V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Stock v6 + GT Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/05, 10:04 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks Excellent Kevin!! Nice work.
Old 5/13/05, 10:44 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,814 Likes on 2,084 Posts
Here is a TIP,Personally I find Muffler Work EXHAUSTING! But it's Never a PIPE Dream! Happy Friday the 13th! Took the Day off! Think I will listen to the Stevie Wonder album SUPERSTITIOUS. Have a Great weekend!

kc
Old 5/16/05, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs up

OK Im sold...Now all I have to do is find a GT muffler !! I sent Casco an email...Just waiting for a reply. In the mean time if there is anyone in Canada that has these or knows where to find them please let me know !!
Old 5/17/05, 07:11 AM
Rik
GT Member

Here's how I got mine:

There was a thread in the GT forum, in which a sixer posted that he was looking for GT mufflers, and asked if any V8 owner who'd upgraded to an aftermarket catback or axleback had some available?

Several people responded to him, and I jumped in to say that I was also a V6 owner interested in getting some GT mufflers. As it happened, I got lucky...a guy who lived five minutes' drive from my house happened to see that thread, and e-mailed me that I could come over and pick 'em up for free. He had replaced his stock exhaust with a Steeda catback, and after listening to it and wiping the drool off my chin, I went home with a free set of mufflers.

So, I recommend that you look in the GT forum...maybe you can find that thread but if not, just start a new one. You may not get lucky enough to find a set for free, but there's likely to be SOMEONE who will sell you a pair cheap. Worth a shot, right?
Old 5/17/05, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

yep! Thats how I got my GT mufflers a friend whom I met on this site lives about 45minutes from me replaced his exhaust and he gave me his for take offs for 25 dollars!!!
Old 5/17/05, 09:00 AM
V6 Member

Yes I too lucked out in this. I was at a performace shop to buy a K&N air filter for my car, when I heard then start up a GT with flowmasters on it out back. So I asked what they where going to do with the takeoffs. I got then cheap and was very happy when I intstalled them onto my car.
Old 5/17/05, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the idea!! I'll give it a go!!!
Old 5/18/05, 01:34 PM
Cobra Member

There's a guy on eBay that sells the mufflers (set of two), they are takeoffs from GT Mustangs being converted to Saleens. Here's one of his auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...ssPageName=WDVW

I got them for 45 bucks plus 39 shipping for both, a very good deal. Someone priced just the right muffler from Ford and it was 200 bucks.
Old 5/28/05, 11:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well todays the day!! I just got the GT mufflers and Im off to put the right side on. Looking forward to the new sound!!
Old 5/29/05, 11:42 AM
GT Member

My wife and I just finished this mod. Ordered our mufflers from Cosco and received them in 3 days. Taking off the original muffler took a little time as we weren't exactly sure but after reading this thread again, it all made sense. The sound is much better than the stock muffler. I guess it took us less than 2 hours to complete. A mod that all V6 owners should undertake. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge here...
Old 5/29/05, 02:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Do you guys think this would sound better than a Magnaflow, Coffin, Flowmaster, or any aftermarket muffler. For the potential price i'm sold, I really like the sound. I actually like the popping noise as well.
Old 5/30/05, 01:11 PM
V6 Member

No idea if it sounds better than those aftermarket mufflers, but it does sound GOOD! Just did it yesterday, really quite easy once you figure out where all the bolts are. If I can do it, anyone can, I have zero mechanical aptitude. Had convinced myself that there would be no real difference in sound so that I wouldn't be too dissapointed, but there definitely is a better sound. And that beautiful SS tip was worth it for itself, SO much nicer looking. Thanks to everyone's input on the how-to, really made it easy.
Old 5/30/05, 02:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Now my quest is to find one.
Old 5/30/05, 02:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

I fininshed mine in about an hour but the tip still seems to be very close to the bumper cover. I am keeping a close eye on it. As for sound, it is way better than before.
Old 6/3/05, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Zodiac@May 6, 2005, 12:48 AM
Yup they did, looks awesome on a black car. This would be really cheap and easy to do, and Ill admit ive thought about it before myself. I say go for it!
Not to crash a thread. But I have a black GT witht he American Thunder kit in question. Here is a pic from the back. Also, I have two GT mufflers for anyone that will pick up or pay for shipping. No charge for the mufflers, just don't want the shipping to come out of my pocket.

Old 6/3/05, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Allso, I have two GT mufflers for anyone that will pick up or pay for shipping. No charge for the mufflers, just don't want the shipping to come oput of my pocket.
Oh Sure...now ya tell me !!! After I've already bought mine !!! J/K...I'm happy with the deal I got !!

BTW nbk13nw ... It looks great !!
Old 6/3/05, 03:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Send you a PM Kirk, I'm game.
Old 6/10/05, 12:23 PM
GT Member

We already have the right side GT muffler installed. We stopped at the local exhaust guru here and he feels it should be no problem tying into the Y-pipe then running the left side tubing. His costs are phenominal - $3 per foot for tubing and $36 hourly labor. Figures it should be less than an hour to do...

Question: I'm going to let him do it the way he'd like to but since there is a huge knowledge base here I thought I'd ask - are there any issues with him tying into the Y-pipe? Or should I just tell him to remove the Y-pipe and go with an X-pipe?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...
Old 6/10/05, 12:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by pony_up@June 10, 2005, 12:26 PM
We already have the right side GT muffler installed. We stopped at the local exhaust guru here and he feels it should be no problem tying into the Y-pipe then running the left side tubing. His costs are phenominal - $3 per foot for tubing and $36 hourly labor. Figures it should be less than an hour to do...

Question: I'm going to let him do it the way he'd like to but since there is a huge knowledge base here I thought I'd ask - are there any issues with him tying into the Y-pipe? Or should I just tell him to remove the Y-pipe and go with an X-pipe?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...
I just added a custom reverse Y after the first Y pipe, Less proplems with warranty issuses later if it ever arises. Plus so far all the aftermarket duels are using Y pipes. You figure with all their time and research and that is what most are doing, I'll go with that way too....Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 6/10/05, 02:00 PM
Cobra Member

I asked the muffler shop to do a reverse Y after the existing Y. They ignored my direction and y'd into the left side head pipe, so mine is essentially true duals with an angled connector. Actually I shouldn't say they ignored me, they were concerned about crossing over that close to the driveshaft. Anyway, I can't tell a difference either way in performance, feels about the same. Mainly I wanted two pipes sticking out the back instead of one

Quick Reply: Stock v6 + GT Muffler