Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep love my take offs and xpipe!
Old 10/27/05, 04:11 AM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by afixer@October 26, 2005, 9:03 PM
yep love my take offs and xpipe!

Surprise Surprise!! Look what the cat drug in!! Afixer!! Good to see ya man!
Old 10/27/05, 08:39 AM

Hambone & or Afixer:

I am ready to install my left GT muff, just waiting for the
pipe/hangers/x pipe to arrive.

My question: how does the stock V6 catalytic converter Y pipe
fit in to the X pipe? Did the shop just bend it in there or weld
another pipe? I hope I will not need the GT cat. H pipe!

Thanks!
Old 10/27/05, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Afixer and MSP--thanks for doing all the early work on the exhaust stuff :worship: I made use of your documentation, etc.

Island Stang--
Based on afixer's photos and what the guys did for mine--essentially they have to bend/fabricate two short peices of pipe to join the X-pipe forward to the pipe coming from the cats. Search for the post by Afixer--he has great pictures from the underside. I didn't have the camera when they did mine, or I'd have gotten snaps too.

Basically, they cut the Y-junction off, and used a short bent pipe on each side, welded into the X-pipe.

On the BACK side of the X-pipe--I used clamps as suggested and done by afixer---he pointed out how nice it will be for somebody to take off the rear pipes, rather than CUT them off, for rear end work/repairs.

The guys that put mine together "tack welded" the rear pipes to the X-pipe--two small welds on each side that can be easily cut to free the pipe, and a clamp on each side. That will keep it from rattling but will allow it to come apart quite easily.
Old 10/30/05, 06:53 AM
GT Member

Hammy, I dont want to get into changing all the exhaust like you did, at least not now. what i'm looking for is to replace the stock muffler on my v-6 to get a little bit more exhaust note. you have done a lot of research i see, and there are so many choices what would you put on your car if you where me. Note: I did ask the dealer and he told me no you cant fit on a GT muffler the pipe size is diffrent
Thanks
Old 10/30/05, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by gregbe1@October 30, 2005, 9:56 AM
Hammy, I dont want to get into changing all the exhaust like you did, at least not now. what i'm looking for is to replace the stock muffler on my v-6 to get a little bit more exhaust note. you have done a lot of research i see, and there are so many choices what would you put on your car if you where me. Note: I did ask the dealer and he told me no you cant fit on a GT muffler the pipe size is diffrent
Thanks
Hey gregbe,

Play my two files--the one with stock V6 and the other with single GT muffler (first message in this thread). I'd go that route! It's easy...

Well, I think your dealer is WRONG! The pipes are an exact size match! There are dozens of us that have simply bolted on the GT muffer on the right side pipe--just unbolt/unhook the stock V6 muffler, and replace with the GT muffler. It's quite simple, and can be really cheap if you find somebody locally that has their GT's laying around in the way. Current prices are about $40 for a pair (right and left side) plus shipping of about $30 or so.

So--I'd put on a stock GT muffler if you want a $40-75 project. Otherwise, I'd probably get a Magnaflow axle-back for the V6, but it will cost you quite a bit more...
Old 10/30/05, 01:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I went with just the single GT takeoff as well. Here's my clips.

Stock V6
Stock V6

Single GT takeoff
GT takeoff
Old 10/30/05, 06:19 PM
GT Member

Hammy, I have listened to your files many times over, and everyone should thank you and Giddeup and everyone else for your effort and time in this area. I am going to make a decision soon on this.

My 2 next mods after the remote start are going to be the muffler and the K&N cai...one last question, where do you look for the GT knock offs you talk about, I have tried to search on e/bay but no luck, do you have another source

Thanks again
Old 10/30/05, 07:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad you found the video/sound helpful. I know I'm grateful for Afixer sharing his information---it made my project possible!

As for mufflers---check out the "for sale" sections of the common Mustang forums (here and elsewhere...) You might put a "wanted" posting in the right places, too (the V8 sections come to mind!).

You might try Casco, eitehr at their website or their ebay listings...
http://crashparts.cascocompany.net/

Just searched ebay...found a few. search for GT muffler and see what ya find...for example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Mustan...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-MUSTAN...1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10/31/05, 08:08 AM
Bullitt Member

And if you don't want to worry about shipping, a good place to try is locally. I ran into a gal with a GT at the local Drag Strip and she had just happened to have kept her GT exhaust when she upgraded so I bought mine off her.
Old 11/2/05, 01:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

OK, i'm going to be orderign a GT take off bumper from casco and I believe the package he has right now is that it comes with a pair of GT take off mufflers as well. I'm now seriously thinkign about going this way with an X pipe over my original plan of getting JBA's. I'd just like to know peoples opinion on this. My main concern is finding a decent muffler shop on Long Island, the parts and labor will def be cheaper then the JBA setup before labor.

Also, I know there is a person on ebay selling the X pipe, how about H pipes though, I think that will give it a more "muscle" sound, opinions???

Thanks in advance
Old 11/2/05, 04:14 PM
GT Member

Hammy, I have found 2 brand new 05 GT mufflers i'm trying to buy, I have been away and wanted to ask you another question, once you changed to the single GT muffler did you have to do any adjustments to the cars computer tunning, or did you just install and drive

Thanks
Old 11/2/05, 07:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by gregbe1@November 2, 2005, 6:17 PM
Hammy, I have found 2 brand new 05 GT mufflers i'm trying to buy, I have been away and wanted to ask you another question, once you changed to the single GT muffler did you have to do any adjustments to the cars computer tunning, or did you just install and drive

Thanks
I just installed and drove....you might disconnect the battery so it starts "learning" from a blank slate, but not sure it will matter if you do it or not...
Old 11/3/05, 04:19 AM
GT Member

Hammy, thanks for all your help, if i ever see you i'm buying you a beer or 3 / 4 / 5 / 6
Old 11/3/05, 08:59 AM
GT Member

I've read several posts that stated it doesn't hurt to disconnect the battery when doing any mods to exhaust. I've done it several times as we've changed the exhaust config on our car...
Old 11/3/05, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by gregbe1@November 3, 2005, 6:22 AM
Hammy, thanks for all your help, if i ever see you i'm buying you a beer or 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Please post some feedback once your get your stuff installed....it's good to share the info.

Installation hint when swapping the stock muffler for the GT takeoff: Don't try to slide the stock muffler off and the other one on without taking off the hanging brackets---you'll need to unbolt the brackets...(at least I did!)
Old 11/7/05, 04:24 PM
GT Member

Hammy, I won the muffler set on e-bay, will let you know once i get it installed
Old 11/8/05, 10:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm all set now with the parts from Ford to have the dual GT setup on my car. I made the infamous bumper cut last weekend.

One slight modification to the description above - you should REVERSE the template you make in order for the left side to come out truly symetrical with the right. The stock cut-out on the RH side sweeps wide to the outside.
Old 11/12/05, 03:12 PM
GT Member

Hammy, I got the mufflers today, looks like the tail spout is 2" longer then the stock, stock being 7.5" and these are 9.5". What did you use to cut it back, i'm concerned with someone walking by and cutting there leg if it over hangs to far.
Old 11/12/05, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

They don't stick out enough to bother anything or anyone...I like them sticking out a bit to be honest! Adds to the look.

I suppose you could have somebody remove them and cut them, but I wouldn't bother....

Quick Reply: Dual GT takeoffs+Xpipe video/sound