was slowly eating through them. Had to change the gloves once in a while. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 4/17/06 | 11:30 AM
I Have No Life

I have the same kit. Anyway, did you scuff the paint before installing the kit? You need to scuff up the paint, use adhesive promoter and all screws included. There is a reason they say "Do not OMIT these screws".
Old 4/17/06 | 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the feed back guys, I did use the 3M adhesive promoter, but didn't scuff the paint. only because if I ever want to change the kit out for something else I wouldn't want to have to repaint the car. (I'd like to keep as much factory paint as possible). I guess I will have to put those two screws in and hope I don't get rust there. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 4/17/06 | 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

i think you will be ok with the 2 screws, mine is holding up pretty good so far (knocking on wood) i didnt use adhesive promoter nor did i scuff the paint because like you said i want to be able to go back to stock if i choose to with little or no trouble
Old 4/18/06 | 01:43 PM
Cobra Member

I have the same problem... although I didn't install my own kit.

Thanks for the post though I'm going to take this with me when I take it back to the body shop.
Old 4/18/06 | 02:09 PM
I Have No Life

Just a little FYI. I understand why you guys don't want to scuff the paint, makes 100% sense, however, if you don't scuff the paint I wouldn't expect the parts to stick 100%. If you don't use adhesive promoter I would expect people to either have issues soon after installation or within a year. It is amazing how much of a difference the adhesive promoter makes and when the paint has been scuffed up.
Old 4/18/06 | 05:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Imatk @ April 18, 2006, 12:46 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have the same problem... although I didn't install my own kit.

Thanks for the post though I'm going to take this with me when I take it back to the body shop.
[/b][/quote]

IMATK,

I think both of our body kits were installed at the same shop. Let me know what happens. They already re-did mine once, it seems to be holding on right now (except for one small area). I'll be installing the screws sometime later tonight in hopes that it stays put now.
Old 4/18/06 | 07:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

ya i knew i would have the problem and i figured once every 6 months to a year of fixing the side skirts would be better then scuffing. i was thinking about putting the factory sides back on and leaving the SS front bumber and rear lip to see how it would look [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] what do you guys think ?
Old 4/19/06 | 12:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've seen that before. Can't remember if its someones car here or on another forum, but to me it doesn't looks right. The front is low, middle section is high, and then the rear is low again. I have thought about using the cervins side skirts, they attach with three screws on the inside of the door jam. And you would get side-exhaust. For now i'd rather deal with the 3M stuff, I like the look of these side skirts.
Old 4/19/06 | 12:49 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah, Jose, they didn't install the screw when you went back to them?

I think I'll definately take your diagram with me when I go.
Old 4/19/06 | 01:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GtStallion51 @ April 19, 2006, 1:33 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I've seen that before. Can't remember if its someones car here or on another forum, but to me it doesn't looks right. The front is low, middle section is high, and then the rear is low again. I have thought about using the cervins side skirts, they attach with three screws on the inside of the door jam. And you would get side-exhaust. For now i'd rather deal with the 3M stuff, I like the look of these side skirts.
[/b][/quote]

ya i love the look of the SS skirts too, i wonder if a screw could be used on the inside of the door jam with these?