Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Shelby name impact on pricing

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/05, 06:16 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Look this isn't about bashing Shelby..I could care less about the man...but that being said I lost all repsect for him when he decided to get his lawyers in on the cobra kit car scandle. The man is monitarily motivated anyone who says otherwise should really do a bit of research. Well the simple facts are the mustang was a HUGE HUGE HUGE sucess before shelby was ever called about making the GTXXX cars. The cars would have been a huge success if shelby was never around. This car will and does live without his name attached.

HTT has said it himself that shelbys involvement with the new car was very very light. Advisory is just a kind way of say "hey you like the color carroll?"

If you guys want to put him on a pedistal then go for it. That's your business. I wont and never will and that's my business.

NOW BACK ON TOPIC!

Enough bashing and stick to the topic...is his name driving prices up?
Old 4/7/05, 06:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by burningman@April 7, 2005, 6:19 PM
Look this isn't about bashing Shelby..I could care less about the man...but that being said I lost all repsect for him when he decided to get his lawyers in on the cobra kit car scandle. The man is monitarily motivated anyone who says otherwise should really do a bit of research. Well the simple facts are the mustang was a HUGE HUGE HUGE sucess before shelby was ever called about making the GTXXX cars. The cars would have been a huge success if shelby was never around. This car will and does live without his name attached.

HTT has said it himself that shelbys involvement with the new car was very very light. Advisory is just a kind way of say "hey you like the color carroll?"

If you guys want to put him on a pedistal then go for it. That's your business. I wont and never will and that's my business.

NOW BACK ON TOPIC!

Enough bashing and stick to the topic...is his name driving prices up?
Doug, I could agree more, Shelby is monetarily motivated and the SVT Mustang would have been a huge success regardless of Shelby's involvement.

On topic, yes Shelby's name is driving up the actual cost charged by Ford and the cost dealers will attempt to ask in mark-up. Shelby's involvement cost potential owners some much needed options and possibly even the IRS. It would be interesting to find out what Shelby's profit per car. I would guess it's close to the amount that it would have cost per car for an IRS option.
Old 4/7/05, 07:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How can you say Shelby's name is driving up the price Ford charges? We don't know what Ford charges yet. If it comes in at about $38k like they are saying it will. That is a bargain for what we are getting. This car is light years ahead of the old Cobra. For $2-3k, we are getting a lot of upgrades. Yeah, yeah, I know, no IRS, but look at everything else.
Old 4/7/05, 07:56 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Kevin what we are talking about is the reported 25K mark ups from various dealers. Are they capitalizing on the Shelby name or not. If the car is sold for 38K then I'll say you are right it's a bargain. Butno one will get it for that price.
Old 4/7/05, 11:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

If anyone pays a 25k markup, then they're idiots, plain and simple. If no one pays those markups, they'll disappear pretty quickly. And I REALLY think this has to do with the popularity of the car, the fact that people are trying to put deposits down on the car and it's not going to be in production for over a year. This signals to dealerships that it's a hot car and there is money to be made. It wouldn't matter if the thing was called Ding-Dong-Tally-Whacker, people LOVE THE CAR. If you want to blame someone for markups, blame the idiots running from dealership to dealership with 5k burning a hole in their pockets. Jesus.

The fact that you could "care less" about the man shows your ignorance. I suppose you think this legend has a following of blind, ignorant, old fogies who have cash to blow. You really have no idea of how much this man fostered the muscle car era, what great driver/inspiration he was/is, and how much we owe to him.

And no, the '05 GT was based off of the 67/68 SHELBYS. That's confirmed in nearly every auto mag article and by Ford itself. HTT has said it himself. Look it up if you're so inclined.

Hate Shelby if you want. Hate the following it brings. But I'm sure you won't hate how much the value of your car will increase after he dies.

I think we all need to calm down a little. This sort of reminds me of the panic people went into before they got used to the '05 GT's manual tranny noises. After the hype dies down, I'm sure that you'll be able to obtain one for a reasonable price. As for right now, enjoy the circus.
Old 4/8/05, 12:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ford chose to put the Shelby name on this car. Deal with it.

It will not make it go faster, nor will it make it go slower. What it will do is add cache to the vehicle, making it subject to increased dealer price gouging now (US) and more valuable in 20-40 years' time.

And when Carroll passes on, expect the value to go up immediately.

People will buy this car for different reasons. SVT fans are getting the car they want - more or less - and those who love the Shelby name are similarly getting the car they want. So what's everybody whining about?

Wait till the feeding frenzy is over and these cars drop back down to MSRP, then pick one up.
Old 4/8/05, 12:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

They just had a GREAT and informative show on Carroll Shelby on the Speed Channel show American Muscle Car... hope a couple of ya watched it...

Oh man.. I'm so excited! C'mon 2007! Hurry up already!
Old 4/8/05, 06:01 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Ok I'm locking this one it's getting stupid now!