V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

V6 Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/05 | 04:53 PM
Cobra R Member

I just got my first supercharged car last week (ive had turbocharged ones before) and its gor the roots on it (03 cobra) and it has some pretty impressive low end grunt.
Old 8/25/05 | 08:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

so if a roots does give more grunt down low VS Procharger, then all I can conclude is a drivetrain will blow before one would from a Procharger. Hard launches with more power are what would kill it, no?

As long as a Procharger gives what it advertises, 2 second improvement on 1/4, then I see it as a good product.

a Roots may have better 60ft time and that's it, because right after you hit 2nd with a Procharger you're in power band, and could care less about lowend.
As a daily driver I can see a roots being more fun, especially in the city. For freeway commuting ect. something that kicks in a bit higher would be great.

With all that said I think the Procharger fits my lifestyle. If I had another Mustang I wouldn't mind having one of each though.
Old 8/26/05 | 09:32 AM

Originally posted by Zodiac@August 25, 2005, 9:53 AM
Ya know.. Id have to say Id prefer something besides a roots type

Hey Jimp - Faz and Zodiac... Nice to see you fellas here!

Z - Yes... I personally would wait for a Twin-Screw whipple design. Boost is rendered through the entire RPM band and is a safer design as a "bolt on". I am sure I am a year or two away from Whipple releasing one for the six!

Jenn

Oh and Faz... You just couldn't be satisfied with the 05... You just HAD to get a 'Bra.... :worship:
Old 8/26/05 | 12:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Jenns05Stang@August 26, 2005, 10:35 AM

Z - Yes... I personally would wait for a Twin-Screw whipple design. Boost is rendered through the entire RPM band and is a safer design as a "bolt on". I am sure I am a year or two away from Whipple releasing one for the six!

Jenn

Oh and Faz... You just couldn't be satisfied with the 05... You just HAD to get a 'Bra.... :worship:

Holy crap, Jenns on TMS something just hiccuped in the world.. haha welcome over babe
Old 8/26/05 | 01:00 PM
Cobra R Member

I still prefer drivin the 05 v6 if that means anything?
Drivin the cobra around town sure makes you pray for redlights though.

EDIT: The cobra is bein a PITA right now though, already had it in the shop for 3 days and done get it back till monday. The replaced the driveshaft and the rear end (thats why it wont be back till monday). Also they had to hook the boost gauge back up after replacin the motor, and they broke the radiator cover (that plastic thing on top ya know?)
Its amazin i can still be happy with a car even though ive owned it for a week, and its been in the shop for half of the time.
Old 8/26/05 | 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Fazm@August 26, 2005, 12:03 PM
I still prefer drivin the 05 v6 if that means anything?
Drivin the cobra around town sure makes you pray for redlights though.

EDIT: The cobra is bein a PITA right now though, already had it in the shop for 3 days and done get it back till monday. The replaced the driveshaft and the rear end (thats why it wont be back till monday). Also they had to hook the boost gauge back up after replacin the motor, and they broke the radiator cover (that plastic thing on top ya know?)
Its amazin i can still be happy with a car even though ive owned it for a week, and its been in the shop for half of the time.
What the?????? :shock: What the heck created those issues? And whatcha' talking about "rear end?.... IRS or Diff? Someone had to have drove that like they stole it. :scratch: How many miles on that bad-boy? As for the DS - Did they slip you a nice aluminum race DS or stock it? Hahahhahaha...

Errr I don't know, although the 03 is speced 390/390, I still feel the 05 handles better. I know the 360R I had considered buing in 02 was just a little too aggressive at the low end TQ/HP. Unless you can get either out in an area to open em' up and drive them the way they were engineered, they are bound to get a little cranky.

Zodiac - Did you feel a ripple in the force there my friend!

Jenn
Old 8/26/05 | 03:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Jenns05Stang@August 26, 2005, 11:35 AM

Jenn

Would a whipple type SC clear our hoods?
Old 8/26/05 | 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Jimp@August 26, 2005, 2:34 PM
Would a whipple type SC clear our hoods?

No. Which is fine. The engine compartment in the 05 has a tad bit of a heat retention issue. I would prefer a heat extraction vented hood anyway.

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1208

Yeah.. I am going to wait and see if the release a 4.0L product. In my personal opinion Whipple is the schnizzle! :worship:

Jenn
Old 8/26/05 | 05:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Jenns05Stang, the gears in the diff sorry. They they replaced the driveshaft because they are dumb and thought that was the noise, even though i told them it was the diff. They think the guy bought aftermarket gears and then put the stockers back in, just wrong. But they covered it so who cares

P.S. Stock driveshaft, they wouldnt budge, i also asked them if they would install different ford gears, they said no. Oh well, it already breaks the tires loose in 1st gear without a slippin the clutch lol.
Old 8/26/05 | 09:16 PM
GT Member

03 Cobras already have aluminum driveshafts. And the low end torque is going to rip appart the v-6 rearend in no time, also its harder to make the car hook of the line. The centrifugal superchargers(vortech -paxton-procharger) adds boost gradually , the higher u rev it the more boost u get. If u want to go fast centris are the answer , if u want a fun car to drive around then screw or roots. My 00 GT has a vortech pumping 13 pounds into the stock motor and makes 451 hp 423 tq -11.7 at 119mph, my friends kenne bell is sure fun to drive but gets owned everytime we race , his car puts out 427 hp and 435 tq. Just my 2 cents.
Old 8/26/05 | 09:19 PM

Originally posted by Fazm@August 26, 2005, 4:34 PM
Jenns05Stang, the gears in the diff sorry. They they replaced the driveshaft because they are dumb and thought that was the noise, even though i told them it was the diff. They think the guy bought aftermarket gears and then put the stockers back in, just wrong. But they covered it so who cares

P.S. Stock driveshaft, they wouldnt budge, i also asked them if they would install different ford gears, they said no. Oh well, it already breaks the tires loose in 1st gear without a slippin the clutch lol.

>>>> Some people should not be allowed to modify. And for the life of me, unless the previous owner was planning on circuiting or tracking this 'Bra, what the heck was wrong with the specs as it came.... Pffftttttt.... Oh well. It's cool. You seem to have it all fixed and that is all that counts.

As for the tire chirp..... <3 <3 Mmmmmmm....

Okay - Back to topic before we get in trouble...
Old 8/26/05 | 09:55 PM

Originally posted by Puerto Rico 4.6@August 26, 2005, 8:19 PM
03 Cobras already have aluminum driveshafts. And the low end torque is going to rip appart the v-6 rearend in no time, also its harder to make the car hook of the line. The centrifugal superchargers(vortech -paxton-procharger) adds boost gradually , the higher u rev it the more boost u get. If u want to go fast centris are the answer , if u want a fun car to drive around then screw or roots. My 00 GT has a vortech pumping 13 pounds into the stock motor and makes 451 hp 423 tq -11.7 at 119mph, my friends kenne bell is sure fun to drive but gets owned everytime we race , his car puts out 427 hp and 435 tq. Just my 2 cents.

Hi Frank, (LONG WINDED HEMMINGWAY WARNING! )

Thanks for the response. There are a few of us V-6 forum group nerds who are watching the performance of the engine internals and rear gears. We will most definatley have to go with an 8.8 and be cautious of the spider gears. A couple of gents have been working with Zex and TTs and are well ahead of the game. They are specialty builders, so we get to stand on the sidelines and let them prototype these options for us and find the best desired outcome with relative costs.

I can agree with some of your response regarding the boost delivery on the CF-S/C versus Twin Screw. The twin screw is by far a better S/C for a DD then a roots or centrifugal driven S/C.

The major difference between the positive displacement of a Twin-Screw versus the centrifugal superchargers is the rate of boost. The TS, specifically the Whipple, creates boost the instant the throttle is touched and usually reaches full boost by 2000 to 2400 rpm. The centrifugal supercharger is a belt driven turbo that has a lag time while it "spools up." The centrifugal commonly does not come into boost until 2600 to 3000 rpm and they commonly do not reach full boost until max rpm. The instant boost gives you far better throttle response whenever you call upon it, far greater acceleration, and incredible driveability.

The Whipple twin-screw supercharger is actually a compressor, which means it compresses air internally as well as compressing it in the manifold. Because the screw compressor compress’s the air inside the case, air enters into the pressurized environment with very little leakage or energy loss.

A roots-type supercharger sweeps atmospheric air into the manifold and is compressed in the manifold only. With manifold pressure, air leaks back through the rotors causing air to be heated. Roots-type uses Teflon to try and seal the rotors to cure this, but touching tolerances cause more frictional heat and greater parasitic losses. This problem is multiplied when boost levels rise or sustained in-boost periods. A screw compressor has very tight tolerances between the rotors. The rotors never touch, eliminating big parasitic and frictional losses as well as keeping the same performance year after year.

The two types of superchargers have different performance characteristics that have led to several debates on which supercharger is preferable. Proponents of roots blowers argue that more boost is available at lower RPM to provide off the line acceleration. Centrifugal supercharger enthusiasts argue that roots blowers are limited at higher RPMs and can increase air temperature and decrease horsepower. Whipple Superchargers offer significant horsepower at low RPMs with superior mid and high RPM performance. Since in DD you are spending most of the time in the mid to high RPM ranges, I prefer the TS.

Thanks again for your input. It's always a pleasure to debate these types of items. :worship:

Jenn
Old 8/26/05 | 11:19 PM
GT Member

A whipple would be nice if they would make it for the 4.0...

Looking on their site, they never made one for the old pre-05 V6 mustang so who knows if they will for the 4.0,

and the sad thing is they do make one for the PT cruiser....WTF!
Old 8/26/05 | 11:38 PM

Originally posted by sundeep@August 26, 2005, 10:22 PM
A whipple would be nice if they would make it for the 4.0...

Looking on their site, they never made one for the old pre-05 V6 mustang so who knows if they will for the 4.0,

and the sad thing is they do make one for the PT cruiser....WTF!

LOL... I know.... Sad huh? It seems that if you already have a 4.6L/5.4L then they are right there to develop a S/C. I guess us sixers are not worthy!

In a year or two as the demand for S/Cing the 4.0L develops they may consider it. I will hold out. The thing I like about Whipple's products is that the package is complete. So, if I am going to S/C, I would prefer an integrated engineered package for around $5,000 - $6,000. The end result is much cleaner than a per-part thrown together package in the garage. Especially with the modulation in these things... Pickey little tirds.
Old 8/26/05 | 11:42 PM
Cobra R Member

A lot of companies didnt make things for the old 3.8/3.9 engines but are jumpin on the bandwagon already for the 4.0s (less than a year of bein on the street). Im not sayin whipple or KB will come out with something for the 4.0, but im sayin its probably likely. I too would prefer a TS supercharger for a, its low end power, and for b, it looks a lot better in my opinion

ok, that was enough on topic stuff to have a lil off topic reply to jenn
Im very happy with the way it came, but you best believe i've already ordered the K&N intake for it, and am tryin to find the best pulley/tune combo out there. (possible TB and exhaust too, shootin for that 500rwhp mark)
Old 8/27/05 | 12:01 AM

Steeda on the pulley dude:

Steeda 2003 Cobra Pulley 3.10" pulley delivers about 1-2psi over stock and it does not require sport chip or new serpentine belt. Some testing has shown gain of about 25 RWHP.

But if you are going for around 500, you will need a lot more than that, LOL To start check out the Steeda 2003 Cobra Pulley 2.81" -pushes 4-5psi over stock, requires Diablosport Chip and shorter serpentine belt - runs about $80. Some testing has shown gains of around 60 RWHP - We can bet the tune helps here too! LOL

Depends on how much cash you are willing to lay out. Give me a figure and I'll work up a little shopping list for you to research, but PM of course..I am not sure how fluid the moderators are with the cross talk yet...

http://www.mustangtuning.com/st20copu3.html
Old 8/31/05 | 01:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

This may have been posted... but does anyone know anything more about this supercharger listed on ebay? A powerdyne?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Supercharge...sspagenameZWD1V

edit: hmm... I can't seem to get the link to work... I just did a search for "2005 v6 mustang supercharger" on ebay and found it.
Old 8/31/05 | 02:32 PM
Cobra Member

Don't know how I missed the debate a few days ago... LOL!

What about Explorer Express's future kit using the Eaton? I thought Eaton was a Root's type but they call it a "modified Roots' and they twist the lobes so I think it in fact works more like a twin screw???? They also claim it make 70% of boost by 1800RPM... woohoo!!!

Now... today with gas prices up... I'm rethinking the S/C.... With an S/C your running premium all the time... correct??? I'm back to thinking Nitrous... I can run an 87 or 89 tune most of the time... my stang is a DD.... then if I know I'll be heading to the I could just run the gas down and refill with premium and load the Nitrous tune... I know this would require planning a head but at least for now I don't want to be force to run premium all the time...