05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Any info on the glass back?

Search this Thread

Old 3/28/05, 08:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone heard anything about the CDC glassback. This is the mod I wan the most for when I get m y stang. Just curous (spelling?) what do you guys think a stang would look like striped but with the glassback. Would there be a way to stripe it or something. I am asking becuase the blue CDC car has a silver glassback so could you get it color matcked or with stripes also? Just asking your opinions.
Old 3/28/05, 09:11 AM
GT Member

You could most likely get vinyl stripes on the glass top. That would look weird from inside though. The silver is the color of the the glass when in the "off" position. When you turn it on, it goes clear. It's so you can see through or get some privacy. A current passes through it to do this neat little trick. I have seen some bathroom stall doors like this before too...
Old 3/28/05, 03:16 PM
V6 Member

Hmmm....where did you hear about the "on/off" aspect of the Glassback roof? From what I've read the panel comes either in silver or black tint, just like sunglasses. It's the UV protection layer that's applied that give it the color. From the inside the panel is transparent/tinted (again, think about a really big sunglass lense).

If you go to the documents section of Brad's website I seem to recall a pamphlet from the SEMA show that gave some more info on the roof than what's published on CDC's site. One of the folks from CDC indicated that the roof could potentially be ordered with stripes integrated into the panel, however this comment was made several months ago and who knows what they'll actually offer once it goes to production.

It's a tough call about the stripes and the roof panel. I guess you could just stripe the hood and tail, but that may look a little strange. I wouldn't stripe the panel itself unless CDC offers that option. Most glass manufacturers don't like you adding coverings that could cause heat build-up in the glass, plus it would again look strange from the inside.

Rob
Old 3/28/05, 10:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CDC says it comes in silver or black tint. They are working on some final installation issues/materials and should be releasing the Glassback in June.