Stock v6 + GT Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/05, 02:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Zodiac@March 8, 2005, 10:52 PM
Found this while roaming the net..

http://home.comcast.net/~rick.prince...g-05/Audio.wma
That would be mine!! I've had it about 4 months now and not had any problems with it burning the rear fascia at all. I had a local muffler shop install it for $25. I've updated the sound bite and created a site just for my car at:
http://www.mustang-sally.net/

Here's the new sound bite as well..
http://www.mustang-sally.net/videos/my05-sound-1.wma
Old 4/14/05, 03:31 PM

Sounds good and deep. I'm planning on doing this mod too. One question, why do mufflers make that "popping" noise when parked and reved? My stock v6 muffler does it too, if i rev it in neutral.
Old 4/14/05, 05:39 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by battery198@April 14, 2005, 5:34 PM
Sounds good and deep. I'm planning on doing this mod too. One question, why do mufflers make that "popping" noise when parked and reved? My stock v6 muffler does it too, if i rev it in neutral.
Hummm, I was down at a meet in Orlando with over 70 stangs and even the V8's (GT's, Mach 1's, and Cobra's) had that popping sound to some degree? .
Old 4/14/05, 07:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would say any popping comming from the exhaust is from a lack of back pressure.. but I really cant say for sure in this case.
Old 4/14/05, 07:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You only get the popping when you are reving it up out of gear, with no load on the engine. Maybe it has to do with the engine reving so fast?
Old 4/14/05, 07:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I installed the right side GT muffler and really liked it. But, I was going to replace it with a MAC single axle-back. I ordered it and never installed it, deciding to go another route. Selling it now on ebay at a loss.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=7968555053
Old 4/19/05, 11:03 PM
GT Member

Just switched out my muffler today, took about 15 min. kind of a pain getting the V6 muffler off, but once you do the GT muffler goes up easy. Sounds sweet, the SS tip looks good too. Went to the store, hubby saw a 04 GT, sounded about the same with his duels. We're already talking about getting the stuff for duels.
can't wait. By the way winterhawk love your site your ride is awsome
Old 4/21/05, 12:19 PM
GT Member

No problem with clearance here, tip looks great.
Old 4/21/05, 12:46 PM

I put mine on and it was a little too close, only about 1/4" clearance, I ran it that way for 2 days, but got worried, and took off and bent the mounting arms. It now has about 3/4" clearance, and sounds very good.
Old 4/21/05, 12:58 PM
GT Member

I have at least 3/4 in clearance. Bumper isn't even warm after driving the 45 min's to work. Love the sound cant wait to do duals, and hear it in stereo
Old 5/3/05, 02:59 PM
Cobra Member

ok so I have the GT takeoffs, waiting install.
I am thinking about doing the right side myself. Do I use the mounting hangers from the V-6 muffler or do I need new ones?
Once I get that I may inquire about installing the second so I can have duels..
Old 5/3/05, 03:19 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by kevinv-6@May 3, 2005, 3:02 PM
ok so I have the GT takeoffs, waiting install.
I am thinking about doing the right side myself. Do I use the mounting hangers from the V-6 muffler or do I need new ones?
Once I get that I may inquire about installing the second so I can have duels..
ues the same hangers, just a simple switch, it's a pain to get the v6 off, but once it's off the GT goes up easily in its place, only 2 of the 3 hangers are used, and the vibration dampener comes off with the V6 and is not used.
Old 5/4/05, 03:09 PM

Installed mine today, No problems what so ever. Sounds great and I would swear it is hitting the line a little harder.

I did notice that at first the tip was rather close to the bumber cut-out, but once I pushed the muffler completely on to the existing cat-back pipe, the clearence opened a bit. Did not need to do any bracket bending or anything.
Old 5/4/05, 11:21 PM
Cobra Member

very informative!! thank you all so much!!!
Old 5/5/05, 05:31 PM
GT Member

Hello ppl, wat do u think....I thought about painting my GT muffler flat black and leaving the tip as is....how u think that'd look?
Old 5/5/05, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think Flowmaster painted the body of their GT mufflers black. I haven't seen them installed though.
Old 5/5/05, 10:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by hamidlmt@May 5, 2005, 9:00 PM
I think Flowmaster painted the body of their GT mufflers black. I haven't seen them installed though.
Yup they did, looks awesome on a black car. This would be really cheap and easy to do, and Ill admit ive thought about it before myself. I say go for it!
Old 5/10/05, 03:59 PM
Cobra Member

Bouncing this thread back up...

I also bought the Casco muffler GT take-offs off of eBay. Shipping was very quick and the mufflers look like new. I swapped the right side muffler, it took 31 minutes. A word of advice, don't try to slip the muffler out of the hangars, just unbolt the hangars from the frame, it's a lot easier. Unbolt the hangars first, then unclamp the muffler and wiggle it out of the exhaust pipe. Put the hangars on the GT muffler, slip the muffler into the exhaust pipe (don't tighten the clamp yet), reattach the brackets and tighten the clamp. Done! The muffler sounds better right away, but seems to mellow even more after a couple hundred miles. It is amazing how much it sounds like a V8. Really a great mod for the money.

I'm going to install the left side muffler as well. I've done searches on Kevin's site and Fordparts.com for the bracket part number (4r3z5a246aa) and turn up nothing. I sent Kevin an email. Once I get the brackets I'll hang the muffler myself and trim the opening in the valance, then have a muffler shop fab a Y into the main pipe behind the stock Y from the cats.

I attached a pic of the right side muffler. Will attach another once I get the left side installed.
Old 5/11/05, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

I got an email from Kevin, the brackets are a special order item. The bolts are not yet available, so they'll have to be sourced from a hardware store. I've got two left over from the stock right-side muffler, but I need two more. If you source them locally, make sure to use hardware that is either stainless steel, galvanized or cadmium plated for rust prevention.

By the way, someone commented earlier in this thread that he had trouble trying to bolt the brackets in place on the frame. If you look at the frame, there are lugs installed to bolt into, but they are NOT threaded. The factory bolts will tap the lugs, but you have to really put some pressure on. Either that or use an air gun, but be careful to get the bolt aligned properly.
Old 5/13/05, 12:58 AM
Cobra Member

ok so I finally swapped out the V-6 muffler with a GT takeoff today!
thanks to everyone on here for posting instructions and tips, it made it real easy. Took me about 35 minutes.
The muffler lines up perfect, no fitment issues or clearance problems. Sounds great and call me crazy but I swear the car feels stronger and faster!
Here are three pictures of the new muffler different angles. It looks better than the stock muffler did, I even had the chrome tip on the old one and it still didnt stick out this far!

Quick Reply: Stock v6 + GT Muffler