V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

non-warranty affecting HP increasing mods

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/05, 11:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by justgreat@April 26, 2005, 4:06 AM
regarding the k/n filter: i recently cleaned and oiled the k/n filter, using the prescribed cleaning and oiling procedure set forth by the manfr and i had driveability problems in my 86 honda 700c MOTORCYCLE after reinstalling the cleaned filter. the induction system and the plugs were very sensitive to the amount of oil applied to the filter. i can assure you that the filter was not "dripping with oil" by any means and i needed to take the filter out and let it sit overnight to "breath". i reinstalled it the next day (there was no excess oil on the paper underneath the filter) and the motor cleared itself out and is now fine.

i did some follow up research and sure enough, the motor is quite sensitive to the amount of oil on the filtration element. now, this is a non fuel injected engine with no catalyst: this should be some cause for concern before installing some after market part on your vehicle.

by the way, i bought the k/n when i originally purchased the bike back in 86'...before i got hip to using non oem parts. jackg 90seville 96k
Well, your post points out the exact problem you had: I don't know if it is in the instructions or not, but you really should let your filter sit out overnight after cleaning and re-oiling it. If you slp it back in right after you re-oil it, you are going to have problems.
Old 4/26/05, 11:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by justgreat@April 26, 2005, 4:15 AM
sorry for the ongoing post: what i have found regarding the shifting of the power band by the use of aftermatker induction and exhaust systems was the initial response of the engine was diminished by the changes that i made (76 alfa romeo 2.0 4 cylinder twin cam). right off idle, up to 2200 rpm or so there was a hole in the power band. at that rpm range there is no lower gear...i'm already in 1st . now, the induction system was quite well engineered: inside the k/n filter which was huge compared to the stock filter there were four individual steel air horns which absolutely helped the top end of the rev range but for around town it was a dog compared to the oem setup.

these are just my experiences with after market mods and may have no bearing on the 4.0 cologne...just some food for thought. jackg 90seville 96k
I think what he meant by using gearing was changing the geear in the rear end. If you shift power up in the RPM range, you can use a lower rear end gear to bring your driving speeds in line with the new power band, plus take advantage of the torque multiplication effect of the gearing.
Old 4/26/05, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by herstang@April 26, 2005, 11:20 AM
I would like to know who determines if the filter is excessively oiled Obviously this will be used as an excuse for dealers to not warranty items. Someone should forward that letter to SEMA and K&N. On the other hand I know I have seen more than my fair share of over oiled filters in the past, and yes any oil, or other contaminents on the MAF will cause it to go bad.
Looks like K&N knows and is fighting with full force!

FROM K&N WEBSITE

Over-oiling

When servicing a K&N filter, take care not to over-oil the element. Besides impeding air flow, excess oil can migrate into the intake system where it can coat electronic sensors, which some OEM’s claim may hinder the sensors’ operation and result in a repair that will not be covered under warranty. Although K&N disagrees with such claims, as explained in more detail on this website, in order to avoid a dispute with an OEM over the denial of a warranty claim, we suggest that you be careful not to over-oil your K&N air filter. Never saturate the filter. If oil drips from the filter, wash it and start over. Use only K&N oil. For example, an E-1500 filter has 92.4-inches of surface area requiring 1.707 fluid ounces of oil. Follow oiling instructions included with your filter or refer to the instructions listed here.

Old 4/27/05, 12:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jsheehan+April 26, 2005, 12:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jsheehan @ April 26, 2005, 12:51 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-justgreat@April 26, 2005, 4:15 AM
sorry for the ongoing post: what i have found regarding the shifting of the power band by the use of aftermatker induction and exhaust systems was the initial response of the engine was diminished by the changes that i made (76 alfa romeo 2.0 4 cylinder twin cam). right off idle, up to 2200 rpm or so there was a hole in the power band. at that rpm range there is no lower gear...i'm already in 1st . now, the induction system was quite well engineered: inside the k/n filter which was huge compared to the stock filter there were four individual steel air horns which absolutely helped the top end of the rev range but for around town it was a dog compared to the oem setup.

these are just my experiences with after market mods and may have no bearing on the 4.0 cologne...just some food for thought. jackg 90seville 96k
I think what he meant by using gearing was changing the geear in the rear end. If you shift power up in the RPM range, you can use a lower rear end gear to bring your driving speeds in line with the new power band, plus take advantage of the torque multiplication effect of the gearing.
[/b][/quote]

Bingo