V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Dual GT takeoffs+Xpipe video/sound

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/05, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got the video/sound of the dual GT take off mufflers + Magnaflow X-pipe:

http://www.savefile.com/files/4544897 V6 with DUAL GT takeoffs + X-pipe

Here are 3 more video clips from the "evolution" []:

http://www.savefile.com/files/8917556 stock V6 muffler

http://www.savefile.com/files/9606842 V6 with NO muffler

http://www.savefile.com/files/5376913 V6 with single GT takeoff muffer
Old 10/23/05, 03:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds good man!
Old 10/23/05, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I would like to hear the x-pipe one again. It looks/sounds like the car wasnt warm. The idle seemed really high.

Good work anyway.
Old 10/23/05, 06:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Actually, if you'll listen to the dual/x-pipe one, at first it's idling pretty slow/low, and then I shut it off. Then I restart, and the idle speed picks up. That's why I cut the video like that..so you can hear both slow/low and faster idle

the car was barely warmed up....so it's gonna idle high! hehe
Old 10/26/05, 02:31 AM

V6 with DUAL GT takeoffs + X-pipe = WOW
Old 10/26/05, 04:38 AM
GT Member

What was your final cost to do the duals, and did you cut out the slot on bumper to have the tail spout come through, if so what did you use and did you make a template

sounds mighty good
Old 10/26/05, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Here is the breakdown of costs for my install:

GT takeoff mufflers from forum member: $70
Driver's side pipe from Ford dealer: $100
2.5" Magnaflow X-pipe from ebay dealer: $75
2 Muffler brackets (mail order dealer) $80 total
Labor at local Mustang shop to install above: $150
Total about $475 (ugh...not cheap)

You might get it cheaper by having a good muffler shop bend you a pipe for a lot less---but I wanted a factory pipe connection at the rear of the pipe to the factory hangers so that I basically have a "GT" muffler system at the tail end...it will allow me to install any axle-back GT mufflers like a stock GT now

As for the bumper cut---I did what several others have reported in the forums:

1) make a paper template of the existing hole
2) use masking tape on the bumper on driver's side
3) use template to draw on masking tape
4) use a sharp box cutter (Stanley knife) to rough cut the hole, about 1/4" smaller than the trace; go slowly and it will cut fine
5) use a Dremel tool with cylinder sander to finish the hole
Old 10/26/05, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

It makes me happy every time someone uses my box knife methods ... There's just something about knowing someone willingly took a knife to their car and came away happy afterwards
Old 10/26/05, 11:44 AM
GT Member

I dont think thats a lot of cash spent, i'm having factory remote start installed for $390.00 and it's not going to sound like your car

How noisy is it in the passanger compartment when driving, I don't want to be drowned out
Old 10/26/05, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I have a convertible---and I don't consider it noisy at cruising or slower speeds. When I go wide open, it has a nice report I imagine a hard top will have less....
Old 10/26/05, 02:08 PM

Kind of Off-Topic but kind of on...

My brother N Law's next door neighbor has a '05 GT [1/2 from me]. I believe he told me that his neighbor is planing on replacing his Exhaust System. Now assuming he replaces from the headers on down, would it be a good idea to try and work a deal with his old GT Stock parts?

Oh, those Downloads do not seem to work for me....
Old 10/26/05, 02:26 PM

wow great videos! Yeah the x-pipe one feels a little short, but I really appreicate your ability to shoot them all basically from the same angle and listening position. Most of the clips I saw didnt feel like "comparisons" but yours did!

I also like seeing the result you got! I am going the same way you are. I got my GT pull offs from e-bay and once they get here I will be running the single gt muffler for now. Once I get the cash together (too many other mods at once haha!), I will be doing just like you did.

One question though, why a x-pipe vs an h-pipe vas dual all the way back. I know I am prolly opening a can of worms with that question, but is there a performance reason, or is it just sound based?

Thanks!

Hey Odie,
The mpg files I had to watch in WinDvD. Not sure if WMP didnt have the codec or if its something else. You might just need the right codec to view them. If the files are DivX, then I know you can get that codec online for free if you look around.

If your issue wasnt they wouldnt download, I had to use the link in the page, I dont know if it was set to auto initiate a download or not.

Hope you get to see them!
Old 10/26/05, 04:03 PM

Naw, I ended up getting them - it was a temp issue with the site I guess. They pretty much rock!

However, I would like a nice close up picture of the "cut" job that was done to see what it will look like.
Old 10/26/05, 05:39 PM
GT Member

Hammy thanks for the details on the cost and the template, I also have a convertible it has 365 miles on it now it's brand new...i shiver and shake when thinking about cutting a hole in my bumper. I just want to get a little more throat in my exhaust then what the stock can do but I dont want it to sound like a wet fart...lol
I'm willing to get cat back or maybe just that gt takeoff, what do you think? BTW explain what the GT takeoff is, i'm not sure on the wording of takeoff

thanks
Old 10/26/05, 07:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by odie3@October 26, 2005, 4:11 PM
Kind of Off-Topic but kind of on...

My brother N Law's next door neighbor has a '05 GT [1/2 from me]. I believe he told me that his neighbor is planing on replacing his Exhaust System. Now assuming he replaces from the headers on down, would it be a good idea to try and work a deal with his old GT Stock parts?
Oh, those Downloads do not seem to work for me....
Don't know why downloads won't work...try later??

As for the parts--you should be able to by the pair of mufflers for about $40 if you don't have to pay for shipping! that's the going rate on ebay...

You might want the driver's side pipe (from muffler, over axle, to the middle of the car). That is worth $100 if you have to buy new...
Old 10/26/05, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Spdrcr@October 26, 2005, 4:29 PM
wow great videos! Yeah the x-pipe one feels a little short, but I really appreicate your ability to shoot them all basically from the same angle and listening position. Most of the clips I saw didnt feel like "comparisons" but yours did!

I also like seeing the result you got! I am going the same way you are. I got my GT pull offs from e-bay and once they get here I will be running the single gt muffler for now. Once I get the cash together (too many other mods at once haha!), I will be doing just like you did.

One question though, why a x-pipe vs an h-pipe vas dual all the way back. I know I am prolly opening a can of worms with that question, but is there a performance reason, or is it just sound based?

Thanks!

Glad you found them useful! I'm a scientist, so it's important to have few variables in an experiment, even if it's just a muffler experiment hehe

The sound of the single GT takeoff is pretty darned good!!

I went X-pipe based on a few things: reading about the sound, mabe a bit more HP, and because I wanted to use clamps on the back side of the X-pipe (muffler side) Search for afixer's posts, and you'll see his setup, mine is similar. This will allow the removal of the rear pipes to replace/repair the gastank, etc. etc. It comes close to stock...
Old 10/26/05, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by gregbe1@October 26, 2005, 7:42 PM
Hammy thanks for the details on the cost and the template, I also have a convertible it has 365 miles on it now it's brand new...i shiver and shake when thinking about cutting a hole in my bumper. I just want to get a little more throat in my exhaust then what the stock can do but I dont want it to sound like a wet fart...lol
I'm willing to get cat back or maybe just that gt takeoff, what do you think? BTW explain what the GT takeoff is, i'm not sure on the wording of takeoff

thanks
Yo gregbe,

A GT takeoff means it's a part taken off a GT...quite simple. So, the GT takeoff muffler is one taken off a GT, because the GT person installed a custom set of mufflers and didn't want them anymore..so we buy them cheap

A single GT muffler install should take 30 mins or more and sounds a good deal better than the stock one---so it's worth it for sure. Simple, no mods to bumper, and sound is good.

I wanted SYMMETRY so I put the other side on And I put it on at about 2800 miles or so...I had to get used to the idea of cutting a hole, too hehe
Old 10/26/05, 08:13 PM
GT Member

hahaha, i thought the gt takeoff was just that, but wanted to make sure, I was just visiting Ford Racing, they show a Borla muffler for the V-6 $230.00. I see through one of your post you got one for $70.00 I will search like you did

Hey do you have a K&N CAI

Thanks Hammy
Old 10/26/05, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I got a PAIR of the GT mufflers shipped to me for $70.

I have a JMS CAI filter...
Old 10/26/05, 08:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by odie3@October 26, 2005, 6:06 PM

However, I would like a nice close up picture of the "cut" job that was done to see what it will look like.
odie3,

Here are some pictures showing the cut job, both up close and at distance:

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/thu....php?album=271

Quick Reply: Dual GT takeoffs+Xpipe video/sound