V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Laundry list of issues

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/05, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a list of issues that have cropped up since Christmas when I bought a V6 for my wife. I know the 1600 RPM vibration and Tip-in hesitation is common but was wondering if anyone has had any of the other issues I list here.
The one I bought has a V6 5spd Auto and no AntiLock about 800 miles on it now.
Thanks in advance,
Doug

1. Vibration at 1600 RPM under load. In Drive with brake on, or any gear while driving under load. Apparently a know problem with all V6s but I have not seen anyone post a cure from Ford.
2. AC compressor not running with AC on, or Defroster.
3. Heavy Rumble vibration from blower motor (shakes dash, no way to miss this if it happens) when climate control set to floor/vent, blower on high, and recirculate is on.
It sounds like the air door is hitting the blower cage. The easiest way to recreated this is with the car on a fairly steep hill facing down hill and the controls set as stated.
4. Tip in Hesitaion (not to bad yet)
5. Whine in drive train during deceleration (any gear and Neutral) I assume it is coming from the Rear
6. Safety Issue: Plastic under steering column is razor sharp. It removes large chunks of skin from the left index finger, if the thumb is used to lower tilt wheel.
Old 1/19/05, 06:12 PM
GT Member

I have the vibration at 1600, only when the car is moving, no vibration any other time and it's not really a vibration it is deffinately coming from the exhaust system. No trouble with A/C, no blower vibrations, hesitation is minor and I think a by product of the "fly by wire" so to speak, throttle. I can hear a whine from the rear end at a very specific MPH range. 60-65 and it is not accel/ decell dependant. All gear sets whine, the amount of whine is of course dependant on the set up. I really think the problem I have is more a sound deading problem, in other words not enough insulation. If it was a setup problem it would whine over more of a MPH range and it would be accel /deccel dependant. The sound I get from my rear end is a constant low whine wether accelerating or decellerating and only between 60-65. I suppose it could be a bearing problem, but I think not, at least at this time anyway. I'll have to check out the sharp edges around the tilt lock, so far I haven't been injured, so I thank you for pointing out the potential before I do.
Old 1/19/05, 07:35 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I have garden variety BS on mine......
Shaker bad, transmission slips going into 3rd..Clunk noise on reverse sometimes.

Ac defroster and all work perfect on her though.
Old 1/19/05, 08:13 PM

no problems here
Old 1/19/05, 09:17 PM

1. Whine during deceleration.
2. Passenger airbag turns off when someone is sitting in the passenger seat.
3. Rear end hops when cornering.
4. Gas tank issue.
Old 1/20/05, 04:58 AM
GT Member

hmmm...a whole host of annoyances,hey?...well, the vibration is tough to diagnose and easy to fix, generally, when it's finally diagnosed correctly.it's especially tough since we don't have any manuals to compare it to. my geuss would be the driveshaft being out of balance...but; generally a driveshaft imbalance is felt at higher engine speeds. one way to check for vebration, if you can find the resources, is to put the car on a dyno and observe the driveshaft with a strobe light (possibly a timing light might be effective). if the d/s is out of balance, you will see the shake with the light.

the initial hesitation on the accelerator pedal is due to the elctronic throttle control (drive by wire)...don't think there's much you can do
about it since it is all part of the emmission control system.

the tip in if i understand the way you're using that phrase, applies to the engagement of the accelerator pedal and how much travel the pedal must go through in order to accelerate quickly. if that's what you're talking about, again, there's not much thatcan be done..it's simply a matter of design philosophy: german cars typically have alot of tip in and american car don't: step on the pedal of my caddy and the acceleration is immediate and it's not just the v8 it's the degree of opening the throttle plates relative to the movement of the go pedal. it's something you must acclimate yourself to. jackg 90seville 96k
Old 1/20/05, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by justgreat@January 20, 2005, 6:01 AM
my geuss would be the driveshaft being out of balance...but; generally a driveshaft imbalance is felt at higher engine speeds.

the initial hesitation on the accelerator pedal is due to the elctronic throttle control (drive by wire)...don't think there's much you can do
about it since it is all part of the emmission control system.

the tip in if i understand the way you're using that phrase, applies to the engagement of the accelerator pedal and how much travel the pedal must go through in order to accelerate quickly.
Not a drive shaft problem, this is exhaust resonace. It will do it in drive, brake on, car standing still, bring engine up to 1600 RPM. I am sure it will get fixed since it seem most V6s have the same problem and ford has already (was in place at when I took deliver) has a huge damper weight on the exhaust system at about mid point in it's length.
Tip-in hesitation is a term used to describe a hesitation as you just start to accelerate from a stop. Old ford with carb (including mustangs) had this problem all the time back in the day! They could have left this retro feature out ;-)
I am sorry but my 94 Sundance Duster does not hesitate and it has over 100,000 miles on it, I really don't think a 2005 with 800 miles on should hesitate. I can't do anything about it, but I think Ford should. This is all new and it will take time for Ford to collect data and find fixs for things that will work every time. I just wanted to see how wide spread the A/C thing was, or if I am having my normal bad luck with new stuff.
Thanks
Doug
Old 1/20/05, 06:33 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by OCmustang@January 19, 2005, 10:20 PM
3. Rear end hops when cornering.
How fast are you going when you get wheel hop? Wheel hop on a SRA is normal during aggressive corning.
Old 1/20/05, 08:49 AM
GT Member

I get it arround 50 and its not wheel hop but the hole rear end hopping
Old 1/20/05, 09:56 AM
V6 Member

Its rear end shudder. As holderca1 mentioned it is a characteristic common to solid-rear-axles. Fords is the most sophisticated application of this old school setup however. All the testers have mentioned this shudder or hop so your car is just like all the rest I'd say.
Old 1/20/05, 01:12 PM

Guys... this whine on deacceleration -- I think I might hear it as well. It almost sounds like the car is 'powering down' when you deaccelerate -- at least that's how my wife described it. It happens in my car at all speeds no matter what on deacceleration.

Is this something to be concerned about? It doesn't bother me as far as hearing it... but is it symptoms of a problem that will damage the vehicle?
Old 1/20/05, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by msduncan@January 20, 2005, 2:15 PM
Guys... this whine on deacceleration -- I think I might hear it as well. It almost sounds like the car is 'powering down' when you deaccelerate -- at least that's how my wife described it. It happens in my car at all speeds no matter what on deacceleration.

Is this something to be concerned about? It doesn't bother me as far as hearing it... but is it symptoms of a problem that will damage the vehicle?
It is something to mention to the dealer but they are not going to do anything other then say .. oh that is normal. If I had to guess, I would say it's comming from the ring and pinion since it sounds like a turbine (gear whine), and it changes (goes away) when you switch from decel to accel. Probably nothing more then lack of sound proffing, but it bothers me none the less. Just one more reason for that 100,000 mile 6 year extended plan.
Doug
Old 1/27/05, 11:30 AM

You are not alone.....

They replaced my transmission....... because of the whine. I also had numerous emmission light occurrences.I've put more miles going to the dealer than on the road......But I still love that stang...Good Luck
Old 1/28/05, 11:33 AM

I have had several issues, some concerning some not.

1.) Power loss and engine hesitation when coming out of partial stop.
2.) Heater doesn't push much to feet in any of the settings, but when set to push just to floor it is pushing hard out of the dash at the windshield(not the defrost vent though).
3.) Shaker 500 drags or skips or something.
4.) Clunk in reverse.
5.) Gas fueling issue.

I have had into the dealer and they recalibrated the computer???? Didn't change anything.
Old 1/28/05, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by AZ_05STANG@January 28, 2005, 12:36 PM
I have had several issues, some concerning some not.

1.) Power loss and engine hesitation when coming out of partial stop.
2.) Heater doesn't push much to feet in any of the settings, but when set to push just to floor it is pushing hard out of the dash at the windshield(not the defrost vent though).
3.) Shaker 500 drags or skips or something.
4.) Clunk in reverse.
5.) Gas fueling issue.

I have had into the dealer and they recalibrated the computer???? Didn't change anything.
That power loss on partial stop -- I think I had that too. It felt like it was momentarily going to stall, then everything came back. It's only happened once...

What do you think it might be, and should I be super concerned about it?
Old 1/31/05, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by AZ_05STANG@January 28, 2005, 12:36 PM
4.) Clunk in reverse.
I too get a clunk noise in reverse. Also, when I turn my wheel while driving in a very slow speed, I also get a clunk noise. Any idea why????
Old 2/3/05, 05:45 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Ha!
I am not crazy........

Ford dealer told me I was imagining it- it had to happen in front of them to be true.

I am driving a high dollar recall on wheels.
Old 2/3/05, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I also notice a slight "clunk" when I slowly reverse out of a parking space and turn the wheels. Seems that's the only time it happens, so I haven't given it much thought.

My main concern right now is the "sheet metal problem" in the rear quarter panel that makes an annoying ticking sound. The car's currently at the dealer awaiting Ford's direction on this issue. :bang:

I also mentioned the fuel-filling problem. They tell me a newly designed gas tank should be available in April, which will address this issue.
Old 2/3/05, 06:08 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Thats sheet metal????????????????

Jeeeesus! I have that problem and was told it was "road noise"

IT goes tick tick tick tick tick tick......I can only hear it if the windows rolled down- Rear 1/4 of the car on the drivers side.

No Fuel issues except at the racetrac stations. I use exxon now no problems.
Old 2/3/05, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

I hear a ticking noise as well...sounds like hot metal cooling down...more like a "ting" than a "tick". I did hear a different "tick" sound but discovered that it was the fan turning on and off

Quick Reply: Laundry list of issues