V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

reflashing with cai (air intake) replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/06, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what happens if you don't re flash with a new cai set up? pepboys has parts to put together your own cai, filters, maf adapters, you name they have it. I want to make one today. but what happens if i don't buy a tuner a reflash the pcm? will i hurt the car? will it hurt performance?

I am leaving to go do this in 45 minutes so if someone can answer fast they would make my day. and maybe even save me some headaches
Old 2/3/06, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I would be careful building one myself - the MAF sensor has to be placed right, otherwise you might get the Check Engine Light and get some other unpredictable results. Having said that, there are CAI manufacturers that do not require computer reflash, which btw might void your warranty on many things. So if they can get it right, so can you. However you need to be sure that you can get it right. Also some of the CAI's out there are under $200 (MAC I think). AFE was $200 shipped on e-bay the other day.
Old 2/3/06, 11:11 AM
Cobra R Member

not to mention one from pepboys will look like one from pepboys. For maybe half the price? if you are lucky. A real cai will look much better. K&N intakes on ebay for like $215. Thats where i got mine.
Old 2/3/06, 02:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
BAD idea...you might get away with this if you had the Pepboys Franken-take professionally dyno tuned....but there go your "savings"

As it is this is NOT something you want to do with mix and match parts. The computer in these cars has VERY little leeway for unexpected airflow conditions.

Best case scenario: you built something that sort of approximates the factory flow. Car runs but you get little if any gains.

Worst case: You come up with something that does increase flow significantly. The car probably won't run smoothly, and if you seriously lean out the fuel mix, you can cause serious and permanent engine damage.

Just not worth it imho.
Old 2/3/06, 04:48 PM
V6 Member

Use the stock intake tube, leave the stock MAF in place, and buy yourself a K&N style cone-shaped air filter that will fit into the stock tube, and under the hood, with or without adaptors (you may need to bracket the filter for support). It should not void your warranty, it should not hurt engine, and it should not need a re-flash. You may need to re-set the the car's computer by disconnecting the battery negative for ten-minutes, reconnecting it, warming the car up at idle for ten-minutes, and then driving for about ten miles. You should notice some improved throttle response, but don't expect much hp until you also run higher octane fuel and then reflash with a higher octane tune.
Old 2/3/06, 04:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T-stang @ February 3, 2006, 6:51 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Use the stock intake tube, leave the stock MAF in place, and buy yourself a K&N style cone-shaped air filter that will fit into the stock tube, and under the hood, with or without adaptors (you may need to bracket the filter for support). It should not void your warranty, it should not hurt engine, and it should not need a re-flash. You may need to re-set the the car's computer by disconnecting the battery negative for ten-minutes, reconnecting it, warming the car up at idle for ten-minutes, and then driving for about ten miles. You should notice some improved throttle response, but don't expect much hp until you also run higher octane fuel and then reflash with a higher octane tune.
[/b][/quote]

That won't work. The stock MAF housing is molded right into the airbox lid. He'd still need to use an aftermarket MAF housing, or cut up the stock airbox.

If he wants to do it on the cheap, the best bet might be to just get the flat K&N filter element for the existing airbox.
Old 2/4/06, 09:00 AM
V6 Member

@P:

Temporary brain freeze: you're right, he would have to cut the neck off the stock lid, so I see your point: a drop in K&N would be a lot easier.
Old 2/4/06, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T-stang @ February 4, 2006, 11:03 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
@P:

Temporary brain freeze: you're right, he would have to cut the neck off the stock lid, so I see your point: a drop in K&N would be a lot easier.
[/b][/quote]

I still got mine (K&N filter) laying around if someone wants it, its in my stock airbox in the garage.
Old 2/4/06, 10:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T-stang @ February 4, 2006, 11:03 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
@P:

[/b][/quote]

Other than that issue, it was a pretty decent suggestion [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]