V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Help...going to the strip for the 1st time.

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/07, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...going to the strip for the 1st time.

I am going to go to the drags strip for the first time next month. I am trying to get my car set-up as best a possible.

I have basic bolt on's... cold air, tune, gears, t-lok, pulley, exhaust, and lca's.

My main question is my tires. I have 275's all the way around right now. I am pretty sure having such big tires in the front will hurt my performance. Right? And if so, how much?

I don't think my stock V6 wheels will fit over my new GT brake calipers...? So where can I get some cheap wheels from that are smaller?
Old 8/2/07, 07:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scotts05custom
I am going to go to the drags strip for the first time next month. I am trying to get my car set-up as best a possible.

I have basic bolt on's... cold air, tune, gears, t-lok, pulley, exhaust, and lca's.

My main question is my tires. I have 275's all the way around right now. I am pretty sure having such big tires in the front will hurt my performance. Right? And if so, how much?

I don't think my stock V6 wheels will fit over my new GT brake calipers...? So where can I get some cheap wheels from that are smaller?
For a first time trip, I wouldn't sweat that. Just increase the pressure in your front tires to reduce rolling resistance. This is common practice at the strip (45-50psi is generally recommended). You'll find an air station in the pit area at the track for this purpose.
Old 8/2/07, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scotts05custom

Paul is right. Front tire pressure at max, and rear tire pressure at 25 should be ok. Remove your jack and spare tire. Play with your rpms on the launch, start at 1500 rpm and work up from there in 100 rpm increments, perhaps 200 rpm increments.