The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   V6 Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f670/)
-   -   Stock v6 + GT Muffler (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f670/stock-v6-gt-muffler-402721/)

Zodiac 3/8/05 07:49 PM

Found this while roaming the net..

http://home.comcast.net/~rick.prince...g-05/Audio.wma

kevinv-6 3/8/05 07:59 PM

crazy question but is it a v-6 muffler and a gt muffler on one Mustang?

Zodiac 3/8/05 08:02 PM

Originally posted by kevinv-6@March 8, 2005, 10:02 PM
crazy question but is it a v-6 muffler and a gt muffler on one Mustang?

Nope, and sorry for any confusion caused by my message title. Its a v6 (with no performance mods) that has had the stock muffler replaced with a stock GT muffler.

kevinv-6 3/8/05 08:14 PM

thanks!
sounds good!

Super Snake 3/8/05 08:45 PM

Man that sounds pretty sweet! I haven't listened to it recently but I think that sounds better than JBAs axelback system.

Super Snake 3/8/05 08:49 PM

Upon further review:
GT Muffler > JBA Axelback.......JMO from what i've heard so far.

Rik 3/9/05 07:02 AM

Anybody price a GT muffler?

allstateguy 3/9/05 07:33 AM

Originally posted by Rik@March 9, 2005, 7:05 AM
Anybody price a GT muffler?

Bought mine on eBay from Casco.
$25 BIN, $25 shipping. Just the right side.
It fits, but is very close the the opening in the bumper cover. Does sound VERY nice.

battery198 3/9/05 10:32 AM

allstateguy,

Any noticable power increase with this muffler?

allstateguy 3/9/05 10:55 AM

Originally posted by battery198@March 9, 2005, 10:35 AM
allstateguy,

Any noticable power increase with this muffler?

I've only got about 800 miles on the car (v6 manual) so I haven't really gotten on it, but it does seem to rev through 4500 with no sag like it had with less miles. I can't attribute a lot or performance to it, but the sound is great, with no resonance inside at any rpm or throttle, and it was cheap and easy too!

sundeep 3/9/05 12:39 PM

Is is a simple bolt off old, bolt on new? or is there any cutting?

thanks...

allstateguy 3/9/05 02:25 PM

Originally posted by sundeep@March 9, 2005, 12:42 PM
Is is a simple bolt off old, bolt on new? or is there any cutting?

thanks...

No cutting. Just unclamp the v6 original muffler from the pipe, and take all the mount bolts out of the body. Put the GT muffler up in exactly the same place, but it only takes two of the mounts (4 bolts rather than 6) and it also doesn't have the bobweight on it that the v6 muffler has. Looking at the exhaust pipe, there is one of those vibe damper weights on it too. Thought maybe there could be some vibrations or resonance, since Ford went to the trouble to put those on, but no. Just a little louder (you have to roll the windows down to really hear the difference)
and just the right sound, in my opinion.

dynaflash 3/9/05 03:42 PM

I did this to my car also. Bought mine from Caso for 45.00 for the pair. I installed the right side only and kept the left, so if I decide to make duals. It sounds great. The stainless tip looks good and best of all, I picked up 1 mpg. I can not say if it has any more power or not. This is one of the best mods I have done. Takes 20 minutes to do it and if you don't like it, 20 minutes to put it back to stock.

King Taco 3/9/05 05:28 PM

Sounds kinda awrite....some bang for the buck action right there.....can someone plz tell me how to find these GT muffs????? is ebay the only way

Zodiac 3/9/05 05:55 PM

Originally posted by King Taco@March 9, 2005, 7:31 PM
Sounds kinda awrite....some bang for the buck action right there.....can someone plz tell me how to find these GT muffs????? is ebay the only way

You could always message Kevin (05stangkc) and see what kind of deal he can get for you on one. Other than that I think you're best bet is ebay. Maybe someone with aftermarket mufflers here on the boards would be willing to sell you one?

6 Banger 3/13/05 06:05 PM

Well I had to see and hear it to believe it. I bought a pair of GT mufflers off ebay, paid 47.00 for the pair. I recieved them in 4 days, like brand new and in excellent condition. I put the left muffler I recieved on the self for possible future use. I removed my stock six cylinder muffler and put on the right side GT muffler and could not believe the sound it made..........music to my ears.........a significate difference right from the start. Sounds great and looks great! Took about 1 hour to do the swap on my back with standard tools. I also painted the muffler (not the stainless tip), with some high heat black to hide the muffler and define the SS tip more. I would definetly recommend this quick and easy inexpensive upgrade to any V-6 owner It does not sound like a Honda fart can, it has a great deep growl to it and won't drive you crazy with interior noise.....now if I can only find a good deal on some GT bullit wheel take-offs........hhhhhhhmmmmm

Zodiac 3/13/05 06:09 PM

Originally posted by 6 Banger@March 13, 2005, 8:08 PM
Well I had to see and hear it to believe it. I bought a pair of GT mufflers off ebay, paid 47.00 for the pair. I recieved them in 4 days, like brand new and in excellent condition. I put the left muffler I recieved on the self for possible future use. I removed my stock six cylinder muffler and put on the right side GT muffler and could not believe the sound it made..........music to my ears.........a significate difference right from the start. Sounds great and looks great! Took about 1 hour to do the swap on my back with standard tools. I also painted the muffler (not the stainless tip), with some high heat black to hide the muffler and define the SS tip more. I would definetly recommend this quick and easy inexpensive upgrade to any V-6 owner It does not sound like a Honda fart can, it has a great deep growl to it and won't drive you crazy with interior noise.....now if I can only find a good deal on some GT bullit wheel take-offs........hhhhhhhmmmmm

Awesome dude, Im glad you love the new sound and took the leap making the change! And to think that we here at TMS might have encourage it, just brings a tear to my eye :nice:

dynaflash 3/14/05 07:07 PM

on e-bay now 600.00 buy it now. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
dont know about freight??

Originally posted by 6 Banger@March 13, 2005, 8:08 PM

jsheehan 3/15/05 10:40 AM

I think $600 is a very good price for those, especially considering the fact that you get brand new tires with them. You have to think that if you plan on buying new rims you will also have to buy new tires and pay to have them mounted and balanced. This saves you that hassel. All you have to do is unbox the rims and tires, and jack te car up and change them out.

dynaflash 3/15/05 04:00 PM

I have priced the tires alone that the GT has stock. The tires with mount and balance is over 600.00, so in this case the wheels are free. I put them on my car and love them, Thanks M

Originally posted by jsheehan@March 15, 2005, 12:43 PM
I think $600 is a very good price for those, especially considering the fact that you get brand new tires with them. You have to think that if you plan on buying new rims you will also have to buy new tires and pay to have them mounted and balanced. This saves you that hassel. All you have to do is unbox the rims and tires, and jack te car up and change them out.