Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Shelby name impact on pricing

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/05, 08:45 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok guys ..if this car wasn't a shelby and it was just an SVT cobra (no gt500) what do you think it would sell for and how much gouging would the dealers be handing out.

We have seen upwards of 65K for this car already and it's not even being built yet.

How much of that Gouge is Shelby inspired and how much isn't.

Let the opinions fly!
Old 4/5/05, 09:01 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
It would have been hyped just the same. Remember, everytime Ford brings out a new model, it has the "best ever" label. In other words, we been zuckered all these years into buying the existing POS of the time.

Old 4/5/05, 09:05 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

i agree 100% but do you think the Zuckering would be as much or just a slight zucker?
Old 4/5/05, 09:20 PM

I'll be more than happy to pay any dealer AMV if they in turn agree to add that same amount when it comes time to trade it in. If it is so exclusive at the time of purchase, then it should be just as exclusive in a couple of years.
Old 4/5/05, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish they would drop that old has-been's name alltogether. The "SVT Cobra" was fine. I hope this is just a 1 yr gimmick.
Old 4/5/05, 10:39 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

thank you very much!
Old 4/6/05, 12:50 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by SVTJayC@April 5, 2005, 10:22 PM
I wish they would drop that old has-been's name alltogether. The "SVT Cobra" was fine. I hope this is just a 1 yr gimmick.
with all due respect to Mr. Shelby, i think the name "SVT Cobra" was not merely "fine" compared to "shelby cobra GT500" or whatever the heck it is. I think is was waaaay better
Old 4/6/05, 04:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SVTJayC@April 5, 2005, 10:22 PM
That old "has-been" is the father of the performance Mustang.

What lasting contribution to the world of automobile history have YOU made lately?
:nono:
Old 4/6/05, 05:55 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the Shelby name on there, but the downside of it is that some people who own Shelbys from the 60s, will be all over it, but wouldn't consider it if it was 'just' a Cobra. Its good for Ford, but not so good for the 'true enthusiasts' that will buy one not for the name but for the performance it has to offer.
Old 4/6/05, 06:00 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Robert...you've just proved my point. The NAME Shelby is the one and only reason this car is as expensive as it is. If the man actually hand a hand in on anything car wise like say picking up a wrench or something in the last say oh 20 years I'd be a tad more enthusiastic. But the fact remains he hasn't and the name is mearely a marketing ploy.
Old 4/6/05, 06:02 AM
dke
Bullitt Member

I don't get the impression that the name Shelby inflated the price at all. This cobra is a couple/few thousand more than the last one, with far more HP, and getting a lot more attention (due to the retro design). So the PR play helps Ford, and helps Shelby. Frankly, the guy is getting older, and probably needs to do something to keep his name out there, so didn't expect/demand much to get his name on the back. (He'll leverage the PR in other ways to make it profitable).

So I agree he has a legacy, and it excites the old timers, and reminds people of Fords past. I also agree that the name doesn't mean anything on the road/track, that's based on the cars design (it will live or die by it's own merits). And for me personally, it doesn't matter if it says Shelby, Ferrari, or whatever.
Old 4/6/05, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by Robert@April 6, 2005, 6:00 AM
That old "has-been" is the father of the performance Mustang.
And the proud father of that other illegitimate son... what was his name?

Ahh, YES, now I remember!

Obvonious Chargerous!

Old 4/6/05, 07:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Personally I love the Shelby nameplate; it adds a little something to it. However, it was a beautiful day here yesterday so my wife and I played hooky from work and enjoyed the day. Stopped by the dealership to windows shop and maybe talk to my salesman. He said if anyone thinks they’re getting this car for under 60k they were crazy. Now I am disappointed. I know I can afford 60 but I think my wife would veto that. Guess my Cobra dreams are shot
Old 4/6/05, 07:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe the Shelby name has more impact on the mark-up amounts, even more than the rumored MSRP. I think the SVT marketing folks ought to take a more active role in trying to manage extreme mark-ups. Nissan tried to do that with their "pre-order" program with the 350Z when it first was shown in production trim in early 2002. They released prices right away, which allowed shoppers to make better deals before the car was available. Furthermore, they communicated with the dealerships to say "don't mark these up", which at least was an acknowledgment of the potential for price gouging. Of course, they were making 30,000 cars as opposed to somewhere around 7500.
Old 4/6/05, 10:58 AM
GT Member

Who knows how much his name adds.

I know that for every Harley Davidson Super Duty sold, 10,000 of the 57,000 MSRP goes to Harley (according to my service manager).

I doubt Shelby's name is worth 10 grand/unit. But I have to think it adds a couple of grand to the price (money that could have been used elsewhere...IRS).
Old 4/6/05, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

I think the Shelby name appeals to a much wider audience (especially collectors), and that will significantly increase demand. In turn, the increased demand will allow Ford to charge more, and the dealers to further increase markup.

Brand recognition has a lot to do with it. Joe Schmo may not think an SVT Cobra would have a good chance at running down a Vette (let a lone a Z06). Now, put the Shelby name on the exact same car, and it is a different story. GT500 v Z06 sounds much more plausible -- regardless of the cars performance.
Old 4/6/05, 01:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Joes66Pony@April 6, 2005, 11:01 AM
Who knows how much his name adds.

I know that for every Harley Davidson Super Duty sold, 10,000 of the 57,000 MSRP goes to Harley (according to my service manager).

I doubt Shelby's name is worth 10 grand/unit. But I have to think it adds a couple of grand to the price (money that could have been used elsewhere...IRS).
Excellent point, including Shelby's name probably "cost" buyers the IRS option. I would certainly rather have more content in the car than to have Shelby's name on it.
Old 4/6/05, 03:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford will make enough of these cars to satisfy the demand. If they have orders for 10,000, they won't stop at 7500. Their production estimates are never right. The '03 Cobra went through this exact same thing. Premiums were being charged and paid. 6 months later the cars are being discounted. 1 year later there are 2 or 3 of them on the lot at the end of the model year. Yes, I think the initial demand will overtake the supply. It may be a year or 18 months, but, eventually, the supply will catch up. I wouldn't be surprised to see rebates in the second year or 3rd year.
Old 4/6/05, 07:56 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@April 6, 2005, 3:12 PM
Ford will make enough of these cars to satisfy the demand. If they have orders for 10,000, they won't stop at 7500. Their production estimates are never right. The '03 Cobra went through this exact same thing. Premiums were being charged and paid. 6 months later the cars are being discounted. 1 year later there are 2 or 3 of them on the lot at the end of the model year. Yes, I think the initial demand will overtake the supply. It may be a year or 18 months, but, eventually, the supply will catch up. I wouldn't be surprised to see rebates in the second year or 3rd year.
Who knows...it depends on what Ford has the pipeline. Yeah, the 03 Cobra went through that, but everybody knew that the 05 was right around the corner, and the SVT Cobra/Shelby wouldn't be much farther behind.

I think if Ford has something even better than the Cobra down the line, then yeah, I can see that happening. But if the GT500 is the end all (which I believe it is), then the production run will be gone and we won't see rebates. And honestly, I don't think Ford will build another Mustang to surpass the GT500, especially when gas runs an average of 2.20/gal.
Old 4/6/05, 08:05 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything about the 2005 Mustang (stylistically) is historically referenced from the obvious 1967/68 design ques to the 1965 Shelby windows. It makes perfect sense to have the top Mustang named Shelby and even more to call it a GT500.

Quick Reply: Shelby name impact on pricing