V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Stock v6 + GT Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/05, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 05stangkc+March 28, 2005, 3:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05stangkc @ March 28, 2005, 3:51 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by DarkHorse05@March 28, 2005, 1:49 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Tiberius1701
@March 22, 2005, 6:37 PM
Thought you all would like to see a pic of the muffler installed. I am not sure if the tip hangs out too far-feedback would be appreciated!

Hello All!
I am a new member and I picked up my Black '05 V6 manual in December. I bought the GT mufflers off ebay and installed the right side one. It sounds great and I noticed a slight increase in power. My question is, does anyone else's exhaust tip rub up against the bumper? Mine does and I'm worried that it might melt or warp the bumper cutout. Is this an issue or does the exhaust tip not get hot enough to cause any harm? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
It will melt your cover! Loosen the Headpipe and reposition so tip points down! You may also need to bend the mounting arms! You need about a half an inch air space!

kc
[/b][/quote]

Yep it will melt the bumper - guess how I know.

Personally I feel like Casco misrepresented the GT muffler as a simple bolt-on installation so I'm not happy. Not only does it touch the bumper but it sticks out 1 or 2 inches further than it should IMO.

As far as sound and performance, I think it sounds a little deeper and a little louder, but I'm not sure if it sounds better, and so far I have not noticed an increase in power (but I'm not sure if I would unless it was fairly significant).

Anyhow, stupid question: how do I "loosen the Headpipe"? It would probably help if I knew which part the headpipe is..
Old 3/29/05, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by hamidlmt@March 29, 2005, 12:58 AM
Right side GT muffler installed on my redfire V6... Sounds great! Nice and throaty! It's rainy here in Oregon (and the car needs a wash), so I haven't driven around much yet, but there seems to be a bit more pep. I unhooked the negative battery terminal for a few minutes, then recorded a few revs.

http://transcendingtouch.com/mustang...gtmuffler1.mp3

May I ask why you unhooked your battery? (i'm not very mechanical)
Old 3/29/05, 07:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by toronado+March 29, 2005, 6:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toronado @ March 29, 2005, 6:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by 05stangkc@March 28, 2005, 3:51 PM
Originally posted by DarkHorse05@March 28, 2005, 1:49 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Tiberius1701
@March 22, 2005, 6:37 PM
Thought you all would like to see a pic of the muffler installed. I am not sure if the tip hangs out too far-feedback would be appreciated!

Hello All!
I am a new member and I picked up my Black '05 V6 manual in December. I bought the GT mufflers off ebay and installed the right side one. It sounds great and I noticed a slight increase in power. My question is, does anyone else's exhaust tip rub up against the bumper? Mine does and I'm worried that it might melt or warp the bumper cutout. Is this an issue or does the exhaust tip not get hot enough to cause any harm? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

It will melt your cover! Loosen the Headpipe and reposition so tip points down! You may also need to bend the mounting arms! You need about a half an inch air space!

kc
Yep it will melt the bumper - guess how I know.

Personally I feel like Casco misrepresented the GT muffler as a simple bolt-on installation so I'm not happy. Not only does it touch the bumper but it sticks out 1 or 2 inches further than it should IMO.

As far as sound and performance, I think it sounds a little deeper and a little louder, but I'm not sure if it sounds better, and so far I have not noticed an increase in power (but I'm not sure if I would unless it was fairly significant).

Anyhow, stupid question: how do I "loosen the Headpipe"? It would probably help if I knew which part the headpipe is..
[/b][/quote]
Ouch! Sorry to hear that dude...

I'm not sure that I agree about Casco misrepresenting anything though. Oh well... since I don't have a GT mufler on my V-6 I suppose its not for me to say.
Old 3/29/05, 08:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Tiberius1701@March 22, 2005, 5:37 PM
I love the way they look!!!!!
Old 3/29/05, 11:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

The GT pipe sits close to the bumper... maybe a half-inch. Takes a bit o' muscle to get it there. I've felt the bumper after a nice long run and it feels cool.
Old 4/1/05, 04:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
sounds cool!!!
Old 4/4/05, 11:45 AM

I managed to re-install my passenger-side GT muffler so that its no longer touching (and melting) my bumper. This was accomplished by removing the muffler and using a long pipe to bend the rear mounting rod up about one inch. When I reinstalled the muffler (easier said than done) the result was a chrome pipe exactly where I wanted it.

Now I'm ready to cut an opening in my bumper and install the driver side muffler. I called the dealership and was given the following product information for the muffler hangers I'll need for the installation:

$49.95 P/N 4R3Z5A246AA
$79.95 P/N 4R325A246CA

I'm surprised it will cost me this much for two mounting brackets. Can anyone suggest a way for me to get a better deal than this?
Old 4/4/05, 11:54 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,785 Likes on 2,062 Posts
Originally posted by toronado@April 4, 2005, 9:48 AM
I managed to re-install my passenger-side GT muffler so that its no longer touching (and melting) my bumper. This was accomplished by removing the muffler and using a long pipe to bend the rear mounting rod up about one inch. When I reinstalled the muffler (easier said than done) the result was a chrome pipe exactly where I wanted it.

Now I'm ready to cut an opening in my bumper and install the driver side muffler. I called the dealership and was given the following product information for the muffler hangers I'll need for the installation:

$49.95 P/N 4R3Z5A246AA Standard Bracket
$79.95 P/N 4R325A246CA Export Bracket

I'm surprised it will cost me this much for two mounting brackets. Can anyone suggest a way for me to get a better deal than this?
The 4r3z5a246aa is the bracket you will need as The CA is an EXPORT part #. Warning I would advise your muffler shop not to weld on the left muffler at the axle. You need to duplicate the setup on the right using the clamps. Also DO NOT REMOVE the Damper on the Exhaust pipe by the driveshaft. Let us all know the Cost and results of your efforts! UPDATED POST

KC
Old 4/4/05, 12:06 PM
Cobra Member

hmm this sounded like an easy job at first, but after hearing tornados story and seeing hamidlmts' picture and him having to "muscle" it in I am not so sure almost seems like it is not worth the trouble.
Old 4/4/05, 12:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

With all the talk about people melting their bumper cover after installing the GT muffler, I thought I would chime in. I installed the GT muffler on my car about a month ago. There is about 1/4" clearance all the way around the tailpipe. I've taken it on some pretty long road trips, and so far no damage to my bumper cover. The tailpipe would have to be just about touching the bumper cover to melt it, as I can get my hand very close to the tailpipe after driving for a while and feel very little heat. I didn't have to muscle the muffler in place or anything. I guess it seems like this mod falls under the category of "redsults may vary."
Old 4/4/05, 12:47 PM

These might be helpful

kc

[attachmentid=16756][attachmentid=16757]
Old 4/5/05, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by 05stangkc@April 4, 2005, 12:50 PM
These might be helpful

kc

[attachmentid=16756][attachmentid=16757]
might be helpful? that may have been the most helpful reply I've ever seen in a mb. THANK YOU!

Now I'm wondering if I could get away with ordering only one of the muffler hangers? This will only make sense if you look closely at the V6 exhaust diagram but I wonder if I can hang one end of my muffler with the 5277/5A262 hanger which was the 3rd hanger on the V6 muffler I removed and hang the other end with the 5A204 bracket which I'll need to order. (trying to do things on the cheap here)
Old 4/5/05, 08:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

I am pretty sure you can reuse the third V6 muffler hanger for the driver side muffler, as that is what Magnaflow says to do in the instructions for installing their V6 dual exhaust catback system.
Old 4/5/05, 09:29 AM

You will need two brackets! The Gt Muffler only has two hangers and the v8 does not have the third different style bracket!

kc
Old 4/6/05, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by jsheehan@April 4, 2005, 1:40 PM
With all the talk about people melting their bumper cover after installing the GT muffler, I thought I would chime in. I installed the GT muffler on my car about a month ago. There is about 1/4" clearance all the way around the tailpipe. I've taken it on some pretty long road trips, and so far no damage to my bumper cover. The tailpipe would have to be just about touching the bumper cover to melt it, as I can get my hand very close to the tailpipe after driving for a while and feel very little heat. I didn't have to muscle the muffler in place or anything. I guess it seems like this mod falls under the category of "redsults may vary."
I adjusted my muffler and I have about a 1/4 inch clearance now too. It seem to have worked out fine. I've gained about 2 mpg on the last two fill ups. This cheap upgrade will pay for itself in no time. Thank you to everyone for their input.
Old 4/7/05, 08:54 PM
Rik
GT Member

Originally posted by 05stangkc@April 5, 2005, 9:32 AM
You will need two brackets! The Gt Muffler only has two hangers and the v8 does not have the third different style bracket!

kc

How hard would it be for a muffler shop to fabricate the missing hanger?
Old 4/7/05, 09:18 PM

http://terrence-mann.com/mustang/muffler/

The Coffin Muffler Sound clips

kc
Old 4/12/05, 10:40 AM

I just got done doing this modification (well, yesterday) and have to say it really was a pretty easy mod. It took me about an hour and 45 minutes to do though.

Once I figured out I had to completely remove the one hanger bracket closest to the exhast pipe from the frame and then had to push up on the actual exhaust pipe to get it to come out of the muffler, it was smooth sailing from there.

Sounds great btw (as others have mentioned).
Old 4/13/05, 01:42 PM

Just bought the gt muffler from casco today for my V6 and was wondering if any one has put the mass damper over from the original muffler and does it make a differance? Also how about the third hanger should that be transfered or just lift off?
Old 4/13/05, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by wprint@April 13, 2005, 1:45 PM
Just bought the gt muffler from casco today for my V6 and was wondering if any one has put the mass damper over from the original muffler and does it make a differance? Also how about the third hanger should that be transfered or just lift off?
I think I read somewhere that you don't want to do the damper on the GT muffler. Can't remember where, though.

As far as the third hanger goes, unless you can weld it onto the GT muffler, there's no where to put it. The other two slide right into the existing hangers.

Quick Reply: Stock v6 + GT Muffler