V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Suspension Time!

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/11, 12:04 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Time!

Alright guys, so now that the new bumper is pretty much ready to be put on this week(need to add the bumper foam/impact absorber) I'm thinking it's time for some suspension upgrades. Right now I have about 53k miles and the only handling upgrades have been LCA(non adjustable) and new 18x9-18x9.5 wheels/tires. I would like my car to sit a bit lower without bottoming out over every bump. The car will very rarely see the track, 1 time every few months at most. I tend to be a slightly aggressive driver. My budget is just around $1,300-1,1500 dollars(hopefully under so I can pay install fees) I'm not sure what needs to be done but I think new shocks/struts/springs is what I need...I don't know which ones are "good" or "bad" so please let me know of the quality ones for the v6. Also what is a k-member? Sorry for the "noob" questions but I would also like to learn about the things that I put on my car instead of just throwing money out and seeing what looks different. Also my car is supercharged so I'm not sure if that will change the level of springs I need or something...thanks guys!
Old 11/2/11, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I currently run Tokico DSpec struts with Steeda Ultralight springs, its an amazing setup with options for tuning and has served me wll for the last 4 years. Am going to H&R race springs next and swapping my BMR panhard bar for a lighter J&M one, also ran the J&M camber plates and may put them back in but also have camber bolts to play with, we'll see. Add a nice strut tower brace and it will firm up your front end, I have a UPR one that I would let go for shipping costs, just needs some black touch up on the ends. I also run a full x-brace under the car, the first from Dads Hot Rod Shop, it make the car feel like full frame and solid, also user their front control arm brace. There are so many options but you dont need to break the bank, 1500 will set the car up nicely.
Old 11/2/11, 07:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
What year Mustang do you have? We offer some great suspension pak's that will be affordable for your budget. You are going to want go get some of our suspension springs that will drop the car approximately 1 inch in the front and 1 1/4 in the rear for a more aggressive stance.

Sway bars, shocks, springs, strut tower braces are included in our handling packs. Here is a great video that was put together featuring our suspension on a 5.0. This same type of set up on V6 can give just as good results.

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2011/10/m...ck-with-a-5-0/
Old 11/3/11, 01:52 AM
GT Member

Yeah I looked up the tockio D and they look good, I'm still trying to decide on the springs though. I've heard that I don't need camber plates unless it's a big drop..and I think that I have to get the strut bar from explorer express, (clearance with the supercharger). My car is a 2006, and I will take a look at the handling packages, maybe I can find the stuff I want bundled.
Old 11/5/11, 10:28 AM
Bullitt Member

I think you could also add the Prothane motor mounts that can drop the engine down another 1/2 inch or so. If you dont get camber plates at least upgrade the upper mounts to the GT500 ones, the price is reasonable for a bit more heavy duty part.
With the Steeda springs I was very careful going over speedbumps, but that will be true for most lowering performance springs. Any plans for the swaybars?
Old 11/5/11, 01:22 PM
GT Member

Well I have the pony package sway bars, and I am not sure what to upgrade to..I was thinking a take off GT sway bars w/a takeoff GT brake upgrade since those aren't very expensive..the gt500 strut mounts are also very reasonable. I found a website called stranoparts and I think I might upgrade to the level 2 handling package. I'm being very picky because this will be the last mod for some time because of financial reasons, I'm sacrificing upgrading to custom leather seats so I can have a better ride quality..
Old 11/6/11, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I run GT500 sways with a Steeda billet front mount, zero issue and stiffened it up a smidge. Being its a 'vet the x-brace made the most impact.
Old 11/6/11, 11:23 AM
GT Member

Well I decided im going to get a strut bar, sway bars, shocks,struts, springs, and the gt500 camber...that seems like a pretty good/complete upgrade..im still a little iffy about how low to lower the car, but once I decide I will order and then post pics of how it turned out.