05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Airride Technologys Suspension kit?? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/06, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airride Technologys Suspension kit?? Anyone?

Hey guys,

Im looking for something new to do to the Roush this year and I want to lower it badly. My problem is I live on a long dirt/gravel driveway and a permantly lowered car just wont make it.

Has anyone got an experience with this guys? How about their kits? I would love to hear some real world experience before I buy. The kit itself cost about as much as most superchargers but it has 3 memory settings all the way from lowering it 5" to raising it higher then factory.

Thanks Doug
Old 12/30/06, 11:41 PM
Bullitt Member

ive been thinking about this. my neighbor just got one installed in his 32 ford coupe. it is very cool. but i dont think i want to spend that much on just a suspension.
Old 12/31/06, 07:31 AM
Cobra Member

I went to their site but couldn't find any info on a kit that was built for the S197. Pretty pricey, but I have heard good things from magazines and TV shows. My driveway might also keep me from lowering mine as well. It looked like it was 800 to 1000 more than the FRRP kit. One thing that I would worry about is the alignment of the front end with the raising and lowering of the car. Not a problem for what you want to do but it still is a little worrisome.
Old 12/31/06, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

I also want to do this in the future. Sick of the ride and scraping issues.

Ride is so sweet on bags..............
Old 12/31/06, 10:38 AM
V6 Member

Okay...I live in the town that AirRide is from. Jasper, IN. I have many friends that work there, and personally know the owner. So I can help answer this for you guys. They DO have a system in the works. The system is installed on their 05, and it is been tested right now. So there should be a system out for it soon.

A friend of mine has been driving the car daily to get miles on the bags and make sure everything will be perfect with it.

So hopefully by spring time the kit should be released!

Hope that helps
Old 12/31/06, 10:39 AM
V6 Member

oh, and I've been in a ride for it already too, and it is BAD @$$!!!!!
Old 12/31/06, 10:45 AM
V6 Member

Pics of their 2005 Mustang

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...791#post809791
Old 1/1/07, 09:35 PM
Banned

I called an spoke with them on Friday and they said they had a kit ready to go for it. The front has Bilstien struts made into the front spring and the rear was a Cool Ride kit. They quoted me for the kit with the 4 level ride sensors and the computer controlled system. It was around $3300. I really want it but I have ALOT of bills due this month and I dont know if I can spare the extra for it. Funny, I used to say I cant wait for tax season, now I dread it.

Thanks, Doug

P.S. Cool, I'm in Jasper, Alabama
Old 1/2/07, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Doug & Jeremy for the heads up. This is a HUGE must do mod for the wife and I.
Old 1/2/07, 09:26 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
I called an spoke with them on Friday and they said they had a kit ready to go for it. The front has Bilstien struts made into the front spring and the rear was a Cool Ride kit. They quoted me for the kit with the 4 level ride sensors and the computer controlled system. It was around $3300. I really want it but I have ALOT of bills due this month and I dont know if I can spare the extra for it. Funny, I used to say I cant wait for tax season, now I dread it.

Thanks, Doug

P.S. Cool, I'm in Jasper, Alabama
Doug...you know who this is! lol

Did you get my e-mail I sent you a couple days ago?
Old 1/3/07, 03:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I can't believe this is a serious post here. Mustangs do not belong on bags period. You're going to sacrifice all of the handling qualities of such an awesome road machine. I think it would absolutely take the fun out of driving. Total loss in performance as compared to new springs.
Old 1/3/07, 11:41 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TehSLeeper
I can't believe this is a serious post here. Mustangs do not belong on bags period. You're going to sacrifice all of the handling qualities of such an awesome road machine. I think it would absolutely take the fun out of driving. Total loss in performance as compared to new springs.
Old 1/4/07, 10:08 PM

Doug,
there's a fella named Jeff looking for a tune from you and sent you an email a few days ago. He doesn't know of this site and I figured I'd drop this message to get your attention.
I would have PM'd you, but you don't have that option and I figured it would be pointless to email you seeing that he did the same. Just trying to help!
I'll delete this once I know you've seen it.
David
Old 1/5/07, 06:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Its all about the looks. Nothing like cruising whilst tucking your tire up under the fender and being only a inch off the ground.
Old 1/5/07, 07:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
Hey guys,

Im looking for something new to do to the Roush this year and I want to lower it badly. My problem is I live on a long dirt/gravel driveway and a permantly lowered car just wont make it.

Has anyone got an experience with this guys? How about their kits? I would love to hear some real world experience before I buy. The kit itself cost about as much as most superchargers but it has 3 memory settings all the way from lowering it 5" to raising it higher then factory.

Thanks Doug
ART is a great company. I've owned a few bagged and body dropped S-10s, althought I've never installed their products on any of them since there were more options for the truck than there our for mustangs, I've heard nothing but good things about fitment and ease of installation. You have to remember, the world of air suspension has its drawbacks. Depending on where you live(I see your in alabama so this may not apply) if it ever gets below freezing you may have to deal with valves freezing up(can be fixed via air brake antifreeze, but still a hassle). Also your gonna have to hear Compressors running if you get switch happy, and frankly they are pretty dam loud especially if you mount them in your trunk. Space will have to be used up for the air tank(the make spare tire shaped air tanks but I'm not sure if they would fit in the spare tire area on our cars. I'd def look into replacing their bags with something from Slam specialties, they ride alot better and can hold alot more psi than fire stones(I think they use Firestone bags still). I really hope they aren't using sleeve bags for their kit either, cause they wear on themselves when they are completely aired out(I don't know how much they compress on mustangs but on trucks they fold on them selves and wear, convoluted bags are better all around).

Now the Alignment issue, i'm assuming their kit comes with a user defined and memory controlled air system, so not getting the proper height to keep the car as close to alignment specs isn't a big deal. Also remember fittings will sometimes leak, again easily fixable, but sometimes if your late for work and you come out to your car and its laid out, your gonna have to sit there and wait for the tank to fill up so you can lift the car up, I've had to go through this problem with mine simply because, over time the fittings just like to fail a little but there are a bunch of tricks to figure out which one it is(soapy water bubbles on air leaking fittings). All in all I can't wait to put bags on mine but its not gonna be till my car is paid off and I have a reliable back up.
Old 1/5/07, 12:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 555
Its all about the looks. Nothing like cruising whilst tucking your tire up under the fender and being only a inch off the ground.
Not entirely. They also make a very good performance handling setup as well. Good info though, thanks.
Old 1/9/07, 12:28 PM
V6 Member

I`ve got this system in a 63 Grand Prix and it runs laps as fast as sprung Mustangs and Camaros. Don`t knock it till you`ve driven one. They`re not hippity hop lowriders.
Old 1/11/07, 09:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
I`ve got this system in a 63 Grand Prix and it runs laps as fast as sprung Mustangs and Camaros. Don`t knock it till you`ve driven one. They`re not hippity hop lowriders.
Maybe something stock but no airbag system will ever get you even near the same handling ability as a S197 with a fully modified, even almost mildly modified suspension. I'm a performance person myself, so I could care less about how low my car can ride on demand. I'd love to see someone with this bag system run a Tokico D-spec'd mustang on the track.