V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Pony Package Retrofit - Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/05, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I hate to bring up this topic because the "posing" begins. As I'm looking into options for foglights on my car, the 06 Pony Package is becoming a better looking option. Obviously there are the aftermarket options like the Street Scene or a home done job. There is the GT replacement, and then finally there is the 06 Pony package.

I'm not entirely sure which way to go now. I was sold on the Street Scene, and now I'm wavering. I'm starting to like the Pony Grille also, and so as I start to think about it, there is a waterfall of questions that form.

I'm sure the 06 folks will kick me for starting this topic, but... It's going to happen sooner or later. It might as well happen now. I started thinking about what it would entail to perform this swap should I ever go that route.

1) Replacing the main grille - The bumper looks the same on the Pony, so I'm guessing the grille would be a snap in thing. Nothing tough there.

2) Lamps would need to be purchased and tossed in. No biggie.

3) Lower inserts are different - also a snap in thing

--------- One of our dealer friends will inevitably post a list of part numbers about which parts need to be replaced to do this swap and list the prices. ----------------

4) Wiring harness and switch.... Uh oh! Red flag! Here's where my fun begins!

We've already established that the controller box (Smart box?) is different on the V6 and GT models to allow for the fogs. How will the pony package wire in? Does anyone have facts or speculation? I'm wondering how all of those interrested in said pony package upgrade will be ABLE to do this upgrade per the factory setup. Ultimately I'm sure you could wire up a simple switch and call it done. I'd rather have the factory setup myself though, and so I'm concerned about how this could pan out.

Does anyone have any details or schematics about how the wiring will work out? I'm sure a lot of us are considering this option and if there is a somewhat simple replacement setup to run these wires, I'm sure TONS of people will flock to dealers for installation and/or parts (myself quite possibly included). I'm hoping that ultimately I could give my dealer a list of parts and say - "Order these, let me know when they're in, and I'll bring the car in".

I'm sure that's too much to ask though. I'll come up with something one way or another. I'm not one to be thwarted when coming up against something I want. It just seems like I'm reading posts about people swapping out ALL KINDS of stuff on their cars. Everything from the My Color gagues to mufflers, to IUP and the Shaker 500. It's all stuff I paid for when I got my car. Now I want this one upgrade and I'm fearing that it will take an act of congress to make it happen. I guess we'll see. Can anyone offer some insight?
Old 7/20/05, 12:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

My guess is as good as yours on how it'll work, but I think the switch will work the same way as the GT, and obvuisly sport different wiring.
I think it'l be easily obtainable, maybe some dealers will have it as a dealer option if car's don't get them from factory.
I would love to wait to see their switch, so I can have a factory harness, then now I just need to make my own mind of which route I'll take for the fog look.
Old 7/20/05, 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I didn't even think of that. If by some miracle they come up with a special switch and wiring setup that differs, then perhaps it is something we could all apply to aftermarket setups even if they aren't stock. HM! Food for thought! The plot thickens! Good thinkin' Manny!
Old 7/20/05, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as the wiring is concerned, my plan is to do it very simply:
1.) come off somewhere near the power block with an in-line 15amp fuse and 14 gauge wire.
2.) run that to a simple toggle switch under the dash, also rated for 15 amp.
3.) further run that same power to a 15 amp relay located out in the grille area.
4.) hook-up the "switch" end of that relay to a parking light circuit.
5.) finally, hook-up the output of the relay to the fog lights.
The advantage of this sort of setup is as follows:
1.) I can't accidentally leave my fog lights on, as the relay powers down when I shut-off my headlights.
2.) I can run my parking lights & fog lights in the daytime as a safety feature.
3.) I can use my under-dash switch to shut-off the fog lights if I just want my parking lights.
4.) I can run the fog lights with either high or low beams.
Best of all, you will always have a "headlight-on warning chime", which you would not get if you just wired directly from the power block / switch / fog light power pathway.
On another topic, I have ordered and received my 3D Carbon Boy Racer Wing. It is very nice. I did take the opportunity to talk withy 3D Carbon to ask them about a fog light replacement grille for the V6, and they tell me that they should have one out very soon. So yes, there is another option to ponder. Estimated availability is sometime in September.
Thanks; Brian.
Old 7/20/05, 01:28 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Phillip, man, I thought for sure you'd be doing the Street Scenes grille, you seemed pretty excited about it! I agree with your assessment that the '06 grille will be a direct replacement. I've analyzed the photos and see no front end differences. If it were me, I'd stick with the stock lower grille as IMO it matches the new upper grille better.

On the wiring, I am guessing that the '06 will have a different wiring harness than the '05. The guy on eBay that sells the GT-to-V6 grille conversion also sells a wiring harness with switch & everything. If the Pony Package lights use the same plug as the GT lights, that harness would make the whole thing plug-and-play. It's pricey at 100 bucks, but looks factory stock once installed.

I've also read that some people are using a relay from Pep Boys (I think) that is wireless and costs around 30 bucks. Apparently the lights operate off a remote using that setup.
Old 7/20/05, 04:09 PM
Queen Of Nascar

One thing about the 06 grille is that there will be tons of them driving around eventually....there are lots of pony packages sold on these cars. I don't think you will see near as many SS grilles which in my opinion would make your car more unique. Just my .02.
Old 7/20/05, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah... I'm not totally sold either way. I'm flipping back and forth on the issue. I've been pulling so strongly for the Street Scene grille, and now I'm kinda like.... I dunno which way to go! LOL! I've got LOTS of time to figure it out though. I'm really not planning on making any major changes to this car until at the soonest Christmas of this year.

That's several months to wait and see what I like. I'm a patient planner. I wait until I see what's what before diving in. Lots of other folks like to be the first ones to make that leap. Me? While not always being the first on the block to have a new toy... I make sure that once I have it... it's worth keeping.

My wife is a bit tempered by the Street Scene grille. She says it looks trashy to her and if she had her way, it would be the pony package.

That little nay-sayer has caused me to waver and wonder. So... now I sit back, wait, and study. I'm sure someone will do the street scene kit before I have the cash to tackle it, so I'll wait and see how it looks from all angles before punching the clock. Like I said... it's not like I have the cash sitting there burning a hole! LOL!

I'm definately intrigued to see what they do with the 06 Pony Pack. I'm sure that the wiring will HAVE to be different. Ultimately, I can always come up with a work around like that harness you mentioned Tres. I'm sure someone will have some fixes for whichever route I decide to go.

I think the thing that has me wavering is that shot on the 06 page of the white V6 w/ pony. That thing just looks awesome, and since I have a white car... it's easy to visualize. I wasn't a huge fan of the pony when it was first revealed. Now... It's kinda growing on me. We'll see though. I've got time.

I'm interrested in getting a few nice shots of the GT grille that you're doing Tres. I've seen several, but I'd be interrested to see how it turns out.

Of course, you're blessed with the fact that it's a black grille on a black car... you would notice the overhang even less. Me? White car/black grille... you see it all!

Thanks for the input. I'm weighing it all out. I'll ramp up on my choice as I get a bit closer to making it. For now... I'm entering "data collection mode". Thanks again!

EDITED: Spelling
Old 7/20/05, 05:41 PM
Cobra Member

==I'm really not planning on making any major changes to this car until at the soonest Christmas of this year.==

You've got a lot more patience than me

==My wife is a bit tempered by the Street Scene grille. She says it looks trashy to her and if she had her way, it would be the pony package.==

I agree with her. I applaud their effort, but that insert does look trashy. It looks like it's made out of a piece of metal lath (you know the stuff? They use it under plaster, and sometimes to fabricate metal stuff on farms, junkyards, etc.) If they made a nice dimensional billet insert for it, it would be much better. But looking over their site it looks like they use that same flat metal on ALL their grilles.

==I think the thing that has me wavering is that shot on the 06 page of the white V6 w/ pony. That thing just looks awesome, and since I have a white car... it's easy to visualize.==

It looks fantastic in the picture you're talking about. But I think they took some liberties with the grille. The grille has HUGE honeycombs in it, and you'll be able to see right through it. In that picture, you should be seeing the radiator, horns, misc. bolt heads, etc. They've either photoshopped it or they put something behind the grille when they took that pic.

==I'm interrested in getting a few nice shots of the GT grille that you're doing Tres.==

I'll take lots of pics It's a waiting game now, hurry up mailman!
Old 7/21/05, 06:31 AM
Bullitt Member

LOL! Yes! Hurry up mailman! CONFOUND YOU MAIL MAN!

I agree with her. I applaud their effort, but that insert does look trashy. It looks like it's made out of a piece of metal lath (you know the stuff? They use it under plaster, and sometimes to fabricate metal stuff on farms, junkyards, etc.) If they made a nice dimensional billet insert for it, it would be much better. But looking over their site it looks like they use that same flat metal on ALL their grilles.
You know... it's funny you should say that because that's about what she said (only not so pleasantly). I guess that's why I'm a bit torn. I'll keep my eyes open looking for solutions. SOMETHING is bound to come along.

You've got a lot more patience than me
Yeah... I'm a heck of a patient person. That's why I love the web so much. It indulges my need for information and helps me to ensure I make the right moves. It's tough. Trust me... if I had more money in pocket, I would have a much HARDER time being restrained. I'm not too impulsive though. I'm cautious and watchful. Mostly I am the one that learns from others' mistakes.

Thanks for the thoughts. I guess that makes my delema that much more apparent. I'm sure that folks in the aftermarket will reward those with patience. Over time, you'll be able to get just about ANYTHING for these cars, so I'm staying reserved and not jumping.

I know I'm going to get the GT take-off wheels for sure. Perhaps I'll do that first and THEN do the grille later after some time has lapsed and a completely pleasing solution is around
Old 7/23/05, 04:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The pony package grille has grown on me also and I do plan to do a conversion eventually, granted it won't be too difficult, that is. I am definitely getting some '06 pony emblems for the sides. I don't think its posing. I just think it makes the car more retro--which is why I bought it
Old 7/25/05, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I've started paying closer and closer attention to the front ends of the 05's lately. I've had the privilage of staring into the rearview at a fellow V6'er (a story that will soon be told). As I stared into the rearview... I couldn't help but notice how AWESOME the front end of the car looks. Since all I do is drive mine (never ride next to it, infront of it, or behind it) I never get to see the various angles.

In this extended study of the car, I really found that I'm enjoying every inch of the exterior just as Ford Made her. I'm falling in love with the car all over again, and suddenly I have a new appreciation for the beauty of the stock V6's. The mouth is so big and agressive looking. It's tough to describe.

Needless to say, I have now bumped ANY external mods way down the list EXCEPT for some GT take off rims. I think that would make this car look SICK. I've seen lots of folks add them and they just look so perfect on the car. I may add something involving lights later, but I think for now, I have kindled a new love of the exterior of my car.

I would feel heart broken if I were to try and change her right now. It's wierd, I know, because I've been an advocate of the fogs literally from day one.

Yet now... I'm all about the clean look on the outside of the car. It's easy to add things... tough (sometimes) to subtract. I think I'll keep her plain for now and if I feel like changing it up later... perhaps I'll consider it.

I think the real turn around for me was seeing a local dealership's lot FULL of fully modified BRAND NEW V6's sitting there. They all had body kits, dualed out exhaust, crazy rims and some of them had tires that looked like they belonged on a 4x4. After seing that and spending the time looking at the one in my rearview, I realized how cool these cars really are just the way they come.

What a great blank palette to work with! For those that want to modify and add... they can. for those that like it plain... they get their wish. It's a beautiful thing!
Old 7/25/05, 04:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I was the guy behind Stanger X and after doing some crusing this weekend I have to admit Stanger has a point. The car looks so awsome. Maybe after some time passes I might want to change it a bit too but for now the exterior of the car ROCKS THE PATY. :rock: