V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Strange Rattle at Right Rear

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/05, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else hear of this problem...there is a really strange rattle, somewhat loud, that's coming from my right rear wheel area. It only starts at highway speeds, is very intermittent and starts and stops for no apparent reason. The only common element when it does occur is that increased vibration sometimes changes the tone and frequency. At first I thought there was something wrong with the Flowmaster muffler I had installed so I had it replaced with the same thing but to no avail. It seems like it's some kind of strange exhaust problem but others have slapped in a Flowmaster muffler with no problem. Any advice on what I should do?
Old 6/14/05, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey, i had the same problem, but i had a V-Force Muffler put on rather than a flowmaster. man, i spent months trying to figure out what the heck that sound was. i knew it was from the muffler though. i finally took it back up there and basicly i had the hanger mounted on there in a different location and ever since i could no longer hear that "rattle". my advice is go where you got your muffler put on and tell them to mount your hanger a different place. the reason it's rattling is because when the pipes heat up they expand and your muffler is hitting something causing it to vibrate or rattle. i hope this is helpful.