Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Ford's webpage now has pictures of the SHELBY.

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/05, 06:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW: Back to the origin of the topic....

The link is working again! :w00t:
Old 3/23/05, 06:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fair enough. I just like peace on the boards. If you go to the other mustang sites people are bashing each other, cussing at each other and constantly bickering. I primarily stay at this site because it is generally peaceful.

Don't leave if you are wrong, just apologize and move on. Hopefully he will do the same if he is wrong. I like the people on this board, don't want to see them run off.

Thanks.
Old 3/23/05, 07:13 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by bigred0383@March 22, 2005, 6:05 PM
As far as the iron block, it's there because it can take a lot more of a beating than an aluminum one.
Not bloodly likely. The block in the Ford GT was designed to take absolutely mad power without failing.

The Cobra gets the iron one because of cost. A GT block is probably 8x more expensive to produce than a Triton block. When they went to an iron block with the 03 Cobra they spun it as being a strength issue, even though everyone knew they could easily fabricate an aluminum block that would be plenty strong enough to handle lots of boost. This time around they can't spin like that because they have the 150k Ford GT sitting there and the last thing you want to do is imply the block in the new 40k Cobra is somehow stronger than that one.

And yes, I know the GT block is designed for a dry sump oiling system. But you could easily cast a very similar wet sump block using the same material and same process.
Old 3/23/05, 07:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Mark, good to see you man!
Old 3/23/05, 07:31 AM

I think a lot of the design/engineering decisions regarding the GT500 have a lot more to do with price than performance (in the broad sense), despite what the marketing department is spewing out (what are they going to say, we're giving you second tier stuff to pinch pennies?). Of course, a low price point is good. Heck, I don't make a lavish income by any means.

On the other hand, there's a big part of me that would like to see the Mustang go that final yard to become a truly world class, full spectrum performance car, at least in some rendition of it. Rather, the GT500 seems perhaps a 3/4 effort, more affordable certainly, but basically focused somewhat narrowly towards the drag strip and stop light with chassis dynamics a decidedly tertiary consideration (behind price and straight line performance).

This is, of course, fantastic of your performance aims are narrowly defined as cheap straight-line acceleration, and I would hazard to guess that would encompass a great majority of people on this board. Sure it will handle well enough, probably even better than the IRS 2004 on smooth roads at least. But will the handling be great...on all roads... against all comers? I doubt it, but of course the proof will, in the end, be in the driving and testing.

Perhaps there may be a Stang iteration above even the GT500 -- GT500R? -- that will reflect less the *****rdly whims of the bean counters than the design prowess and vision of the engineers and be able to go head to head with the Vettes, M3s, Porches, etc. anywhere, anytime, anyplace -- I just doubt this is that Stang.

May I be proven wrong though.
Old 3/23/05, 07:47 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by jsaylor@March 23, 2005, 9:22 AM
Hey Mark, good to see you man!
How goes it. I stopped posting and checking this forum regularly aftere the 05 stang started shipping. But the Shelby has brought me back.
Old 3/23/05, 07:58 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by rhumb@March 23, 2005, 9:34 AM
Perhaps there may be a Stang iteration above even the GT500 -- GT500R? -- that will reflect less the *****rdly whims of the bean counters than the design prowess and vision of the engineers and be able to go head to head with the Vettes, M3s, Porches, etc. anywhere, anytime, anyplace -- I just doubt this is that Stang.
rhumb, Ford already built a Mustang that can run with the those cars -- the FR500. Course, that one was built by Ford racing, not SVT. Although the two seem to be more in touch with each other this time around, if the comments in the press release are any indication. All they need to do is apply that formula to the new chassis - and then put it in production this time. SLA front suspension, a lightweight IRS, 50/50 weight distribution, 425hp Cammer, and weight reduction wherever possible. That would probably run with a 997 S, a E92 M3/4, an B7 RS4 and whatever else you throw at it. Maybe call it a Boss302 as you and others have suggested before. I'll tell ya, a car like that would definitely be on my list for the next time it comes time to purchase.

Don't get me wrong, this new Shleby looks like it shaped up to be a sweet ride. Just, you can't help notice that SVT's early goals of competing with the M3 on the track seem to have faded away with Colleti and Scarpello. Not that that's a bad thing - I'm sure the new car will sell like mad and be a huge hit. Its just different from what I was kind of looking for when SVT got a hold of the S197.
Old 3/23/05, 08:19 AM

mkoesel, gotta agree with ya buddy.

I too was expecting, based on early SVT posturings, an M3 beater. Rather, it seems like we've ended up with essentially a drag car with chassis dynamics taking a definite back seat. Of course the many drag racers on this board are ecstatic, it's perfect for that particular venue, but I was hoping for something better than just a narrow focus drag queen.

Oh well, maybe there may be something down the road more along the lines of what you describe.
Old 3/23/05, 08:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 3/23/05, 10:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by rhumb@March 23, 2005, 9:22 AM
mkoesel, gotta agree with ya buddy.

I too was expecting, based on early SVT posturings, an M3 beater. Rather, it seems like we've ended up with essentially a drag car with chassis dynamics taking a definite back seat. Of course the many drag racers on this board are ecstatic, it's perfect for that particular venue, but I was hoping for something better than just a narrow focus drag queen.

Oh well, maybe there may be something down the road more along the lines of what you describe.
I think this debate is missing a key element, and that is Mustang's constituent buyer. I'm being sarcastic here, but a not-insignificant percentage of buyers are traditionally mulleted, midwestern males named Skeeter whose primary interests are tractor pulls, football, beer, Republicans, God, Hooters girls and horsepower...not necessarily in that order.

They don't buy M3s, and M3 owners generally don't buy Mustangs. I think you and I believe the Mustang has enough heritage and ability to run with the imports - if only Ford would go further than 75% the way with this car. Sadly, Ford sees its constituent buyers as being derivations of the aforementioned and feel they need to cater to that crowd by offering a SRA and a price point that reflects the lower middle class buyer. And to some degree, Ford is right. But they could also offer a more expensive Shelby GT500KR with a little more power and an IRS.

Having said that, most automotive journalists agree that this is a fine chassis, and that the new Stang's SRA is probably the most sophisticated ever engineered. We should reserve judgement until we drive one.