05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

3DCarbon ducktail issue.

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/08, 08:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
3DCarbon ducktail issue.

I installed a 3DCarbon ducktail this past weekend and ran into an issue. The spoiler is not sitting flush on the very ends, there is a small gap (about an 1/8 inch) and I cannot get the tape to hold there. I can push down on it and it sticks briefly, only to release after a few minutes. I even tried clamping the thing for a couple hours and I still can’t get it to stick. It’s new tape; I used wax/adhesive remover and alcohol to prep the area.

I’m pretty sure everything is aligned properly; it just looks to me like the spoiler is not shaped well for the contours of the decklid on the edges. I’m not worried about it going anywhere, and its not all that noticeable, but it’s not perfect and I’m kind of picky! Anyone else have a similar issue with the 3DCarbon ducktail?

Tim

Last edited by tdbrown75; 4/27/08 at 12:56 PM.
Old 4/27/08, 08:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tdbrown75
I installed a 3DCarbon ducktail this past weekend and ran into an issue. The spoiler is not sitting flush on the very ends, there is a small gap (about an 1/8 inch) and I cannot get the tape to hold there. I can push down on it and it sticks briefly, only to release after a few minutes. I even tried clamping the thing for a couple hours and I still can’t get it to stick. It’s new tape; I used wax/adhesive remover and alcohol to prep the area.

I’m pretty sure everything is aligned properly; it just looks to me like the spoiler is not shaped well for the contours of the hood on the edges. I’m not worried about it going anywhere, and its not all that noticeable, but it’s not perfect and I’m kind of picky! Anyone else have a similar issue with the 3DCarbon ducktail?

Tim
Never mind guys, I just found this thread: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...+spoiler+issue

Tim
Old 4/27/08, 09:21 AM
Cobra R Member

I have the revised version, but did not install the extra bolts. Mine has the same problem the rest are talking about, but nobody noticed but me, and I try not to pay attention. With the tape that did stick, and the two bolts, it's not going anywhere.
Old 4/27/08, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the revised version, but did not install the extra bolts. Mine has the same problem the rest are talking about, but nobody noticed but me, and I try not to pay attention. With the tape that did stick, and the two bolts, it's not going anywhere.
Exactly the same situation here, I used clamps and let them for 24hrs, it helped a lot.
Attached Thumbnails 3DCarbon ducktail issue.-spoilerinstalweb2.jpg   3DCarbon ducktail issue.-spoilerinstalweb.jpg  
Old 4/27/08, 06:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

I did that exact same thing for 2 hours, and the clamps left microfiber imprints in my new paint! It would not have been so bad if the tape had at least held! I'm tempted to try again but I'm not sure its worth the damage to the finish. I take it you did not have the same problem?

Tim
Old 4/27/08, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did that exact same thing for 2 hours, and the clamps left microfiber imprints in my new paint! It would not have been so bad if the tape had at least held! I'm tempted to try again but I'm not sure its worth the damage to the finish. I take it you did not have the same problem?

Tim
Hi Tim, In the side where it needed more preassure, I used a flat piece of wood wrapped in a cotton fabric, the wood distributed de amount of preassure to avoid prints in the paint

It worked for me.. good luck!